PDA

View Full Version : VA5 Pickups questions

Casper
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Folks-
My new (to me) Classic has the VA5's and I'm loving them. Having to get used to the strat noise is a minor thing. I noticed when I got it that the pickups were awful low set in the pickguard. It plays and sounds fine as far as I know and hear, but I was wondering about the string distance and the relationship of noise to power. Is more distance = less noise? Or a better question, does the standard Anderson pickup adjustment guidelines apply to VA series? I know its also a feel thing..just seems a bit odd. Also, does the VA boost switch affect the noise more or less?
Any thoughts from VA players or Andy folk?
Pics forthcoming btw..I know the rules ;)
Shaun

tom
09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
the VA5's magnetic pull is the strongest in our line, so if they are close, you will notice more dampening of the strings and the typical stratitis when playing the wound strings above the 6th fret.

lower helps with all that interference, but does make the signal to noise ratio worse. finding the balance is a personal thing. roy like the treble real close and bass side backed off quite a bit. i'm hyper sensitive to the string pull thing so i run them very low on both sides.

never try to intonate the guitar with the pickups up high. you will get wacky settings.

others can comment on why they like how they set them. there is not a right or wrong here, just what works for you.

Casper
09-10-2013, 01:48 PM
All good info Tom, like I said, it plays and sounds great, but when you get a guitar not factory set, you wonder if its set up properly..I'll just leave it alone. I usually get into trouble futzing around with something.

Pietro
09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
pics.... uh... now...

Casper
09-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Shes getting readied for the weekend tomorrow..I'll snap a few..:p