PDA

View Full Version : NGD (New Gibson Day)

pneil
12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
For starters, I'm not really a big Gibson fan, but I ran across a deal the other day I couldn't pass up. Musicians Friend had the Les Paul Studio Limited 2012 on sale for $1149 ($3k MSRP, yeah, I know... it's a Gibson).

This is the latest version of their whiz bang "robot" guitar. It also comes with a list of fairly normal appointments. It doesn't look too radical. Pretty plain actually. The deal is, I love open tunings, but I hate fiddling with them, dragging extra guitars along, fooling around with it between songs, etc. So... the plan is that this will be my open tuning/drop tuning swiss army knife. We'll see how it goes. Should be home by the time I'm off work.

Wish me luck... I think the sale is still on if anyone else is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkG41A3g2VI

dannopelli
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
That's quite cool! Congrats!

pneil
12-19-2012, 10:59 PM
So far so good, it's not an Anderson, but for the price it seems to be a decent little guitar. Plays and sounds good. Love the robot tuning. Just select open E, give it strum, grab your slide, and head off down the Rocky Mt Way :-). It is a bit odd watching the tuners spin by themselves.

The "chameleon tone" circuitry is fine. It doesn't stratify as nicely as my drop top, but it does get a nice range of usable sounds. Mixing the piezos and pickups with an AC30 sound actually gives a nice pseudo resonator sound. The piezo output with the "acoustic" setting is decent. Usable for gigging.

The batteries it uses are actually Samsung cell phone batteries available at any Radio Shack. I haven't loaded up the PC software yet, but I will. I have a couple of non standard tunings I want to load up.

So, the initial verdict is good. If it holds up, it will be a cool axe to have in the toolbox.

Ray K.
12-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Love my CR8 LP and not looking... :rolleyes:

But I like what I saw/heard in the video. Seems quite versatile.

Keep us posted. Curious about the software/programming capabilites and the P90H.

Btw, not much will compare to a TAG. My HDT is still my #1 and gets played regularly!

Thanks,
Ray

pneil
12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
I know it's not an Anderson. My hollow drop top has been my main guitar for 7 yrs now. Best guitar I've every played. That being said, this LP is a decent guitar for the price, sounds good, and fills a particular role quite well. If you're a slide/open tuning fan, this is really handy.

pneil
12-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Of course if Tom wanted to put this tech into a Bulldog... :-)