PDA

View Full Version : Looking for brighter SCs

nova
06-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi There,
I Love my TA Super Strat classic, but I think the SCs are too dark. The are SF1-R and SF-1. If I'm looking for something brighter, which should I be looking at?

Thanks
Mike

pipedwho
06-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Have you played with the height of the pickups? Also, make sure your amp tone controls are not at the max/min positions.

Assuming you've done all that, you could always try real single coils like the VA5s. I find they sparkle a little bit more than the hum-cancelling pickups - more of a complexity in the chime rather than a bright/dark thing though.

nova
06-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I do need to try and tune the heights first. I really like the single note sound, it's only when I hit a chord does it get muddy.

Thanks,
Mike

tom
06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
you definitely want the treble side high, start at 1/8" from the high E while holding strings down at the last fret. bass side can be at least 50% lower, you may even want to try it way lower.

then, if it's really high top end you're after, you can remove the 330k vintage voicing resister. that will give you more highs but that will make the high end a little harder sounding.

nova
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Tom,

I did adjust the pickups and it's much better, thanks for the data to use as a starting point.

Cheers,
Mike

harritone
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
SA's or VA5 are great split pickups, more open and bite....its the series sound of the SCs/SFs that seem darker....I do like them for jazzier, bluesy stuff