PDA

View Full Version : Guitar wireless cables..Help!

Casper
09-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Hi Folks-
Just hunting for audio-nut opinions here. I use the Shure ULX system with my 2 Andys :) and the standard Shure WA 304 (right angle cables/ mini XLR connection to wireless pack), just don't hold up. (fray/connectors)

I need to order new ones, so I am on the net hunting..there are some attractive "custom" ones on e-bay..Mogami and Canare.. considerably more expensive than the Shure..but I LOVED Canare when I was using cable to amp years ago...My question is..they are using Neutrik connectors and either Canare/Mogami cable..nice stuff to be sure...does any audio/studio guys want to weigh in as to if getting a custom wireless cable is worth it.. or should I just stick to the standard Shure WA304 cable?
Thanks for any pro/touring/studio hits on this thread..regular gigging Joes are welcome too:)

Shaun

Pietro
09-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I think it's worth having good cables. Nothing is more frustrating than cables shorting out.

I have had fantastic luck with Canare, fwiw.

tom
09-20-2012, 06:07 PM
is it the cable or the connectors that fail?

Casper
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
there are frays i the 2.5 ft cable, the connections to the mini-xlr connection to the belt pack..the connectors short (at least on Shure's end)..In short..my sound guy has repaired my Shure standard cables at least 5 times over the last 2 years.
The bigger question I guess, and not to queston the wisdom of Shure, are they using the best connectors/wire, etc...and would a custom cable/connector be better?? Capacitance/resistance/audio quality???

Briggs
09-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm a Lava Cable fan boy, I admit it. I don't get paid or sponsored but can definitely vouch for the quality. I've never used the wireless coil but I'm sure it's as quality as the rest of their stuff plus it's all made in the USA. The have a 1/4 inch to TA4F which should work on your Shure. They're not the cheapest cable but I think they all have lifetime warranties so it's worth it. Just my $.02

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=78

pipedwho
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I'll +1 the Lavacable suggestion. They make really high quality and reliable cables. They use the best parts they can find.

You can order custom lengths so there isn't any extra cable flopping around, and you can choose your cable type (ie. you don't have to go with the curly cord). I prefer to use the thinner gauge straight flexible cable to avoid heavy cable stress on the connectors, but you may prefer something more substantial.

Casper
09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I bought two customs from NY Pro Audio off e-bay. They are 2' mogami with gold right angle Neutrik connectors. Double what the Shure's cost, but these folks have a pretty awesome rep..will let y'all know. Thanks for the input!:)

Danny21
09-26-2012, 09:12 PM
+1 with lava, Great Quality and awesome people...