PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Pick?

pluto
07-19-2004, 01:03 PM
It seems I'm changing picks every year for whatever reason. I finally decided to a/b a whole bunch of picks by going to the guitar store and picking up one pick from every pick the store had with the only criteria that it be 1.0 mm or more. The winner-Dunlop Jazz III. I'm not sure why I like them because they're on the very small side, but to me they feel and sound great. Notes are very crisp and it's very comfortable feeling. The worse-Dunlop Stubby 3.0. Yikes, I never knew a pick could sound so artificial. There is a plastic overtone on each note.

michaelomiya
07-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by pluto
It seems I'm changing picks every year for whatever reason. I finally decided to a/b a whole bunch of picks by going to the guitar store and picking up one pick from every pick the store had with the only criteria that it be 1.0 mm or more. The winner-Dunlop Jazz III. I'm not sure why I like them because they're on the very small side, but to me they feel and sound great. Notes are very crisp and it's very comfortable feeling. The worse-Dunlop Stubby 3.0. Yikes, I never knew a pick could sound so artificial. There is a plastic overtone on each note.

Red, Jazz III's. Smaller picks for more economy of motion (unless you're picking from the elbow!:eek: )

pluto
07-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Mike, have you tried the bigger jazz III (the XL) picks? I might like those better because of the larger surface, especially for strumming type stuff. Oh yeah, by the way, turn your cell phone ON brah, I da kine keep getting your voice mail. What's up with dat? It's like calling my cell phone! :D

dpeterson
07-20-2004, 06:49 AM
dunlop 2.0mm delrin (big purple beast), last forever, and are stiff as a board.

Dave

Scott Peterson
07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Everly Star Picks; made from D'Andrea Delrex and they come with a hole already in them so I don't have to punch my own! .73mm thickness.

The others I like are Steve Clayton, their Acetal in .80 standard shape. I dig them alot.

killerburst
07-20-2004, 07:50 AM
I use a Dunlop Stubby 2.0 mm (the smaller ones) or a Dugain for most playing. If I'm doing a funk/disco/dance set I'll use any medium-heavy Fender 351-shape pick- nylon, delrin, celluloid, etc.

dannopelli
07-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Clayton Jazz 1.52. Creates a very soft sound. I use this most of the time. Very bubbly, soft attack.

For harder rock songs I use an Ultra Cool 1.0 (the black kind of metallic ones). Totally accentuates the attack, (think sound on Eurythmics "Would I Lie to You")

mbrown3
07-20-2004, 08:54 AM
I'll third the red jazz IIIs...great little picks. They take some getting used to, but I'll never go back to a larger pick (at least, not for lead...rhythm perhaps) after using these. The only problem is they tend to slip out of my fingers easier because of the gloss plastic. There are some great little tortex jazz ones, though, that solve that problem. For pure tone, however, I'll stick with the red jazz IIIs...their small size helps you get easy artificials and a great "finger feel" with the hand being so close. Great stuff.

SteveK
07-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Another vote for the Dunlop Jazz III's. I use both the red and the black ones, no real difference to me. If I'm just strummin' I'll use a Pickboy 0.60mm CarbonNylon pick. Just slightly bigger than a Jazz III but better for strumming on an acoustic or Crowdster.

Gary F.
07-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Clayton Ultem 0.94. They attack better than any 'plastic' pick i've used, including Cool Picks. Great for percussive single lead lines on electric and are truly noticable on acoustics. You can tell they're different just by the sound they make when you drop them on a hard surface.

John Price
07-20-2004, 07:07 PM
For years I was using the Dunlop 2.0 picks but recently scaled down to a Dunlop Ultex 1.0 the one with the Rhino on it!!!

;)

tom
07-20-2004, 07:47 PM
i used to like the gibson star picks, tear drop shape but bigger than the jazz picks. now i use the dunlop orange version. for me the thicker picks don't have enough edge in the tone.

jimmieb
07-20-2004, 10:39 PM
I've been using the Tortex "Sharpy" the larger green type. They also have a smaller version about the size of the jazz picks. I also use a pick that I don't know who makes it, but I first got one from Ty Tabor. They have a logo that looks like the Yamaha trident logo. They have the best grid pattern where you grip. It's has sharp ridges at the top of that grit which is really great to grip on to.

Jimmie B

pcbb
07-21-2004, 03:37 AM
another dunlop jazz III user here.

tmihm
07-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Regular Fender teardrop mediums. Always have.

slowburn
12-08-2004, 09:45 AM
how's this for variety, dunlop jazz II (with the semi round tip, not like the sharp point of the jazz III). I may have to try the jazz III one day.

Casper
12-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I had Greg Collins at Legend Picks do 2 gross of medium Celotex Picks for me. I never knew how much a gross was, but it was alot for about $75.00. Greg does a bunch of national players and tours.
If your band has a logo, he'll put the logo and your actual signature on your picks. I did Black and Gold. They look and sound great, but are a bit too small, so I keep a couple of plain Fender Mediums on my clip just in case. If anyone here is interested in getting customs (you may love them)...
http://legendpicks.com Hes real nice and turns them right out to you...
Shaun

Suriel Zayas
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
for me it's dunlop's .73 mm. great feel and tone. :)

peace.

suriel

Rick
12-08-2004, 12:00 PM
After years with Tortex blue, I just tried the Ultex — seems interesting but what I got is too thin & slappy; I have high hopes for the 1. mm size John Price is using.

FWIW: Can't speak for what the man uses now, but 15 years ago my friend knew he'd be jamming with me the day after spending a long day in the studio with Clapton, so he brought me the pick Eric had used throughout the session. Don't know the brand (for all I know it was made by Fender, but it was a custom order), but it's nice — I still use it sometimes. Orange smooth plastic, pretty stiff, kind of between the Tortex & a traditional Fender Heavy in size, shape & feel. And it knows how to play Crossroads all by itself! ;)

Stan Malinowski
12-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I use just plain old boring Fender 351 picks (Medium). I choose the ones in the pearl moto style for excitement! :D

Stan Malinowski
12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
but 15 years ago my friend knew he'd be jamming with me the day after spending a long day in the studio with Clapton, so he brought me the pick Eric had used throughout the session. Don't know the brand (for all I know it was made by Fender, but it was a custom order), but it's nice — I still use it sometimes.

I have a pick that Tom Johnston (one of my all-time favorites) of the Doobie Brothers used. Still can't play like him though!

pdicristina
12-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Used the tortex purple for around 20 years. Last 2 years I've been using the Cymbolic (cymbol brass) pick. I like it because it doesn't flex at all. It does add more pick noise with high gain. So for slow passages with hi gain - I switch back to the tortex.

Rick
12-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Does the metal pick wear out the strings faster?

Son of Anderson
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
a good old fashion quarter.... it really effects the paintjob, but it gets the job done.

nickdahl
12-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Another Fender 351 user here. Medium.

Nick

brian b
12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Been using the Fender Delrin's in the m/h gauge which equals out to about .75 thickness.

pdicristina
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't think the metal pick has any adverse effect on the strings. Maybe if I picked faster :)

Stan Malinowski
12-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Doesn't Billy Gibbons use a peso as a pick?

joe1962
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Doesn't Billy Gibbons use a peso as a pick?

I've seen him say that in interviews before, but with him you never know if he's telling the truth or pulling your chain. BG has a reputation for stretching the truth sometimes when it comes to his gear. All part of the mystique I guess!

joe1962
12-09-2004, 09:26 AM
I like good old Fender Mediums and Heavys depending on what I'm going for. Also the Tortex and Ultex variations of them. I'm always amazed at how much difference in tone there can be just changing to a different pick. For instance, if I'm playing clean single note lines on a Strat sometimes a Med pick can sound thin, but going to a Heavy fills things right out. Or for recording crunchy rhythm parts a Heavy might sound muddy, but switch to a Med and you get the edge back in the tone. As you can tell, I'm always experimenting! :)

Classic T
12-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Pickboy .75mm, the Black ones with the holes. Comfortable grip, won't slip.

Jim Dunlop Shell Classic H (Heavy Celluloid), when necessary to take the "edge" off.

guitarman1956
12-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I started out using Fender Thin. Then went on to Medium, now at Heavy. I'm thinking that even a Heavy is not enough at times. What's my next step? And, how do some play those little "thick" picks of stone ??? :confused:

slowburn
12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I just bought a 6 pack of dunlop red nylon jazz IIIs. did not like them. too sharp and too stiff. it seems silly, but I much prefer the dunlop red nylon jazz IIs. slightly thinner, and a semi round tip suits me better. if anyone has some jazz IIs that would want to trade for my 6 jazz IIIs, PM me.

BFC
12-20-2004, 04:41 PM
I keep a huge assortment of picks available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, thicknesses, and materials. It is absolutely amazing what swapping picks can do if you are having a bad tone day. Tone too thin today? Grab a thicker pick. Not enough snap? Grab a thinner nylon. Too sharp sounding? Grab a classic celluloid.

Works every single time as long as I can tolerate the feel. There are a few I cannot stand but I can usually get used to the change quickly.

My current all around favorite is the newer Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm.

Brian

BoraBora
12-21-2004, 02:21 AM
My favorite right now is the Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm.

Stys
12-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Dunlop stainless steel and my thumb.

jimmieb
12-21-2004, 10:52 PM
What's my favorite pick... My nose of course. :o

Turrican
12-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Dunlop II and III, depending on the mood.
Used to use Dunlop big stubby 3mm, very comfortable and fast feeling but sounds waaaaayyy too articulate ... almost the difference between switching from a a single coil to a humbucker.

What's my favorite pick... My nose of course. :o

trying to grow nails to practice ala Brett Garsed, but doesnt look nice ;)
works for nose picking, though...
dillemas...

tom
12-22-2004, 10:18 AM
i had acrylics for a few months, but it creeped my wife and daughter out.

dannopelli
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Cool Juratex Jazz 1.5 m. Like a tree trunk but with a soft tone. :cool:

guitarzan
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
For the sole purose of having soemthing to blame besides my lack of woodshedding, I've kept a variety of picks in circulation over the last couple of decades. I tried the Dunlop Jazz because Eric Johnson talked about them on his Inst. Video... I got them and didn't sound any more like him than I did before, so I abandoned those. Now I'm using the garden variety Fender Heavys in moto colors (and yes, it DOES add a little excitement using a purple moto pick... now I play like Prince). Or the cheapy Dunlop gels in Heavy.

Since I have acquired an unhealthy idolatry of Brad paisley lately, I have started (again) my search for a good thumb pick that feels like a regular pick when I wanna dig in and blow but still allows me to "cow" it up when I wanna do some banjo rolls. I've tried the metal ones, the "slick pick", the hybrid plastic and metal ones that are riveted together, and the whole gamut of thumb picks for banjo players.

But again, all of this pick searching usually just reminds me that I'm avoiding the obvious, which is that I'm searching for something that can be found in a practice regimen and better facility of the fretboard than a bunch of dancing chicken carnival tricks that require one pick over another.

I just turned this into a self-awareness therapy session. sorry, guys. diarrhea of the mouth... er... keyboard.

dkaplowitz
01-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Just about any that are inflexible or barely flexible. Mostly lately the Dunlop Tortex 1.14MM or 1.00MM. Pretty generic pics, easy to find in just about any music store, a good guage and they last a long time.