PDA

View Full Version : So, which decade of music was cool?

pluto
07-28-2004, 06:39 PM
I was just thinking this the other day and I gotta say the 70's was awesome. So many great bands and great music came from this generation from rock to country to funk to pop, etc., etc. Examples: Metal- Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Diamond Head, Tygers of Pan Tag, Riot; Rock- UFO, Mahogany Rush, Rush, B.O.C., Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Rainbow (not to mention that Led Zep and Deep Purple peeked in the 70s); FM AOR-Rasberries, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Jackson Browne, Steeley Dan, Eagles, ELO, Badfinger; Prog-Yes, ELP, UK; Glam-T Rex, Bowie, Sweet; New Wave-E. Costello, Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunneymen, Go Gos, Magazine, Simple Minds, Japan, Talking Heads, Police; Punk-Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie, Adolescents. I know I left out a lot, but the 70's had some great music. As for the other decades- 60's would be second place, 80's third, 90's fourth, 2000 last. Do you see a pattern?

michaelomiya
07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Examples: Metal- Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Diamond Head, Tygers of Pan Tag, Riot; Rock- UFO, Mahogany Rush, Rush, B.O.C., Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Rainbow (not to mention that Led Zep and Deep Purple peeked in the 70s); FM AOR-Rasberries, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Jackson Browne, Steeley Dan, Eagles, ELO, Badfinger; Prog-Yes, ELP, UK; Glam-T Rex, Bowie, Sweet; New Wave-E. Costello, Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunneymen, Go Gos, Magazine, Simple Minds, Japan, Talking Heads, Police; Punk-Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie, Adolescents.

ahhhh.....excuse me......you forgot,

1. Van Halen
2. Aerosmith
3. Cheap Trick
4. Ted Nugent
5. Styx
6. Journey
7. Lynryd Skynryd
8. Toto
9. Heart
10. KISS
11. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
12. The Cars
13. Elton John
14. Billy Joel
15. Rod Stewart
16. Mountain
17. BTO
18. Grand Funk
19. Larry Carlton
20. Zappa and the Mothers (late 60's)
21. Billy Gibbons/ZZ Top

Yeah, I'd say that the 70's gave us some great music.

But, the eighties brought us:
1. Stevie Ray Vaughn
2. Eric Johnson
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4. Mike Stern
5. Randy/Ozzy
6. Akira/Loudness
7. Paul Gilbert/Racer X
8. George/Dokken
9. Warren/RATT
10. Dio/Vivian Campbell
11. Alex Skolnick
12. Metallica (Jaymes)
13. The CRUE!
14. Asia (say what you want, I love Steve Howe in this context)
15. Greg Howe
16. Leather Wolf & XYZ
17. Vito Bratta/White Lion
18. Slash/Guns
19. Gillis & Watson/Night Ranger
20. Prince (late 70's? but peaking in the 80's)

I'd say a tie between the 70's and the 80's.

The 60's? Cream/Clapton, Hendrix, Beatles (of course!), Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane

pluto
07-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Van Halen? Who's that? Ha! I knew I forgot a lot, and I actually regret forgetting VH and especially Cheap Trick who were one of my fave bands and the Cars. As for Styx? Well, we know how I feel about them! :D

michaelomiya
07-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Van Halen? Who's that? Ha!
Oh man, let's NOT go there. (offline, brotha, offline!)

As for Styx? Well, we know how I feel about them! :D
Once again, Tommy Shaw! Grand Illusion? Crystal Ball? Pieces of Eight - Renegade/Blue Collar Man?!?!?!?!??!?! Even Cornerstone's - Never Say Never. Say what you will about the "over the top" opuses of Dennis DeYoung, but his vocals and piano are what catapulted Styx to the heights of popularity in 1977-1980.

michaelomiya
07-28-2004, 11:14 PM
oh yeah, the 70's also brought us:

1. Earth Wind and Fire
2. Parliament/George Clinton
3. Wild Cherry
4. LTD
5. the Bee Gees
6. Donna Summer
7. Peter Frampton
8. ABBA
9. KC & the Sunshine Band
10. AC/DC
11. Air Supply
12. Olivia Newton John
13. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass (I've got their greatest hits:eek:)
14. Barry Manilow
15. the Steve Miller Band
16. QUEEN!!!!!!
17. Creedence Clearwater Revival
18. the Runaways
19. the Tubes (White Punks on Dope)
20. the Outlaws
21. Molly Hatchet
22. 38 Special
23. The Babys (I'm Back on My Feet Again!)
24. Kansas
25. Boston
26. Chicago
27. Alabama
28. Quarterflash (I'm Gonna Harden My Heart or was that early 80's?)
29. Dire Straits/Knofler
30. the Clash
31. Black Oak Arkansas (pre DLR, and Tommy Aldridge)
32. Pat Travers (smokin whiskey, and boom, boom, out go the lights!)
33. Triumph
35. Montrose
36. Rainbow (I know you mentioned Ritchie already)
37. Pat Benatar
38. Blondie
39. the Talking Heads
40. THE RAMONES
41. Pink Floyd!!!!
42. NY Dolls/Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
43. MC5/Iggy Pop
44. David Bowie
45. Bob Marley
46. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
47. the Carpenters
48. Jim Croce
49. John Denver
50. THE PRETENDERS!!
51. Linda Ronstadt
52. Bad Company
53. Cheech and Chong
54. George Carlin
55. Steve Martin

ahhhhhh! I'm spent. I can't think any harder. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Wow, I was 12 at the end of the 70's, and I feel like a geezer now! Anyone remember Circus Magazine, CREEM or Hit Parader. I remember Licorice Pizza, Music Plus and the Wherehouse. How about Records, singles, 8 tracks, cassettes or LP's. Anyone under 20 is going, "huh?, oh that's what my parents had when to play when they listend to music"....ouch. Here's one - anyone (in LA) remember 94.7 KMET? the MIGHTHY MET? Paraquat Kelly and Jeff Gonzer? Man the late 70's and early 80's were a great time for music.

Stan Malinowski
07-29-2004, 06:22 AM
Man, what a trip down memory lane....in some cases I wish I had amnesia!!!:D

I would have to classsify the 70's (more so he early and mid years) as the best decade, 60's (later years in particular) as the second best. SRV (IMO saved the 80's with some early help from VH). The decades following these have been very sad music-wise. Some of the present generation blues/rockers have kept a spark alive - examples: Michael Burks, Bernard Allison, Melvin Taylor, etc.

tmihm
07-29-2004, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by michaelomiya
[B]
20. Zappa and the Mothers (late 60's)

I think FZ's stuff peaked in the 80's. RIP, Fank :(

Hey...and let's not forget Todd Rundgren or Genesis. Their careers started in the 60's and still going.

nickdahl
07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Part of it depends on age, and part of it depends on the music. I agree with everyone so far: the 70s were hot for rock music. Something about adolescence and emotions.

Nick

pluto
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
So true about the 70s. I know it's not really an indication of my age since I was a teenager in the 80's. It's just that, music had so much diversity back then unlike the more recent years. Look at the 90s-there was grunge, brit pop, nu metal, industrial (really more of a 80's thing), and that's about it, none of which showed great musical expertise. 2000-I don't even know but I don't like what I'm hearing on the radio.

Stan Malinowski
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey...and let's not forget Todd Rundgren or Genesis. Their careers started in the 60's

I never realized Genesis started in the 60's, I usually think of them as a 70's phenomena, followed by Gabriel and Collin's solo careers in the 80's. Did they do any "major-label" stuff in the 60's?

pluto
07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
oh yeah, the 70's also brought us:

1. Earth Wind and Fire
2. Parliament/George Clinton
3. Wild Cherry
4. LTD
5. the Bee Gees
6. Donna Summer
7. Peter Frampton
8. ABBA
9. KC & the Sunshine Band
10. AC/DC
11. Air Supply
12. Olivia Newton John
13. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass (I've got their greatest hits:eek:)
14. Barry Manilow
15. the Steve Miller Band
16. QUEEN!!!!!!
17. Creedence Clearwater Revival
18. the Runaways
19. the Tubes (White Punks on Dope)
20. the Outlaws
21. Molly Hatchet
22. 38 Special
23. The Babys (I'm Back on My Feet Again!)
24. Kansas
25. Boston
26. Chicago
27. Alabama
28. Quarterflash (I'm Gonna Harden My Heart or was that early 80's?)
29. Dire Straits/Knofler
30. the Clash
31. Black Oak Arkansas (pre DLR, and Tommy Aldridge)
32. Pat Travers (smokin whiskey, and boom, boom, out go the lights!)
33. Triumph
35. Montrose
36. Rainbow (I know you mentioned Ritchie already)
37. Pat Benatar
38. Blondie
39. the Talking Heads
40. THE RAMONES
41. Pink Floyd!!!!
42. NY Dolls/Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
43. MC5/Iggy Pop
44. David Bowie
45. Bob Marley
46. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
47. the Carpenters
48. Jim Croce
49. John Denver
50. THE PRETENDERS!!
51. Linda Ronstadt
52. Bad Company
53. Cheech and Chong
54. George Carlin
55. Steve Martin

ahhhhhh! I'm spent. I can't think any harder. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Wow, I was 12 at the end of the 70's, and I feel like a geezer now! Anyone remember Circus Magazine, CREEM or Hit Parader. I remember Licorice Pizza, Music Plus and the Wherehouse. How about Records, singles, 8 tracks, cassettes or LP's. Anyone under 20 is going, "huh?, oh that's what my parents had when to play when they listend to music"....ouch. Here's one - anyone (in LA) remember 94.7 KMET? the MIGHTHY MET? Paraquat Kelly and Jeff Gonzer? Man the late 70's and early 80's were a great time for music.

Cream Magazine and Hit Parader!!!! Man, that brings back some memories!!! I can't believe I forgot Bad Co. (and Free) too-Paul Rodgers, he was cool, and AC/DC (that was a big oversight along with VH), along with some of those southern rockers like L.S., Molly Hatchet, and 38 Special. I also forgot April Wine (I like to rock, so I can hawk! What the heck was that song about??). I didn't mention Fleetwood Mac since they were really a 60's band who peeked in the 70's like Led Zep and Deep Purple.

tmihm
07-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I never realized Genesis started in the 60's, I usually think of them as a 70's phenomena, followed by Gabriel and Collin's solo careers in the 80's. Did they do any "major-label" stuff in the 60's?
No...and they just just released one (I think...) in 1969 called 'In The Beginning'...none which I believe had any airplay. I think 72 was when they started becoming popular.

I remember the top-ten list of albums in '74, and the top 4 bands were Yes, King Crimson, Genesis and ELP. :)

I'm 'old' and stuff....but man...THOSE were probably 'the days'.

'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' is by far my favorite ;)

Some of Steve Hackett's guitars were out on ebay a little while back. Not sure what kinda $$$ they turned though.

....did anybody say Neil Young? There's a five-decade dude.

Craig Walker
07-29-2004, 09:33 PM
70s. :cool:

pcbb
07-30-2004, 03:04 AM
80's

tmihm
07-30-2004, 04:53 AM
Don Kirshner's Midnight Special :)

Stan Malinowski
07-30-2004, 06:13 AM
Don Kirshner's Midnight Special

Actually it was Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. The Midnight Special was a similar show that aired on NBC on Friday Nights.

OK, I am old and showing my age!:D Both were really cool shows. On Kirshner's RC it seemed like Golden Earring was on every other week! I can always remember at the end of Radar Love the drummer had some sort of "expolosive charge" that blew him off his throne and over the drum set. Quite impressive when I was 15. Also made me want to become a guitarist instead of a drummer....guitar seemed much safer!:D

Thanks for the flashback tmihm.

tmihm
07-30-2004, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Actually it was Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. The Midnight Special was a similar show that aired on NBC on Friday Nights.

You're absolutely right, Stan. Yeah....boy, I wonder if you can get compilations of any of that stuff these days?

I can always remember at the end of Radar Love the drummer had some sort of "expolosive charge" that blew him off his throne and over the drum set. Quite impressive when I was 15. Also made me want to become a guitarist instead of a drummer....guitar seemed much safer!:D

Maybe the story behind Spinal Tap's drummer 'problems' staying alive???

:confused: :D