PDA

View Full Version : PQ series impressions?

robertmu
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi folks,
I have been searching and digging through old threads, but haven't been able to find one with lots of input on the PQs (kind of tough to search for "PQ," ya know?). Anyway, does anyone have any experience with them? How close are they to regular P90s? 50%...75%...90+%? I like the idea of a no-hum P90.
Thanks,
Robert

SonicGator
06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Hi Robert, I'm using a triple PQ90 setup on one of my guitars with a PQ1 in the neck and middle and a PQ2 in the Bridge. It's an extremely versatile setup and the tones are very good.

I've tried a few different favors of P90s before and can't really tell much of a difference between those and these PQs, which is a good thing. If I had to pick something different about them, maybe they're a bit more polite in terms of "edginess," so I'd say they're 85-90%+ of the way there.

I like to describe P90s as the clarity of a single-coil, with the power of a Humbucker. In that regard, these are there.

GDane1
06-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I have a bulldog maple top with PQ1/PQ2.

I have played a few Gibson p90s and have an Epiphone w/stock p90s.

The PQs have better definition and take pedals better. They clean up beautifully but can really push a hot amp.

They have much less noise and overall 'grittiness'. Other p90s always are my gritty/bluesy (and noisy) pickups-I never played a show with them because of noise. I played my PQ guitar for live shows for over a year. They were able to do everything.

robertmu
06-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like they're pretty good, which is to be expected, considering the source!