PDA

View Full Version : N-Tune Onboard Guitar Tuner

JCD
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Anyone use these before? It's a volume pot that's a push/pull true bypass tuner. Pull up to kill your signal and a little ring under the knob shows if you're in tune or not. Uses a 9-volt battery.

The artist's manager/FOH guy grabbed us some of these so we can tune on stage since he converted everything into wireless so there are no cables on stage at all. Seems like a better solution than a headstock tuner since I'm not sure it can be fully trusted in a loud crazy environment like the One Direction show should be. I'm concerned about this tuner as a volume pot since I have no idea what kind of taper it has.

Thoughts?

pipedwho
11-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Headstock vibration tuners work amazingly well in noisy environments. And the stage can never get more noisy than what can be rejected by the vocal mics.

JCD
11-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Headstock vibration tuners work amazingly well in noisy environments. And the stage can never get more noisy than what can be rejected by the vocal mics.
That's a good point. Any recommendations on headstock tuners? I checked this one Planet Waves mini Headstock tuner at GC today. It's really small, discrete, and easily readable. It just tucks behind your headstock. That was the one I was considering.

pipedwho
11-02-2012, 12:17 AM
There's always the Peterson Stroboclip. It's the only one I know of that does the Buzz Feiten offsets in a headstock form factor.

kevin h
11-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I bought a Planet Waves NS-Mini headstock tuner a few weeks ago and it works great. No problems with using it live in a noisy environment. The NS-Mini is actually small enough that you can just leave it on the guitar all of time, even in the case or gig bag.

No BFTS offsets, but it works well using the E & B string open and the 7th fret harmonics for the rest of the strings method.

It's nice to not go grab a tuner and cord after say, changing strings or when you're just playing around the house and realize your out of tune.

Having said all this, it's not as fast or accurate as my Sonic Research, so the ST200 is still on my pedalboard.

JCD
11-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd love to try out the Pederson Stroboclip. I can trust Pederson for something like that for sure. Hmm.. I may swing by GC and just grab some sort of headstock tuner just to have and test out at the show.

mdrs
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
The Snark is really good. Easy to read display, seems accurate, and the price is right!

http://www.snarktuners.com/clip-on

strat56
11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I have a Snark and a Peterson Stroboclip, both work very well. Use the Peterson for my Andersons, the Snark for everything else. The Strobobclip is a little heavier and better made than the Snark I think. The Strobobclip also comes in a metal box with a form fitted holder inside that works much better in my gig bag than the cloth storage bag that came with the Snark.