PDA

View Full Version : NGD: I must be getting old...

Pietro
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I must be getting old, because neck shape is everything. I had traded for a Classic with a 50s V neck, and I LOVED playing on that, but even after 30 or 45 minutes, my hand started HURTING...

So... I managed to trade (thanks again, gasman) for one with the same neck shape and fret size as my Atom CT...

It also doesn't hurt any that it sounded AMAZING in the mix.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z209/Pietro_gtr/t_classic_web_zps1fb67770.jpg

brokenvail
07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Nice!!!! What neck shape is it? I will take one with contours please :-D

pipedwho
07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm with you there. Neck shape is critical, too small or big and the fretting hand starts to hurt after a while. In the last 5 years I've culled everything that was uncomfortable from my collection.

Nice T style guitar.

(Digression: The only problem with strap locks on the double buttons is that when you put the strap on, the guitar no longer balances when leaning against an amp. Used to have the Schallers, but now I use Loxx straplocks and have a spare strap clasp for the unused button to get around this. But without the weight of the guitar/strap it rattles a bit. I might try a rubber band or something to keep it quiet. How do you do it?)

Briggs
07-14-2013, 07:36 PM
that's just straight up classy! congrats on the NG!!

and piped, I'm with ya on the strap locks, on stage I just use a stand where the crowdy hangs by the headstock... when I'm sitting at the desk not plugged in I love the double buttons...

gibson5413
07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Looks awesome brother!

dplight
07-14-2013, 09:19 PM
That is a nice guitar! I wish I'd pay more attention to neck shape/size. There are some I like, and some I don't (at least the first few minutes of playing).

RVA
07-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Wow. That is a classic beauty. Congrats!

Pietro
07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I generally use a guitar stand. Only time I really don't is in my office, and I never use a strap there.

The dual strap button thing isn't a big deal for me for that reason, but I do like the way my guitars balance using the lower strap better for some reason. Also easier to wear the guitar kinda high that way.

Pietro
07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice!!!! What neck shape is it? I will take one with contours please :-D

60s Vibe. It came on the Atom CT I got from Tom. Love at first sight and my hands never ever hurt on that shape.

The 50s V was really cool, but after a while, it just hurt.

brokenvail
07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
60s Vibe. It came on the Atom CT I got from Tom. Love at first sight and my hands never ever hurt on that shape.

The 50s V was really cool, but after a while, it just hurt.
LOVE THAT PROFILE

BFC
07-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm kinda going thru a similar thing with the neck on mine. Happy medium .03 over with 1 11/16 nut. When I play thumb over style for a while it starts to get a little sore on the inside of the second joint. It's fine if I play 'properly' on it with my thumb behind. But yeah the big V is pretty darn big. Lol. I'm a 62 roundback guy with the small V being my second fave.

Pietro
07-16-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm kinda going thru a similar thing with the neck on mine. Happy medium .03 over with 1 11/16 nut. When I play thumb over style for a while it starts to get a little sore on the inside of the second joint. It's fine if I play 'properly' on it with my thumb behind. But yeah the big V is pretty darn big. Lol. I'm a 62 roundback guy with the small V being my second fave.

It wasn't actually the SIZE of the V that set my hand on edge, but the shape. I honestly think it's not much bigger, if it's even bigger at all, than the 60s vibe.

That said, yesterday I was setting up some new patches for the new guitar... I put it down and picked up the Atom CT for the first time in a few days and remembered why I honestly could probably get by with only that guitar if I had to... holy man, I love that guitar. Tom did a BUNCH of cool stuff to it (it had been his own personal guitar) and honestly, you can feel the love when you play it. I don't know how else to say it.

Still adore this T, though... what do you guys think? Keep it as is or put a set of 2 (or even 3) Ms in it?

BFC
07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
It's kind of a sharper V at the nut end and I remember it feeling really big at the round part up toward the heel. Have you tried the small V? Its a softer shape. I'd be happy with either the 62 RB or the small V. The over sized happy medium has a little more meat in the shoulders maybe. My thumb doesn't wrap over quite as naturally.

Pietro
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
It's kind of a sharper V at the nut end and I remember it feeling really big at the round part up toward the heel. Have you tried the small V? Its a softer shape. I'd be happy with either the 62 RB or the small V. The over sized happy medium has a little more meat in the shoulders maybe. My thumb doesn't wrap over quite as naturally.

I'm not really going to try anything else anytime soon. The Happy Medium works well for me. The Crowdster shape is fine for that guitar, but the 60s Vibe on the electrics is just to die for. I just love it. I feel like it's a little different on the Atom, but maybe because of the angle where the neck meets the body, and the scale length.

In any case, I love this T... but the Atom CT is the most perfect guitar ever freaking made...

BFC
07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Still haven't had the chance to try an Atom. Or a Bulldog for that matter.

dannopelli
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Pete,

I have M's, VA's, TV's and the newer SC's TF's and HC's. Honestly I think you'd be happy with either TF's or maybe an HC in the neck with a TF in the bridge. I have the HC/TF in a T Classic I got from Mark Stys and it is an amazing combination. Very versatile guitar, plus it retains a classic T look.

M's are great, don't get me wrong. But I just think that in that guitar you might be happy with the TF/TF or HC/TF. Great sound and great look, plus a more traditional Tele sound and look without the noise.

That said, my faves are still TV's and VA's...

Danno

Pietro
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Pete,

I have M's, VA's, TV's and the newer SC's TF's and HC's. Honestly I think you'd be happy with either TF's or maybe an HC in the neck with a TF in the bridge. I have the HC/TF in a T Classic I got from Mark Stys and it is an amazing combination. Very versatile guitar, plus it retains a classic T look.

M's are great, don't get me wrong. But I just think that in that guitar you might be happy with the TF/TF or HC/TF. Great sound and great look, plus a more traditional Tele sound and look without the noise.

That said, my faves are still TV's and VA's...

Danno

Thanks, won't do an HC in the neck, as I don't want it to sound humbuckery, since I have that covered with the Atom.

And... I don't really do mega-high gain, and to be honest, the "noise" from the single coils is really no problem...

...leading me to believe, yes, that I should just leave it as is.

Only thing is, I LOVE the sound of the pickups in the Crowdster, and I know they are very similar to an M1/M3 sound, and I think I'd love that almost gretsch-ey vibe in a tele, I think... hmm...

pipedwho
07-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Only thing is, I LOVE the sound of the pickups in the Crowdster, and I know they are very similar to an M1/M3 sound, and I think I'd love that almost gretsch-ey vibe in a tele, I think... hmm...
Some of that tone may be heavily influenced by the acoustic strings (among other things related to bridge/body/neck construction).

BTW, I'm typing theoretically here as I'm yet to hear a Crowdster+2 - less than six weeks and counting down. :)

Pietro
07-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Some of that tone may be heavily influenced by the acoustic strings (among other things related to bridge/body/neck construction).

BTW, I'm typing theoretically here as I'm yet to hear a Crowdster+2 - less than six weeks and counting down. :)

Another reason why I'm kinda stickin'... I mean... Teles have had single coil pickups for 60 years... must be a reason...

dannopelli
07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Which is why I concluded my post saying my faves of all the A's I have is my S Classic with VA5's and my T Classic with TV's. Interesting, and completely coincidental, is both are Trans White Swamp Ash tops! They look like sisters...

Pietro
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Which is why I concluded my post saying my faves of all the A's I have is my S Classic with VA5's and my T Classic with TV's. Interesting, and completely coincidental, is both are Trans White Swamp Ash tops! They look like sisters...

must see pics...

dannopelli
07-18-2013, 01:43 PM
must see pics...

Ohh. Won't be home for another week. Sorry.

brokenvail
07-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Ohh. Won't be home for another week. Sorry.
No sorry needed. When you get back home is fine :-)