Thread: SA-1 or SF-1?

SA-1 or SF-1?

I recently lost the use of an SA-1 middle pickup (open ckt coil). I'm thinking of replacing it with an SF-1, and the neck pu also with an SF-1R. Tonally what difference could I expect compared to the SA's? Would the SF's work well with the switcheroo system?
    TAG C+2 & HDT , Godin A12, Homemade Koa/maple top hollow body electric, 1992 PRS Custom 24 Lacewood, Gibson Chet Atkins CE, 1976 Ovation Breadwinner, Ovation MM68 mandolin, Alvarez/Yairi DY87 dbl neck, 2015 Taylor 916ce

As far as I know, the SF and SC pickups are the same, one is covered one is not. If so, I can tell you the SC1 is much darker than the SA. I have SC's in my guitar and I love them, but I wish I had the SA's in there. My buddy has SA's and they sparkle and the split sound is killer! Hope this helps a bit,
    Kurt

You can split or run the SFs in parallel just like the SAs. However, we designed the SFs to be a great sounding single coil and the split/parallel sounds a very bright. The SAs would be the better choice with a Switcheroo.