PDA

View Full Version : M pickup question

pdicristina
07-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I apologize in advance if this a dumb question - but I'm curious as to whether anyone can clue me in as to the tonal difference between a mini and regular humbucker.
Specifically, on a guitar like a Hollow Cobra, would the M result in a thinner tone? less lows and mids? more high frequencies? lower output?

The Anderson website doesn't have any M info (yet), so any insights are appreciated.

sylvanshine
07-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Not a dumb question at all. It's really hard to describe though, so my answer comes from my perspective. Other forumites will probably have additional/contradictory insight.

I currently have a Hollow Cobra with an H2+ and an H1+. My other Cobra is a M3-M1-M1. Playing through the same amp, here are the differences I hear.

*M's are glassier with a tad less output, especially in the bridge.
*M's split much better than H's, meaning they really do the single coil tones well ("Strat Spank")
*M's occupy that sonic space between single coil and humbucker, but definitely not P-90 (M's are humcancelling).
*For a humbucker guy like myself, the M's get me the beefed up "Strat" sounds I never could get from a standard 3 single coil guitar.
*I can get really close to humbucker territory with my M's if I use a Fulldrive II boosting the input of my amp.

oscar100
07-28-2004, 02:00 PM
i agree with jay

got various m series loaded gtrs

the M 1 's give me a suprb fat strat but glassy and teh m 2/3 is more focused and less splattery than a humbucker but with excellent grind capabilities

:p

pdicristina
07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Wow - it is tough to get a sense of this. It sure would be great if there were some reference MP3s or WAVs somewhere.

So by excellent grind - you mean that you can still get the chunky heavy distortion power chord thing with an M (that you can't really get with a single coil)?

sylvanshine
07-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by pdicristina
So by excellent grind - you mean that you can still get the chunky heavy distortion power chord thing with an M (that you can't really get with a single coil)?

In my experience, plenty of crunch with a Shiva or an Ecstasy. That being said, not as much as a humbucker, but definitely not a single coil.

IMHO, an M3 is more Van Halen and AC/DC than Metallica and Korn. Not for drop C.

tom
07-28-2004, 04:18 PM
"IMHO, an M3 is more Van Halen and AC/DC than Metallica and Korn. Not for drop C."
well put, i'd agree.