PDA

View Full Version : Barber LTD

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Anybody have (use) the Barber LTD Overdrive Pedal? Definitley not a high gainer but seems more like a boost type pedal. Appreciate any input.

michaelomiya
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Anybody have (use) the Barber LTD Overdrive Pedal? Definitley not a high gainer but seems more like a boost type pedal. Appreciate any input.

stan, I've used both the SS direct drive and the LTD in front of my Marshalls. for the record, I used the LTD as a solo booster and the SS Direct Drive as an OD. they sound incredible! the Barber's have this "transparency" that doesn't add unwanted "color" or shmear to the tone (as opposed to a Boss SD1 as a boost). The LTD is sooooo smoooth. pop it on, and go to town on the solo break. Heck, leave it on, and it cuts right through! Play a cobra through a Marshall, and kick in the LTD, and hear the sonic clouds part and the sizzle shine through! while I believe that Barber test/designs his pedals w/ a BF fender (and BTW, Barber's sound WONDERFUL through a 67 ProReverb), the LTD is a keeper even for Marshall users. In fact, I'm in the market for both the SS direct drive and the LTD. and this is from someone who believes that an Anderson and a marshall head is pretty much all the tone you'll need! Barber's ROCK!

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 12:47 PM
I'd plan on using the LTD Thru:

1) BF Princeton Reverb
2) Carr Mercury
3) Carr Rambler

The transparency of the LTD sounds like what I am looking for. Sounds like my guess of its low gain being more like a boost was sort of accurate.

Nuff said, LTD on order!

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried uping the power supply voltages on their Barber LTD, SS or DD? They advertise the ability to handle voltages from 9V to 18V.

What's the higher voltages do to the tone?

pluto
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried uping the power supply voltages on their Barber LTD, SS or DD? They advertise the ability to handle voltages from 9V to 18V.

What's the higher voltages do to the tone?

Stan, sorry I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday, and sorry that this answer does not come from first hand experience-BUT, my understanding is that some people like having 18 volts or double voltage for increased headroom, thus supposedly creating a smoother more transparent overdrive. I remember a couple of years ago, people were modding their fulldrive 2s to 18 volts for that reason and swear it sounded better. I know the Maxon OD820 has an internal voltage doubling thingy (my highest tech word for the day!!) as does the Time Machine Boost. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but that's what I have read over the years.

Stan Malinowski
07-29-2004, 06:17 AM
Pluto,

Now that I think about it your explanation is pretty accurate. Raising power supply voltages (or the the rail voltages in engineering terms) will allow a larger signal to pass before it is altered, in this "clipped" when it hits the rail voltage. A larger unclipped signal potential means more headroom. Thanks for getting the thought process going!

RacerTippy
07-29-2004, 10:40 AM
What I never understood is why in the world would you want more headroom in a distortion (uhh, overdrive, whatever) pedal?
Doesn't that seem counter to the purpose?

pluto
07-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by RacerTippy
What I never understood is why in the world would you want more headroom in a distortion (uhh, overdrive, whatever) pedal?
Doesn't that seem counter to the purpose?

I think if you're using a clean boost or an overdrive pedal that's being used more as a boost, then increased headroom would be cool. But, I don't know of any distortion pedal that advertises or markets itself as having double voltage capabilities, because as you said, it would appear to counter what a distortion pedal is supposed to do. Not that I know anything anyway!!

Stan Malinowski
07-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Please remember what the difference between an overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal are:

1) Overdrive pedals are designed to increase the amplitude of inputs without causing modification to the input waveform. Basically it makes the signal "hotter"

2) Distortion pedals on the other hand are intended, as their name states, to "distort" the signal. This distortion of the signal includes amplifing the signal to a point where the electronics will not reproduce the input signal accurately (clipping the signal).

Therefore you may want more headroom in an od pedal, extra headroom in a distortion pedal is most likely not wanted.

Stan Malinowski
08-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I ordered the LTD paedal from Barber on Monday and received it Friday (and they even had to build it). I've run the pedal thru the "clean" settings on my Carr Mercury at the 2Watt output setting. What tone! Left the tone at neutral (12 o'clock) and the Drive at 1:30. My Andy Classics and my Fender CS 56 Relic sing thru this thing, just the right amount of grind/overdrive that I was looking for. And for $99, simply amazing performance/cost ratio.

michaelomiya
08-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I ordered the LTD paedal from Barber on Monday and received it Friday (and they even had to build it). I've run the pedal thru the "clean" settings on my Carr Mercury at the 2Watt output setting. What tone! Left the tone at neutral (12 o'clock) and the Drive at 1:30. My Andy Classics and my Fender CS 56 Relic sing thru this thing, just the right amount of grind/overdrive that I was looking for. And for $99, simply amazing performance/cost ratio.

congrats Stan! glad it's working out!

Stan Malinowski
08-04-2004, 08:59 AM
After using the LTD a few more times I am amazed at the transparency of the tone. I prefer to use OD pedals which are transparent as oppossed to pedals which color the sound like Tubescreamers. My all time favorite for transparent OD has been the Fulltone FD2 but the Barber LTD is AT LEAST as good from this standpoint.

joe1962
08-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Stan, I've been using he FDII now for a few years but recently tried out a LTD and liked it a lot for low gain tones. Is it just me or do you find that the LTD seems to have a little more sustain than the FDII FM mode when set to light gain?

Stan Malinowski
08-04-2004, 09:50 AM
do you find that the LTD seems to have a little more sustain than the FDII FM mode when set to light gain?

Good observation Joe! I agree with you 100%. It does over a very clean, transparent, silky type of sustain at low gain settings. I must admit I was a bit worried about ordering an OD Pedal described as "low or light gain". I thought maybe it wouldn't have enough push behind it. To me its gain levels fall somwhere between my ZVex Super Duper Booster and my FD2. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for as a front end to my Carr Mercury & Rambler and my BF Princeton Verb. In reality I found I was using my FD2 at what would be considered "low gain" settings anyway. I very rarely, if ever, use the second stage on the FD2.

joe1962
08-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I may have to pick up a LTD. I liked what I heard when I tried it out. I also want to try one of the TIM pedals everyone has been raving about too. They seem to be hard to get though.

Good observation Joe! I agree with you 100%. It does over a very clean, transparent, silky type of sustain at low gain settings. I must admit I was a bit worried about ordering an OD Pedal described as "low or light gain". I thought maybe it wouldn't have enough push behind it. To me its gain levels fall somwhere between my ZVex Super Duper Booster and my FD2. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for as a front end to my Carr Mercury & Rambler and my BF Princeton Verb. In reality I found I was using my FD2 at what would be considered "low gain" settings anyway. I very rarely, if ever, use the second stage on the FD2.

Stan Malinowski
08-04-2004, 10:23 AM
also want to try one of the TIM pedals everyone has been raving about too. They seem to be hard to get though.

One of the pictures Scott Peterson posted of his pedalboard has a TIM on it. Maybe he can comment on it for us?

pluto
08-04-2004, 12:16 PM
One of the pictures Scott Peterson posted of his pedalboard has a TIM on it. Maybe he can comment on it for us?

I'm not Scott, but I used to own a TIM once upon a time. I had one of the older pedals-unpainted metal enclosure, computer tape labels instead of silk screen, etc. Great pedal-very natural and open overdrive with very little compression. Doesn't seem to color your amp at all. I put it in front of my old Shiva and liked it a lot to give that amp just a little bit more push. There were also two functions I didn't use-a loop and a second boost. I have absolutely no idea what the loop was for. I asked Paul C. about it, and I don't remember what his answer was. Lastly, Paul's a really cool guy-I highly recommend this pedal if you're looking for an uncompressed, light overdrive that does not color your amp. I have no idea what the waiting time for his pedal is nowadays (I waited about a week and a half), but I hear it's longer than what it used to be due to increased demand. Not sure what the cost is now too, but I paid $145, including priority mail shipping to Hawaii.

Stan Malinowski
08-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Mark,

Is there a website for the "TIM"?

joe1962
08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
pluto, I noticed you said you didn't use the boost. Why not? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to get the Tim or the smaller Timmy which leaves off the boost and loop. I don't think I'd ever use the loop, but was thinking the boost might be useful. If not I'd rather just have it in a smaller box and leave off th boost.

pluto
08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Mark,

Is there a website for the "TIM"?

Not that I know of. I ordered it directly from him. I got his email address from the old PRS forum gearpage. I'm pretty sure his email is still floating around there. I'll pm what I think his email address is but he could've changed it. He usually takes a day to get back to you because (at least at the time) he has a day job.

pluto
08-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by joe1962
pluto, I noticed you said you didn't use the boost. Why not? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to get the Tim or the smaller Timmy which leaves off the boost and loop. I don't think I'd ever use the loop, but was thinking the boost might be useful. If not I'd rather just have it in a smaller box and leave off th boost.

I didn't know there were two versions now. As for why I didn't use the boost, there was enough overdrive for my use without it. I was simply trying to push my amp a little harder since my amp had a lot of gain already. If you want more drive, I would get it with the boost option. I still can't figure out what the loop was supposed to do though!!

joe1962
08-04-2004, 12:36 PM
I think I will get the boost option then. From what I've heard the smaller one is harder to get anyway, and takes longer. I'm going to try to give him a call today and get a Tim on order.

pluto
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by joe1962
I think I will get the boost option then. From what I've heard the smaller one is harder to get anyway, and takes longer. I'm going to try to give him a call today and get a Tim on order.

I would talk to Paul to see which one fits your needs better. He's super cool and he delivered when promised. I think there was like a week trial period too. Anyway, when I sold it, he heard about it and contacted me to find out if the pedal failed to meet my expectations. He wasn't mad or anything like that. He just was concerned or worried that I wasted my money. BTW-How much does the TIM cost these days and how long do you have to wait for it?

pittster
08-04-2004, 06:13 PM
I ordered my TIM end of May this year-paid about $160 roughly-from order to arriving at my door (in UK) took about 2 weeks (did ask if I could have it asap due to up-coming important gigs)....was a bit tricky getting hold of Paul, but he does answer emails eventually, although if you live in USA he does recommend phoning him...this pedal is not all hype...have sold my Cornish SS-2 and Zvex SHO due to the fact that the TIM makes both pedals redundant..I run the pedal into a Victoria 35210 with no other distortion other than the amp's...trust me guys, buy one of these pedals, they really are that good (if mild/moderate SRV OD with good boost is your thing). My new Andy just sounds incredible through it, much more so than my Fender Time Machine 60s gtr.