PDA

View Full Version : 5-Way with Push/Pull + VA Boost—for 2 pickup ?

nessgfonky
03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Hey,

It's a question for Tom :

What is the configuration with 5-Way with Push/Pull + VA Boost—for 2 pickup ?

It's for a classic T project. And, is it possible to have this configuration with a TVI (neck) and TV3 (bridge) ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Christophe

tom
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
That wiring would be for 2 dual coil pickups. Tv1 and 2 are single coils so it would not be applicable. If you had dual coils it would be:
Neck in series
Neck parallel
Both series, with pull both split.
Bridge parallel
Bridge series.
Mini switch is for boost.

nessgfonky
03-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Thanks very much Tom !

There is no possibility to have a 5 way switch configuration with TV1 and TV3 ?

And what is the difference between TD1/ TD3 and TV1/TV3

Thanks in advance

Christophe

pipedwho
03-12-2012, 03:49 AM
The TD series are stacked coil hum cancelling pickups. They can be 'split' to run as a true single coil (obviously with the usual noise that comes with a real single coil). Unlike a regular side by side humbucker, splitting a stacked pickup like the TD produces a louder more single coil tone than when run hum cancelling.

The TV series are true single coils, so there is no extra 'split' option. A three position switch is pretty much all you need for this configuration.

nessgfonky
03-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks Pipedwho !

For more versatility I am going to choose the TD1 and TD3 as my next project.

My new Tom will be :

• MODEL: – Hollow T Classic—with body contours
• FINISH: – Sparkle Amber
• BODY WOOD: – alder Top on alder Back
• BODY WOOD BACK COLOR: – same
• NECK WOOD: – chocolate maple with rosewood fingerboard - madagascar rosewood if it's possible ?
• HEADSTOCK COLOR: – Natural Gloss
• NECK BACK FINISH: – Satin
• NECK BACKSHAPE: even taper
• NUT WIDTH: – 1 5/8
• SCALE LENGTH: – 25 1/2-inch
• FRETS: – Heavy
• BRIDGE: – Fixed Bridge
• TUNING GEAR: – locking
• HARDWARE COLOR: – Chrome
• PICKGUARD: – Mint White
• NECK PICKUP: TD1 black
• MIDDLE PICKUP: none
• BRIDGE PICKUP: TD3 black
• SWITCHING: – 5-Way ?? what kind of five way is possible ?
• PICKUP COVERS: – n/a

What do you thing about this project ?

Tom => is it possible to have madagascar rosewood neck
and what kind of 5 way siwtch is possible with TD1 and TD3 ?

Thanks in advance :)

precision : i like funk and jazz fusion and i already have strat (Tom Anderson) guitars and I want now a classic T :o

Christophe

pipedwho
03-12-2012, 06:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about a 5 way switch with only two stacked singles. Just get a 3 way with a push/pull tone pot that splits the coils for the louder single coil chime. And *definitely* get the mid booster circuit (which is wired to a mini-switch).

nessgfonky
03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Good idea, I had not thought of it! ;)

Maybe it's possible to get just a mini toggle 3 way :
- Pulled up is: Single operation for the two pickup
- Middle is : boosted vintage output for the two pickup
-Pushed down is:boosted vintage output for the two pickup

It's VA BOOSTER

If it's possible it's a good choice i think !

nessgfonky
03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Another question for Tom (excuse me..) what do you thing about my configuration Hollow T classic with 3 pickup : bridge : TV3 and VA7R middle VA7 neck ?

Thanks in advance

pipedwho
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Good idea, I had not thought of it! ;)

Maybe it's possible to get just a mini toggle 3 way :
- Pulled up is: Single operation for the two pickup
- Middle is : boosted vintage output for the two pickup
-Pushed down is:boosted vintage output for the two pickup

It's VA BOOSTER

If it's possible it's a good choice i think !
Keeping both push-pull and miniswitch is better, you can always swap the function between the mini-switch and the push-pull pot if you prefer it that way.

But, the VA booster in conjunction with the split and non-split sounds are useful positions too, as are all of the non-boosted options. To get all of that, you'll need both the push-pull pot and the mini-switch.

pipedwho
03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Another question for Tom (excuse me..) what do you thing about my configuration Hollow T classic with 3 pickup : bridge : TV3 and VA7R middle VA7 neck ?

Thanks in advance
Nothing wrong with that combo. You can now use a 5 way switch. Also, get the push-pull pot to add the bridge (that way you can run neck+bridge or all three pickups). And still go with the VA booster on a mini-switch.

Since it's a tele, have you considered a more esoteric option like a full sized neck humbucker like the HC1 or HC1-, plus a SC1R in the middle, and a TD3 in the bridge? All hum cancelling, splittable, and VA boostable. Good jazz tones, and funky bridge tele tones. Not super-vintage sounding, but not modern either. Then again, jazz and funk aren't really vintage genres. Replacing the SC1R/TD3 with a VA7R/TV3 would be more sparkly vintage, but probably unnecessary for your desired music style as you're likely to slightly roll back the tone pot anyway.

nessgfonky
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks pipedwho for the advice ! ;)

Roy (maybe)
03-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi Christophe,

Oh this sounds like a really great guitar. T Classics (hollow) are sweet and Sparkle Amber is one of those colors that shows so nicely from stage. It commands without being over the top. We have a pro player who uses that color on The Classic and the live shots of him look great with that color.

Pickups and switching - if I may...

Don't think about switching until you have decided on pickups first. Select the pickups by the tone and character you desire. All of our corresponding switching will give you the most versatility the particular pickups you choose can offer. No tone will be left unavailable - fun huh!?

TV-series: sweet and full vintage tone with that slight softened spike that only vintage single coils can have because the pole pieces are the magnets. We do theses with a 3-Way and Booster for all the sounds available. TV1 in the neck. TV2 bright but non-aggressive highs - really sweet. TV3 bigger bridge tone that is nicely articulate and yet full and rich single tone to slightly round the spike of the high strings.

TD-Series offer a more in-your-face single coil tone with a faster attack and dynamic full single tone. There is a crack to the highs on these that happens right after the initial percussive attack. These are the only ones we offer with the 5-Way that will run them in series or split. We did this on our search for true single tone from these.

TF-Series are our newest T-style stack and use sonic secrets not seen anywhere else. As a result these pickups can run hum-free all the time and sound like angels are singing from your amp (not really kidding about that). The highs are very present and yet always soft and sweet and soothing while the overall timbre is full and rich (not thin) single coil tone. For this only a 3-Way is needed and a VA Booster.

So great. Hope this helps.

So with that you are now free and clear to select your favorite sound and we will make sure the switching delivers all the pickups can do - and more.

Fun day to you and thanks so much for being here with us on the Anderson Forum.

pipedwho
03-17-2012, 01:09 AM
^ ^ Listen to that guy! ^ ^

He knows what he's talking about.

nessgfonky
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks very much Roy (maybe) !