PDA

View Full Version : Neck profile question

Dave M.
07-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I saw a neck profile described as "62 Roundback—Pete Anderson Shape". This was on guitar 05-02-04A.

What is this like, and how is it different from other 62RB profiles?

Thanks!
-Dave M.

BFC
07-21-2004, 09:17 AM
It's a bit smaller than the regular '62 RB. I have one on the way with this neck but haven't tried one yet.

Brian

Dave M.
07-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks Brian. I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to try a 62RB in 1-11/16" width.
My Classic is 1-11/16" width, but with the TA standard profile. I wish it had a beefier feel to it. Not sure if TA Std. with a +.050", +.070", or a 62RB would feel more to my liking. :confused: :D

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 11:22 AM
I tried a couple of TA Std 1 11/16 neck carves over the years but alsways seem to migrate back to the 62 RB 1 11/16 carve. The two things that drive me to the 62 RB are 1) the taper from the 1st to 12th frets and 2) the chunkiness of the neck. To me there is even a night and day difference between the 1 5/8 and 1 11/16 62 RB necks. My guess is about a +.050 oversize on a TA Std 1 11/16 carve will get you around the chunkiness of a 1 11/16 62 RB without the taper.

Casper
07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
If I may, I normally like the TA Standard with 1 11/16, but when I got it .030 over on my HDT, it was too chunky down low. That small increment makes a big difference to me anyway. I am looking at a classic with a 1 5/8 .50 over now that seems just right chunky, but smaller ..kinda like a good Louisville Slugger Bat. I'll let ya know....
Casper

BFC
07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
So far I really like the Pete Anderson shape. It looks smaller in print than it feels overall. There is more of a difference at the first fret than at the heel, so the taper seems more severe. The measurements are .785" to .930" according to the spec sheet. Compared directly with the stock 1 5/8" nut '62 Roundback, I prefer the feel of the Pete shape.

Brian

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Brian,

Luckily you like the smaller carves....I ended up with your old Yellow HDTC with the 1 11/16 RB!!! Sounds like the smaller Pete Anderson 62 RB carve is right up your alley!

Stan Malinowski
07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Casper,

As I said before I normally like the 1 11/16 RB carve, but picked up a Swamp Ash/Maple Classic which has a 1 5/8 +.050 oversize carve. I really have to admit it feels as good as the bigger RB carve I normally favor. Picked it up, played it, knew something was a bit different but it still felt good!

Casper
07-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Hey Buddy!
You are So right! I have had this 03 Alder Classic at home for the past couple of days on a demo. Its amazing the difference between the two necks. I can flat smoke on this guitar. The HDT's .30 over 1 11/16 is just too tall/chunky it seems. I am working on a possible trade in. I may lose a bit on the deal since my HDT has a bit of damage, but I realize now just how important the neck is to me.....its everything. I have a 62RB 1 5/8 carve on my classic and it is my fav guitar...this demo has the same specs as yours (1 5/8 .050 over) maple...
The only thing I am unsure of is the VA pickups, which traditionally I have never been excited about. I do like this setup however, the pull-add-bridge is nice and adds dimension. I know you have several pieces with VA's...can you tell me what you like about them vs. an SA/SD config? I have a Classic with SD's and the only difference I can see is that the SD's are quiet midrangy and a bit more spank than the VA's ...is there a power difference?
Are the VA's more quiet than a traditional Strat?The specs on the one I am looking at are 06-11-03a...let me know what you think?
Shaun

Stan Malinowski
07-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Shaun,

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of the VA pickups. Over the last 3 years or so I have really lost interest in humbucker equipped guitars. It is really about personal taste. My style is more clean to low overdrive and I happen to like the way single coils sound in this situation. There is something about that clean single coil tone thru my BF Princeton Reverb or Carr Rambler that does it for me. Most humbucker pickups sound a bit muffled or flat to me. If I was playing high gain stuff I might be more into the humbucking scene.

As far as VA noise, I think they are a little quieter than traditional single coils, but not much. In fact I think it is the little bit of noise that helps give single coils that sound I crave for.

I've also noticed that splitting a humbucker doesn't really get me where I want to be. When I listen to a split bucker the tone to me seems to be rounded, where the single coil is a bit more aggressive or edgy to me.

The one good thing about TAG is the variety of pickups you can get, they seem to have one for virtually everyone's taste.

Casper
07-28-2004, 06:52 AM
I think you're right about the noise lending itself to the tone. I guess I was worried because I am finally getting away from digital processing. I am going back to straight amp and a couple of stomps, so I was worried about the noise, but I think I will try it for awhile...I may be pleasantly suprised. Thanks for the info bro.

BFC
07-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Stan, the neck on the yellow HDTC was one of my favorite necks at a time when I was almost strictly a thumb over the low string player. I have somehow drifted into playing about half thumb over, half thumb behind the neck as of late. The smaller depth seems to suit me better now for where I'm at playing wise. That little extra thickness front to back can make a huge difference in comfort depending on your style. The 1 11/16" nut on a '62 RB would probably start to lose its vintage feel if it was taken down much in depth, too flat and not enough of a C shape for me.

As for the VA pickups...try the M series. Tom's description of the M series was right on. They really do sound like big VA's. The feel and attack is right on too.

Brian