PDA

View Full Version : SA vs SF vs SC Pickups

taclassic
03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Folks,

I am so sorry if this has been covered before, but I am not having much luck with my searches.

I am looking to order a Classic (Alder Body with Maple Neck with Rosewood Board). I am looking at an SSH Pickup Combo.

I definitely want the H2+ in the Bridge.

I have only had experience with SA pickups and really liked the Split Tones. I currently do not own an Anderson and do not have easy access to try one out. I will say I tried an SA1- one time and it did not do it for me as much as the SA1 did.

How would someone compare the SA vs the SF vs SC? I notice a lot of the New Anderson guitars are coming loaded with either SF or SC.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

tom
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
if you love the split tones, i'd do the sa's again. the sf's and SC's are made for no splitting.

taclassic
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks

SA1 models it is.

marzzz
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
FWIW, I have a Droptop that originally had the SA-SA-H2+, but I switched them out for SF's and have been very happy with the tone for several years now. The SFs don't split, but they are very quiet and still get those nice spank tones.

harritone
03-31-2013, 03:48 PM
get Roy to yell them to you...;)

SAs are HEY!!!!!!!!

SFs are heyyyy

marzzz
03-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Absolutely talk to Roy, he has a way of subjectively describing the tone differences, not to mention asking you the right questions to help you come to a decision. He was the one who steered me toward the SFs based on what I wanted, and he was absolutely correct!

dannopelli
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I have an SC equipped guitar and a VA5 equipped guitar. The VA5's are by far my faves. I used to have SA's but SC's with a VA boost and I really don't miss the SA split at all. VERY Fendery, yet quiet.

csd
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
to comment;
Roy describes pup's like no other, although 'Piped' is also a master at accurate descriptions!
SC's are very fendery and quiet as Danno said. I do have 13 SC's amongst my clan and they are a great pup. Can i say they respond and react to how you play, and ......"are hum-free!" :rolleyes: ;)

pipedwho
04-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Roy describes pup's like no other, although 'Piped' is also a master at accurate descriptions!

I'm honoured being mentioned in the same sentence as Roy when it comes to descriptive tonal characterisations! :cool: ;)

The SFs (and SCs), SAs and VA5s all have a little something of their own going on. However, the VA5 has more of that alnico vintage sparkle and chime than the others, with the SF/SCs having a close facsimile. The SAs have a more modern sound that overdrives well with modern gain.

If vintage is your cup of tea, then I'd be looking at the SF/SCs. However, if you can handle the hum, then the VA5s can't be beaten for that "sit back, close your eyes and transport yourself to a bygone era of living breathing ringing chime".

Pietro
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
If vintage is your cup of tea, then I'd be looking at the SF/SCs. However, if you can handle the hum, then the VA5s can't be beaten for that "sit back, close your eyes and transport yourself to a bygone era of living breathing ringing chime".

I recently have been playing a classic with VA5s. This is true. I don't use high high gain, so the hum is minimal and no real problem. Very sweet sounds. I was thinking of changing the pickups on this guitar, perhaps getting a new PG with 3 Ms on it... but not so sure right now.

The VA boost is cool, too...