PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Knobs for A Bulldog

X - Road 28
07-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm a bit of a tweaker so don't crucify me :D

Currently have a Bulldog I purchased from another member which replaced them with a set of Bonnet type knobs, very nice addition by the way.

I would also like to change them out once in a while to a set of barrel type in the future depending on my mood.

Do I need a specific size or type or would any Tele type knob fit ? I do not want to modify anything as I still swap between the speed knobs and the bonnets.

tom
07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
if by barrel you mean knurled metal knobs, you'll need to find some made for split shaft pots made for push on knobs. a set screw knob will spin pretty wobbly as it will crush the shaft and be non concentric.

X - Road 28
07-29-2012, 03:18 PM
if by barrel you mean knurled metal knobs, you'll need to find some made for split shaft pots made for push on knobs. a set screw knob will spin pretty wobbly as it will crush the shaft and be non concentric.

Yep, that is what I mean. The speedknobs that came with the Bulldog fit perfect and are tight, the after market Bonnets are a bit loose.

I od not know I could not use set screw barrel knobs. Would something like the ones on the Drop Top's with push pull work and where can I find some. I prefer something that fit tight and doesn't wobble.

tom
07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
If you use set screw knobs, you need to ut something in the slot of the shaft so the screw does not collapse the shaft. Even with that the knobs will .probably have some wobble but will be solid.

pipedwho
07-29-2012, 07:57 PM
You can also try a few layers of 'cling wrap' over the shaft to tighten up the fit. Easy enough to try and works wonders. I use that technique whenever a knob of any sort starts to get a bit loose.

X - Road 28
07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
You can also try a few layers of 'cling wrap' over the shaft to tighten up the fit. Easy enough to try and works wonders. I use that technique whenever a knob of any sort starts to get a bit loose.

Great, thanks. I was thinking plumbers tape, but I'll try some cling wrap form the kitchen tonight and tighten up the Bonnets.

pipedwho
07-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Great, thanks. I was thinking plumbers tape, but I'll try some cling wrap form the kitchen tonight and tighten up the Bonnets.
Plumbers tape can work too, but cling wrap is super easy to use and generally readily available in most homes. You don't have to wrap it around the post, just stack up a few layers and lay it over the post, then push the knob down over it. The cling wrap will form around the post as the knob comes down around/over the top. Then just trim any visible leftover bits and you're ready to rock.