PDA

View Full Version : no clearance between 1st string and 1st fret on DT w/OFR and w/Jumbo frets

Big Harry
05-04-2012, 05:33 PM
OK ,
I've checked all I can find about it , because its happen to me .

So, my first string (E) is sounding dull , muted and some how like a sitar when played open .
When played fretted , everything is perfect .
I've changed 4 string brands (#.010 gauge) , no help.
(it seems Elixir is the most thicker one , since this effect is lowest with them , but still dull )
My nut (and guitar) is clean, absolutely .
When I press the string on 3rd fret , and pluck the string between nut and 3rd fret , there is NO ANY SOUND .
All the rest of the strings have that "plink ! " ,high frequency sound , like a bell on Helium :eek: .
(even with very low action and straight neck ,this is what I like TAG's )

Magnifier said to me that 1st string is touching first fret, there is no clearance (gap) there , no matter of bow level in the neck .
If I arise my bridge on maximum , it becomes not so dull and muted, but still like a sitar , and still not sparkle and clear.
Of course , action is then extremely high .

Bottom part of the "letter" V of OFR locking nut is not damaged, it looks like a new , but string did cut and wear small "trench" on the bottom of the nut , clearly showing its "bed" :) .
1st string also get flat after every serious use , and has to be re-tightened and back in tune very often .
The rest of the strings stays in tune for a days of heavy Floyd use.

My DT is equipped with Jumbo's , and I had to put some kind of shim between string and nut saddle ( I call it "saddle" the space between two V's in the nut :) ) in a manner to create a clearance with 1st fret .
Now , its working, string is not so dull , but it is not solution, since string is now higher than others , and doesn't belong anymore to that nice radius shape created by other strings (also , my chords is not in the PERFECT tune anymore, even the string it self is in tune ??)

So , the question is obviously -how to re-create that clearance , to bring back clear tone , but to maintain string to stay leveled in the radius with other strings and so in tune .
1) to replace OFR nut with brand new - what benefit it can bring (since bottom of V where string is laying on, is on higher level that nut saddle , and V is untouched, like a new ? )
2)to leave the original nut ,but to replace Jumbo frets with smaller frets -which ones will be enough short to create clearance ?
3) you name it , thanks :)

Sorry for long post , I just want to save your time on asking me what have I done already :D

Thanks for the inputs ,most appreciated !
Zoran

tom
05-04-2012, 06:11 PM
If you hold the first string down at the third fret and there is no clearance at the first fret, the nut has to be raised. You will need a small shim added to the treble side of the nut. Floyd nuts are notorious for having burrs in the V but if it wasn't doing this before than this is probably not the problem. The plain strings do cut the plating so this can make the string not ring cleanly. Some fine sandpaper wrapped around a thin blade can cleanup the surface. But if the string is too low, the simple solution is raising the nut.

Big Harry
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought you are on Hawaii , and didn't expect so prompt answer ,thanks Tom !
Similar things is happen with my other guitar and OFR from the end of the hairy eighties :D , but there I have lower frets, so clearance is still there .

I can do that tomorrow with Grant from TOMS' , just please tell me is there any glue between nut and neck .
Looking through magnifier , it looks like that , or this is just a lacquer from headstock , I am not sure ?
If yes , is there any special advise how to deal with that glue, and which glue to use for re-assembling ?

Again, should we put the shims underneath of whole nut and arise it evenly , or just under treble side , as you said ?
It will not mess with intonation or origin string radius , since we will create an angle, basically ?

Thanks !!!!

tom
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
there is no glue. you can probably just loosen the two screws on the back and slide a thin shim, a piece of fine sandpaper(4-600 grit) is good, under the treble side of the nut. re tighten the screws and re check. it should not need reintonating since you're just putting it back where it was.

Big Harry
05-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Sorted out ! :)
Grant did it very well , new shims on both treble and bass side , since we removed old shims .
It took him 4 trials until we choose the right shims .
That guy is even more strict when it comes to details and fine, fine tuning .

Grant noted it was particularly my mistake,because I used to over -tightened lock-nut screws a bit (becauseit tend to go flat, remember?) , what created a wear.
I promised to be more gentle in the future :eek: :

Now , everything is perfect ,but with much more pleasant action than before .
Thanks Grant .

Case closed ! :cool: