PDA

View Full Version : Tube vs. Solid State

slowburn
07-19-2004, 02:10 PM
If I crank my 2x12 M-80 Chorus, I can get a really nice fendery clean sound. Realy lush and "tubey" sound, especially with the neck pickup on my retroclassic. Do any of you think that tube amps are overrated, or is it just me?

michaelomiya
07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by slowburn
If I crank my 2x12 M-80 Chorus, I can get a really nice fendery clean sound. Realy lush and "tubey" sound, especially with the neck pickup on my retroclassic. Do any of you think that tube amps are overrated, or is it just me?

at the risk of being considered a "snob", tubes provide a kind of "sag" and "warmth" that I find difficult to replicate w/ SS amps. That said, I have not had many experiences w/ the Cyber twin or the Vox modeling amps. I have played several Line 6 products, which I considered "stiff" sounding, mainly due to "immediacy" that I felt when playing. I do know that friends who own the HD147 and the Vetta, have a difficult time w/ my Marshalls :eek: for the same reasons I have w/ Line 6. I used to own a M80 112, which I always played in the clean channel, but mainly because I had an Ibanez SML and Boss GE7 in front of it. Having kids, I definitely relate to the inability to "turn it up" during the week. In this case, I cope w/ Garage Band (thanks Tombo!) and my Mesa Mk III, which grinds at a lower volume. The Roland JC120 is still a favorite "clean" tone, although for many it's too "sterile" sounding (try telling Andy Summers or Mike Stern (Yamaha SS) that!).

njjessee
07-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't think tubes are overrated, but when it's all said and done, it's what sounds good to you that matters.

Noah

dpeterson
07-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I used to be die hard tube guy, but it's gotten so close that the trade off of forking out cash on tubes vs what little difference there is (imho) was worth it. If you get the sound you like on a smokey ciggarette amp... then rock on :)

Dave

Scott Peterson
07-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Every amp should be judged on its own merit, regardless of tube, modeling, solid state, whatever.

That said, I personally am a tube snob. But I have no issues, at all, with anyone's personal choices.

I have owned many amps - from solid state, modeling and tube types - to arrive at what I like today. It is just personal choice really.

I would also recommend shying away from generalizing or sweeping comments like "tube amps are overrated" at the same time.

Unless of course you add in the "IMHO" to qualify it.

michaelomiya
07-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Scott Peterson
I would also recommend shying away from generalizing or sweeping comments like "tube amps are overrated" at the same time.

Unless of course you add in the "IMHO" to qualify it.

http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/spank2.gif
good point!

oscar100
07-28-2004, 01:58 AM
lets begin with IMHO -

certain tube amps but not all seem to have a magic mojo where they are an active partner in creating sound with an extra organic something

its like guitars - if you find a good one - its great - even toms output varies in my experience from being excellent to truly amazing for no apparent reason since the build and materials quality i sthe same

ive owned a 64 blue speaker ac30 and 68 transition AB763 super reverb that both just did something extra to my tone

(admittedly at the cost of reliability) - both gone now becos tehy were too heavy to carry around

and i settled on amodded rivera chub with fane alnico blue and mullard/telefunken valves -

at the end of the day - whatever floats your boat but im sticking with glowing glass

its way cool:p

mbrown3
07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
It's just you.;)

Turrican
07-28-2004, 11:44 AM
from a technical point of view, it is all about the quality of the materials used to make an amp (or anything else). tubes have some charateristics that make them more suitable for audio electronic circuits, i.e. they are highly linear , and clipping is smooth, wich is widely considered more musical than transistors.

This goes not only for tubes, those of you who have modded their amps will probably have noticed the difference when using high quality capacitors instead of poor ones.