PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog vs Atom pickup question

Herzomud
02-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Tom, I am currently loving my bulldog and it has become my go to guitar unless I need a specific single coil sound with trem.

I soon want to treat myself to a new TAG and have seen an Atom CT which tempts me as it has the same neck shape and frets as my bulldog and offers a single volume control which I sometimes miss on my bulldog.

I have seen you comment before that essentially they are the same guitar in woods and basic concept and my question is about the pickups. My bulldog has a HC1+ and a HC3+ fitted and the Atom CT I have seen comes with HC1-A and HC1+A.

Just to give me even more reason to buy the guitar I am hoping that these would be a little less powered and possibly give me a slightly brighter spank in parallel mode. Would this be the case?

tom
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
yes, those would be weaker brighter versions of what you have. right in the vintage paf range.

Pietro
02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
I have that pickup configuration in a Hollow Atom CT and they are so amazing I decided to trade away my other electric Anderson, because I was never gonna play it again.

They can rip if you want, but they clean up SO nice. The neck pickup has a really sweet Zhing to it that I just adore. And they split just peachy, too.

For me, the three-way LP pickup switch and four knobs doesn't make sense anymore, so I like the Atom CT way better than the Bulldog idea.

Herzomud
02-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a perfect fit for my tone variation needs

bear79
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I completely agree with Pietro. The five way switch is a great upgrade to the traditional LP configuration. Plus the volume knob is where you can use it for swells.

I'm selling my LP.

tom
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
funny that that is one of the things people complained about on the CT. it wasn't "gibson" enough for them.

Herzomud
02-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I love my bulldog and would argue that the 2 volumes and separate parallel switching for each pickup is the ultimate tonal tool.

However in live situations I do love the single volume adjustment convenience and tonal subtlety of that degree is not noticeable

For me 1 of each will be perfect :D

Pietro
02-22-2013, 10:22 PM
funny that that is one of the things people complained about on the CT. it wasn't "gibson" enough for them.

Wow, maybe I'm the only guy who finds the Bulldog NOT enticing ONLY because of that control layout. Being able to get at any of those five positions so quickly... is just what I love.

For guys that want the LP sound and like to fiddle with volumes and tones individually a lot, I guess it makes sense, but I had an LP (a Heritage most recently, and a Gibson about 15 years ago) and I never want one again now.

Still dig the look, but not the functionality.

BFC
02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
I prefer the Atom controls and six on one side tuner configuration if I'm being completely honest. It's just what I'm used to after playing that setup for 99.9999% of my playing life for twenty some years now. I love the looks of the Bulldog but after a month or two I don't even notice the look of any guitars I ever owned.

Pietro
02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I prefer the Atom controls and six on one side tuner configuration if I'm being completely honest. It's just what I'm used to after playing that setup for 99.9999% of my playing life for twenty some years now. I love the looks of the Bulldog but after a month or two I don't even notice the look of any guitars I ever owned.

All true. btw, I think you can get a 6 on a side HS for a Bulldog. I've seen at least one.

BFC
02-23-2013, 02:40 PM
All true. btw, I think you can get a 6 on a side HS for a Bulldog. I've seen at least one.

Now that's interesting. I'd even consider one with the 3 and 3 headstock if I could get the Atom switching on the Bulldog. I just can't get used to the pickup selector up on the bass side and the four knobs. I fiddle with controls waaaaaaaay too much for that.

As far as just an overall package in the looks department, the biggest thing to my eye that works for the Bulldog over the Atom is the recessed pickup rings on the full size humbuckers. I think it's a much more 'finished' look versus the direct mount, no rings look of the Atom.