PDA

View Full Version : Pickup ideas for Schecter Strat

Custom 100
02-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Hello all, first post here.
I just picked up an old Schecter Strat style electric. Pretty sure it was assembled as a kit/parts guitar back in the day. Body is koa, neck is shedua according to the numbers stamped on each. Neck is Tele style headstock. Pickups are old EMGs, an H in the neck and an 81 in the bridge. Controls are a 3 way Gibson style selector and two 25K CTS pots dated 1982. Pretty sure this has been together as a guitar since then. Bridge is a Rockinger VH style trem.
I'm not really an EMG/active PU kind of guy so I'm thinking about trying some new pickups. I do have a Schecter humbucker out of an early 80's PT that I'd like to try and wondering if the is a new TA pickup that would be a good match. The pu I have is black cover, no exposed poles, filled with white epoxy. Measures about 8.6K. Super Rock pickup maybe? Missing the leads but should be easy to sort out. Any/all ideas welcome.

Thanks for the help!

tom
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
back then we never installed those pickups or bridge, so it's probably a guitar assembled somewhere other than the schecter factory.
as for the super rock you have, they were always clear epoxy on the bottom, if yours is white is is some other brand. is the cover metal or plastic?

Custom 100
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Tom!
I'm pretty sure that this guitar was put together locally at Knut Koupee. The pickup I have has a black metal cover. I've attached a copy shots of it.
Would you have any recommendations for a good vintage-ish pair of your pickups that would work well in a koa body strat?

Thanks very much!

tom
02-29-2012, 07:11 PM
ah yes, knut, loved those guys. looks like a van nuys pickup. haven't seen one in years, maybe the epoxy turns color with age. certainly looks like it's been used.
koa can be on the harder sounding side, so you don't want anything too bright. i'd do hf1 and hf2. they've got some schzing on the top that might add a little sweetness to the koa.

pipedwho
03-01-2012, 04:59 PM
i'd do hf1 and hf2. they've got some schzing on the top that might add a little sweetness to the koa.
Gotta love that there schzinginess. :D

I'll second Tom's recommendation. Those are the pickups I'd choose for that combination of wood for a more traditional vintage sparkly humbucker tone with what I call the alnico chime. An HF2 in the bridge also has enough extra push (over an HF1+) to keep it interesting when driven and still be able to be dialled back to a nice vintage sounding clean tone.

Custom 100
03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Perfect! Thanks for all the very helpful info. Can't wait to get the EMGs out and the TAs in! Keep ya posted....:)