PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...torn ligament

tmihm
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm bummed.

I was cleaning the fretboard on one of my Andy's and (obviously) must have stayed at it too long. When I woke up the mornig after I cleaned it, my right index finger knuckle was all swollen up and hurt like all hell. I waited for a couple of weeks and there was really no improvement, so i went to my PCP. He diagnosed it as tendonitis (without taking any xrays...) and said to treat it for a month or so with Naproxin and ice.

I did that for two months and still no improvement. Scheduled an appt with an orthopedic hand-guy, and after taking xrays he said I have a torn RCL. So my right hand is in a custom-made splint with my index and middle fingers kinda tied together, and I have to wear it for 7 weeks then go back for a return evaluation. Meanwhile, I work in IT and type all day...and he made it very clear to me - NO guitar playing until I go back and see him. Of course, things could certainly be worse - but after the 1st week, I REALLY started missing playing. I play at church every Sunday...that's out. The band plays out once a month...I had to cancel our August gig.

I'm not looking for pity or anything :p just thought you guys might like to know. Friking guitar-cleaning injuries...that's a first!

One kinda nice thing is that we recorded some of our last gig in HD, and the guy just finished up with the videos. My main Andy is back at Tom's having some neck work done, so I'm using a Tele... Check it out if you're bored stiff. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BB605263A7E2AFE

Terry

tom
07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
aging is heck, as i sit typing with a brace on both hands...

Casper
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I start gigs now wondering at what point do my fingers go numb (fretting hand)..lasts for a few songs. I HATE getting old..48 in few days Sheesh!
Sorry to hear of the other ailments, but glad I'm not alone!

chriswhite
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Note to self: "Don't Clean Guitars"

that was the message here, right? ;)

Briggs
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Note to self: "Don't Clean Guitars"

that was the message here, right? ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking!

pluto
07-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Wow, I never heard of getting an injury from doing that. Hope you get well soon so you can play guitar again!

paleolith54
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I start gigs now wondering at what point do my fingers go numb (fretting hand)..lasts for a few songs. I HATE getting old..48 in few days Sheesh!
Sorry to hear of the other ailments, but glad I'm not alone!

I don't even temember 48!

pluto
07-30-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't even temember 48!

:eek: !!! That's scary!!

curtisjames
08-03-2012, 10:06 AM
BUMMER! .....when I was down and out, I used the time to find cool songs, and start memorizing them. Just the kind of stuff that usually suffered most when ...well I'd be playing more. Lyrics, chord progressions. when I was playing or practicing 6 hrs a day...I was suffering from repetitive motion issues or a form of carpal tunnel. I started stretching before, during , and after to help alleviate the symptoms. it totally bites and wish you well and a successful outcome my friend.

RVA
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear it. You are not alone. See link/article about susceptibility of guitarists/musicians to repetitive stress injuries below:

http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/a/rsi_guitar.htm