PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for maple fretboard TLC?

dnumde
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey guys, just wanna ask if you have any tips for cleaning the maple fretboard since my TAG Classic was spec'd with it.

The norm I've heard is to use naptha, which will easily remove any oil or gunk off the fretboard. I'm also using Meguiar's Quick Detailer for the body and satin neck. Any other tips or better way to clean up the guitar, tom?

Pietro
12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I've never used anything but a polish cloth on a maple fretboard and I've been pretty happy.

I did use some metal polish for the frets on occasion, but now all my guitars (Andersons) have SS frets and they never tarnish.

tom
12-26-2012, 12:15 PM
if it's regular maple, just whatever you use to keep the back clean is good. detailer is good or any of the new polishes from jescar.
if it's chocolate maple it is unfinished and fingerboard oil is good. since maple is more closed grain than rosewood you don't usually have to oil anywhere near as often.

dnumde
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the tips Tom! Guess it's safe for me to stick to my naptha + Meguiar's combo :D

tom
12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Naptha is actually not good for you to be handling with your skin I'd just use the detailer.

tom
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Can't even buy Naptha over the counter in ca anymore.

dnumde
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Naptha is actually not good for you to be handling with your skin I'd just use the detailer.

Ah okay, I didn't know it was harmful for our skin. I've always been using it when cleaning up gunk or "stains" left behind by stickers/price tags.

Interesting to note that they aren't available in CA, we can buy them easily over here in Singapore.