PDA

View Full Version : Pinecaster?

JCD
10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I have been thinking about putting together a parts guitar or possibly making my own Tele. While searching suppliers, I came across one that was selling Pine Tele bodies. I haven't heard of pine being used as a tone wood and know barely anything about pine with the exception of how the pine tree air freshened smells. After google-ing it, there are quite a few Tele guys with these "Pinecasters". Anybody ever tried one or know how they compare to maple, ash, etc..?

morty
10-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Hello I have not herd about using Pine either. I am very interested in differend woods and how they are different in densety look and sound..
For Info, here in Norway they had used Oregon Pine in wooden boats

tom
10-17-2012, 08:38 AM
We made a few pine and spruce guitars years ago. They are freakishly light and to me lacked bottom. In fact the first guitar we took to a namm show with our logo on it was spruce. Pine had a bit more middle than the spruce but still sounded thin to me. It seems to be all the rage with the relic crowd but I don't think it stands up next to the right weight of alder or ash.

Pietro
10-17-2012, 06:48 PM
VERY early Fender guitars often had pine bodies for some reason. I think they're awful... but I'm a mahogany guy myself.

JCD
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Interesting stuff. Yeah I heard that it was a very light weight wood on one forum and another guy said it was very easy to dent. I figured there had to be SOME reason why I hadn't heard of it hardly at all on guitars. I saw a guy on YouTube that made his own Tele from 100+ year old pine. Not sure what that does and how easy it is to acquire haha but interesting nonetheless.

JCD
10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
We made a few pine and spruce guitars years ago. They are freakishly light and to me lacked bottom. In fact the first guitar we took to a namm show with our logo on it was spruce. Pine had a bit more middle than the spruce but still sounded thin to me. It seems to be all the rage with the relic crowd but I don't think it stands up next to the right weight of alder or ash.
Speaking of that relic crowd, I hope I'm not falling into that category now! I got a ding in my Koa top of my Drop Top 7 last tour (not sure when or where) and I felt like part of my soul got punched in the face. Made me look into (gulp) relic'd guitars, specifically Bill Nash guitars, so my heart wouldn't sink if I got a ding in it on the road. Also why I was considering making my own ugly beat-up (but functional) Tele. My TAG's are just so beautiful and play so well, though. Maybe I need to just buy used and abused Andersons from now on haha.

pluto
10-18-2012, 01:56 AM
One of the local guitar shops here is a LSL guitar dealer. LSL uses "sugar pine" for a lot of their bodies. While I'm not sure how sugar pine sounds compared to other types of pine woods, I would agree that there appears to be a slight loss of bottom compared to alder. I thought they were unique sounding-the body was very resonant and alive and really punchy. The body was also very light-perhaps a little too light for my liking because the balance appeared to be off (too neck heavy).

My other complaint about their guitars was that the fretwork and especially the set-ups were very inconsistent. I know LSL has a great reputation (all hand-made bodies and necks), but the set-ups were more or less on the bad side. I know that you can always adjust the set-up, but I guess I've gotten spoiled by Andersons, which are perfect right out of the box.

morty
10-18-2012, 04:58 AM
One of the local guitar shops here is a LSL guitar dealer. LSL uses "sugar pine" for a lot of their bodies. While I'm not sure how sugar pine sounds compared to other types of pine woods, I would agree that there appears to be a slight loss of bottom compared to alder. I thought they were unique sounding-the body was very resonant and alive and really punchy. The body was also very light-perhaps a little too light for my liking because the balance appeared to be off (too neck heavy).

My other complaint about their guitars was that the fretwork and especially the set-ups were very inconsistent. I know LSL has a great reputation (all hand-made bodies and necks), but the set-ups were more or less on the bad side. I know that you can always adjust the set-up, but I guess I've gotten spoiled by Andersons, which are perfect right out of the box.

I guess for us who have ordered a custom built by TA, not many can compare! When my DT was made i had several talk to the guys at Anderson and I told them what I wanted, and got it! I have not done any adjustment to my guitar since 2009.

Pietro
10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Speaking of that relic crowd, I hope I'm not falling into that category now! I got a ding in my Koa top of my Drop Top 7 last tour (not sure when or where) and I felt like part of my soul got punched in the face. Made me look into (gulp) relic'd guitars, specifically Bill Nash guitars, so my heart wouldn't sink if I got a ding in it on the road. Also why I was considering making my own ugly beat-up (but functional) Tele. My TAG's are just so beautiful and play so well, though. Maybe I need to just buy used and abused Andersons from now on haha.

It's a well-earned battle scar, dude... keep on rockin'... :D

curtisjames
01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I have been thinking about putting together a parts guitar or possibly making my own Tele. While searching suppliers, I came across one that was selling Pine Tele bodies. I haven't heard of pine being used as a tone wood and know barely anything about pine with the exception of how the pine tree air freshened smells. After google-ing it, there are quite a few Tele guys with these "Pinecasters". Anybody ever tried one or know how they compare to maple, ash, etc..?

I had my doubts but ....but, it depends on the wood. There's a builder in lower Manhattan who grabs reclaimed pine lumber from the buildings in New York when they get torn down or remodeled. all the original buildings he grabs wood from we're built in the mid 1800's as the wood was originally cut in the early 1800 and floated down the Hudson as most was cut from upstate. The rings are tight and indicative of "old growth" Very resonant, and light. I owned a 53 Tele and its the closest Ive come to a match sonically. But Tom is right, it lacks bottom end. t doesn't have the fullness of an alder bodied tele. But, it rings like only old growth wood can. Yes, it dents easily, and it's light. Old growth wood.....there's nearly a three year wait for his guitars.