PDA

View Full Version : SC3 bridge for rock/pop

JeKo
04-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi guys!

Do you think that the SC3 would be a good choice for the bridge position for rock and pop type of stuff? I've never played this pickup myself and would love to hear your opinions.

Is it an articulate pickup that doesn't get muddy when used with distortion (for example Guns 'n roses/Bon Jovi)? I don't play metal so it doesn't need to handle that but anything from blues to rock with nice definition.

Thanks!

pipedwho
04-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I think the concepts of 'single coil bridge pickup' and 'muddy' are diametrically opposed. :)

That being said, I haven't tried the SC3, but going by the brightness of an SF1 that I have in the neck of my DT, I can't imagine an SC3 in the bridge position being a problem for rock and pop. Split the coils and it'd probably rip your ears open like a firecracker in a paint can.

gibson5413
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
An SC3 can easily do that for you. Here is a clip I recorded with my Classic with an SC3 in the bridge. Probably a heavier tune than you will play but as you can tell it can easily hang with a humbucker. The track on the right (in drop D) is the SC3.

http://tonefinder.com/files/67-Cali%20-%20Lay%20It%20Down.mp3

JeKo
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
An SC3 can easily do that for you. Here is a clip I recorded with my Classic with an SC3 in the bridge. Probably a heavier tune than you will play but as you can tell it can easily hang with a humbucker. The track on the right (in drop D) is the SC3.

http://tonefinder.com/files/67-Cali%20-%20Lay%20It%20Down.mp3

Sounds great! Yeah, that's probably a little more saturation that I'm going to be using but nice to know it can handle that high-gain stuff pretty good.

By the way, I was watching some of your videos the other day and noticed that you've swapped the SC3 for a humbucker. What made you do that? Just curious :)

gibson5413
04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Sounds great! Yeah, that's probably a little more saturation that I'm going to be using but nice to know it can handle that high-gain stuff pretty good.

By the way, I was watching some of your videos the other day and noticed that you've swapped the SC3 for a humbucker. What made you do that? Just curious :)

I just wanted a little more diversity since Tom's pickups split so well. I can still get the single coil tones and have a humbucker at my disposal too.

JeKo
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
I just wanted a little more diversity since Tom's pickups split so well. I can still get the single coil tones and have a humbucker at my disposal too.

And your Classic was already routed for a bridge humbucker?

tom
04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
they all are.

pipedwho
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
And your Classic was already routed for a bridge humbucker?
All Andersons Classics are routed HSH by default (with the exception of some really old builds from the late eighties and possibly early nineties). The only issues would be trying to fit a covered humbucker in a pre 2008 guitar where the fit will be quite tight (nothing a little filing can't fix). Also, the Ms are a little wider than standard buckers and won't necessarily fit in old guitars either without a little routing. I believe all the newer models are now routed HMH with the H routes big enough to handle the Ms.

JeKo
04-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Good to know there are a lot of options as for possible pickup combinations.