PDA

View Full Version : Wireless???

Dfarr
07-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm looking into a wireless guitar system. Anyone out there with any advice on which ones are reliable as far as no dropouts and no tone loss, as well as digital vs. analog? Please chime in!

Thanks, Dfarr

Ray K.
07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I've been a long time wireless user and am still using Samson gear, though no longer in production. If I needed to get another system, it would be a Sennheiser. I use their wireless units for my IEM's and have had zero issues.

Ray K.

dplight
07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I've been using Audio Technica for lots of years and am satisfied. It's not completely transparent, but is close enough for Rock-n-Roll.
I'd like to try the Line 6 digital system, but would be a bit nervous about interference from WiFi.

pipedwho
07-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Prepare for information overload:

Ages ago I had a Sennheiser EW300 and it was very nice, but there was a bit of compression and tone loss (take into account that I'm a huge tone-o-phile, and most people wouldn't necessarily be able to tell the difference). Great product, great range. Unfortunately, the analog sprectrum it was using was 'reclaimed' here in Australia and now has a Digital TV channel blasting across its bow.

I played with the new digital Shured ULX-D (digital) and it was very nice, it was a unit designed to work in the newly freed space in the UHF band. It's on the expensive side, but the quality seems to be there and no chance of general Wifi/Bluetooth/Microwave Oven interference as it operates in the UHF band. Works great for vocals (which is how I was using it).

I have a first generation X2 Wireless (now owned by Line6) XDS (900MHz) digital unit that works extremely well. No tonal issues, however, here in Australia it only has 1 usable channel as our 900MHz ISM band isn't as wide as the same band in the USA. And since the lower half of the band is licensed to a cellular phone operator, it gets lots of interference when operating outside that channel. In that channel though, it works perfectly. It only has 5 hours of battery life, but can be used with 9V LiPo rechargeable batteries (which have probably saved me over a thousand dollars over the years).

I recently picked up a Line6 G55 and it has definitely improved on the 900MHz XDS model. Nice metal housing for the transmitter, easy to use, 12 channels, and 9+ hours of battery life with Sanyo Eneloop AA 2400mah batteries. Base unit has a 1/4" unbalanced and a balanced XLR output, and can be powered by the 9V DC daisy chain I use for pedals. Tone is the same as the XDS and is indistinguishable from using a 2 ft cable (see aside below for cable comments) between guitar and amp/first pedal. It's a bit lame that they've gone with 2.4GHz, but it's more likely that it will cause the Wifi to slow down than to drop out itself (especially in RF1 mode). In RF2 mode it is more susceptible, but seems to work well next to a single channel of Wifi and a few bluetooth phones sitting around with everything running happily. RF1 mode worked fine in a Wifi saturated office at a distance of 20 feet between transmitter and receiver, and should work further in most environments. It's worth setting the channel to avoid the nearest Wifi channel if you want longer range. RF2 mode will probably be fine on a stage or in a church.

Aside:
To avoid the brightness problem caused by the short cable between the guitar and the transmitter pack, I solder a parallel 560pF capacitor inside the short cable's 1/4" plug. That is equivalent to the capacitance of a typical decent 15ft cable. And gets rid of any weirdness caused by trying to use the Line6 'cable simulator' filters in their receiver units (which aren't too bad, but I prefer to leave them off and the let guitar react to the 'cable', rather than the fixed low pass filter of the simulator). Different pickups react differently to cable capacitance and the one size fits all filters definitely take off the bright 'edge', but the pickup misses out on the magic resonance caused by a longer cable (capacitance) and the tone suffers. For active pickups none of this is necessary.

Aside 2:
Get yourself either the Levi leather wireless receiver holder, or the neoprene one from Neotech. Both are great, but the Levi one requires a skinny 1" leather belt adjustable strap (which most typical leather straps have) to thread into it. The Neotech one uses velcro to attach to any strap, and will work with pretty much any strap. The Neotech one can be easily moved up and down if you need that kind of versatility, but completely encloses the unit, so you need to cut holes in it (easy to do) or 'feel' and push the buttons through it. The Levi one has the buttons exposed, but the cross member covers the central LCD on the transmitter (not really critical as you can't see the pack when you're wearing the guitar anyway).

Briggs
07-17-2013, 10:02 PM
nice write up piped. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Pietro
07-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I, however, am on the list of people who never ever ever ever want to use wireless again...

pipedwho
07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I, however, am on the list of people who never ever ever ever want to use wireless again...
Why? Did something go horribly wrong?

Pietro
07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Why? Did something go horribly wrong?

Yeah, I hate the sound.

Babow2
07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I had great success with the Line6 X2 XDS-Plus wireless (with upgraded guitar connector cable). It has been on my pedalboard and used live for several years. It worked flawlessly, with good reception, no drop out, no tone loss and long battery life. I was so pleased that when I built a second board for a new band, I just bought the newer Line6 G50 version.
I'd recommend the higher end Line6 wireless series.
Brent

pipedwho
07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I hate the sound.
With the new digital units and my aforementioned cable mod, the sound is indistinguishable from a cable. For people that like specific fuzz/wah pedals that load the guitar, it gets a bit more tricky, but can still be done.

For the Crowdster+2, you'd need two separate wireless transmitters (and two receivers) to do what you do. I'd love for someone to make a stereo unit to get around that, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Briggs
07-18-2013, 07:44 PM
For the Crowdster+2, you'd need two separate wireless transmitters (and two receivers) to do what you do. I'd love for someone to make a stereo unit to get around that, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Exactly why I haven't explored it with the C+... but also having too many memories of how bad the older stuff sounded. I'm sure digital has made a world of difference. I'll stick with my Lava Cables

Pietro
07-18-2013, 07:56 PM
The problem isn't the quality of sound transmission, imho.

I think there is SOMETHING else besides just sound transfer, electrically, that is happening on that cable, and the wireless just doesn't carry it.

There is, also, the inevitable challenge for me of two wireless units, of course.

That said, I play on a small small platform at the church I work at. A wireless would be silly, honestly.

dplight
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Another thing you can't really get around is the odd noise problems you can have because the guitar is not grounded. There have been a few times I've had to switch to a cable to get some induced noise to go away.

pipedwho
07-18-2013, 10:27 PM
A good wireless system is effectively equivalent to an inline buffered pedal with an isolated output. The latest digital systems are extremely good and pass the signal at far beyond the electrical capabilities of the guitar, pedals and amp at either end. The biggest tonal issue is the difference in cable capacitance between a 2ft wireless pack interconnect and a typical 12 to 20ft guitar lead.

I agree that some of the older analog systems compressed and limited the signal in ways that changed the tone, and some would overly load the guitar output and kill the sparkle.

And, of course if you're always right on top of your gear, there's no need for wireless. Although in my case I use it even when on top of the gear as it makes sound check easy, and avoids tripping when I move around. That'll probably change when I get the Crowdster+2.

Dfarr
07-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks to all for the GREAT input!!! I am probably going to check out the Line 6 Relay G50 System because of it's floor pedal type receiver that can plug into my wah like I would with my regular guitar cable. I also am interested in hearing how the different "cable length" settings on it affect the tone. If I get one, it will be from Guitar Center so that if it doesn't work out I can take it back. I will let you all know how it goes...

THanks, Dfarr

Babow2
07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I would think most local dealers who compete with GC would give you the same return policy and you could support a local dealer. I know musiciansfriend has something like a 30-45 day return policy as well. Not that I have any specific ax to grind with GC. It's just that they aren't the only ones with a return policy and if that is the only reason you are buying from them, you might consider other options. Again, I don't have a horse in the race regarding who you buy from. It just caught my eye, as I try to support my local music stores if they will match a deal I can get from a chain.
Brent

tom
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Supporting local is aways good. FYI, musicians friend is owned by GC.

Babow2
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
GC owns MF? Wow, I must have missed that day in Economics Class.

tom
07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
yup, the big get bigger.

Dfarr
08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
I went with the Line6 G50 Digital Wireless system and used at a gig on Saturday. It worked flawlessly! No dropouts, no sustained notes cutting off unnaturally, no unwanted hiss or noise (even on my cranked EVH channel 3 Solo tone), and GREAT tone. My usual cable is a 15fT Vovox and the wireless tone definitely delivered! Our other guitar player bought and used the same one as well with the same results. The only thing I am changing is the short cable that goes from the transmitter to the guitar. The one it comes with has a straight jack on the guitar input end. Line6 has an upgraded version with a Rt. angle jack and premium Mogami cable. I have 2 on order (one for me and one for our other guitar player). It was a lot of fun being able to be more mobile onstage and our drummer loved it when we would come back and "Rock" next to him!

Ray K.
08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of wireless...you'll never go back! :)

Ray K.