Thread: Short T Classic with PH-1 in neck

Short T Classic with PH-1 in neck

I'm thinking of replacing an H1- with a PH1- in the neck position of a Short T Classic with a TF-3 in the bridge. (5 way for 2 pickups w/pull on tone for VA boost.) Has anyone tried that combination?
    Last edited by hollow3; 03-14-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: correction

tom is offline Supreme Commander of the Anderson Empire
    we have certainly made some equipped like that so there should be some response about how useful it is. i have done a lot of H to PH swapping in guitars so i can give you my observations. keep in mind i'm an amp on the verge of breakup to mid gain guy, no shredding, or pristine clean tones.

going from HC1- to ph1-, the ph is a softer top end, which shines nicely when played lightly, yet barks pretty good when you dig in, not as hard on the top as the HB. balance with the
    Tf3 is good and i think the tonality between them is complementary.

Ph1-

Thanks Tom. I take a very similar approach to gain so I think this would be a good swap for me. Any suggestion as to how to wire pos 2?
    Jerry

it can be the same as the HC was, ph has 2 coils so it will do parallel also.

Tom, are the PQ and PH side by side or stacked?

they are side by side, but the coils are rotated 90 degrees so they are both aimed at the one row of screws as pole pieces. so all the same impedance rules of a hb are valid, series, parallel, split. because of their orientation, a split ph will not perfectly humcancel with a split hb as the coils are not on the same plane. but two ph's will.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    they are side by side, but the coils are rotated 90 degrees so they are both aimed at the one row of screws as pole pieces. so all the same impedance rules of a hb are valid, series, parallel, split. because of their orientation, a split ph will not perfectly humcancel with a split hb as the coils are not on the same plane. but two ph's will.
    Nice design!

the concept near as i can remember came from the gibson EB0 bass pickup, not a great pickup in a not great position on a not great bass, but a good idea none the less.

Interesting. Now I need to find a HH guitar so I can try them out!