PDA

View Full Version : HD500 aux in?

dplight
01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm looking into an HD500 and was looking through the manuals. The "AUX IN" caught my attention. I was wondering if it could be used as an input for the C+2 acoustic signal. I'll continue digging through the manual, but any comments or suggestions from those who have been there/done that beats a manual any day.

dannopelli
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm looking into an HD500 and was looking through the manuals. The "AUX IN" caught my attention. I was wondering if it could be used as an input for the C+2 acoustic signal. I'll continue digging through the manual, but any comments or suggestions from those who have been there/done that beats a manual any day.

Aux in will work for a second guitar. Not sure how the IO works with it. PM Pietro. He uses both a C2 and a regular guitar with it.

Pietro
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

Use Aux 2 to feed a chain with a null amp and maybe a little compression and some EQ (which you need to adjust to taste)...

use the regular guitar input for your guitar + 6 FX.

I do this all the time. Sometimes I put the delays or verbs on both signals.

I mix them and send one feed to the house, but you can also pan them hard left and right and keep them separate.

Works GREAT!

Pietro
01-02-2012, 12:36 PM
btw, I talk a little about it in the article in my signature... and I have a couple tones set up this way at the Line6 site.

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/PeterHamm/

be sure to read the descriptions, because I use my expression pedals in a fairly wacky fashion!

dplight
01-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks Pietro. I have read your article at least once, and now I'm going back for a refresher. I am hoping to get the C+2 to do the dual sound thing with just the HD500 (just ordered a few minutes ago). I would want to mix the mag and piezo C+2 signals within the HD500.

Oh, I downloaded your two voice patch also. Thank you much.

Chris Lieder
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I use the HD500 this way as well. I pan the acoustic far left and the electric far right and am using the expression pedal as a pan pedal to pan between the two signals. It is a convenient way for me to switch between signals or mix them to taste on the fly.

Pietro
01-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I use the HD500 this way as well. I pan the acoustic far left and the electric far right and am using the expression pedal as a pan pedal to pan between the two signals. It is a convenient way for me to switch between signals or mix them to taste on the fly.

I do something like that with two volume pedals... works for me, but your technique is probably more useful for more people. Have you posted patches at line6? You should. I've posted some, but I think people find my wacky use of the expression pedal not so useful.

Briggs
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
See, now this is how i get into trouble. You guys start talking all this hd500 stuff and it makes me want to try it with the C+. sure seems like a nice compact traveling/giging setup. must.resist.urge. *sirens* step away from the credit card!!

Pietro
01-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Used ones can be had pretty cheap... just sayin'...

Briggs
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
sshhhh! Pietro, the wife's in the other room... If she catches wind of this I'm blaming you!

dplight
01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
The HD500 arrived yesterday. I only had time to register it, update everything, install the editing software and driver, and run through about half the presets in the first set list. Also have dug through the manuals and think I understand what it can do now. It's pretty amazing how versitile it is. Now comes the task of overwriting the presets with my stuff.

Does anyone here know of a road case that will work well it and allow for a 2nd expression pedal?

Briggs
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey dplight, keep us posted on your experience with the HD500. I love to know your thoughts about it.

What strings are you running on the C+2 these days? I haven't really branched out, I'm using Elixir 80/20 nano custom lights. Pietro, what about you and any other crowdy users?

dplight
01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Briggs, I recently switch from Elixer nano 80/20 12's to 11's. So far I like the 11's a lot. It's opened up some possibilities for me to use the C+2 a bit more with the mag pickups on leads. The 12's were a bit uncomfortable to bend very far.

I have not run the C+2 through the HD500 yet. My goal right now is to get the HD configured to replace the tonelab.

Pietro
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Using Elixir 80/20 nanos on the Crowdster. Have only tried one other kind of string (Cleartone phosphor) but I prefer the 80/20 and the Elixirs last me a LONG time.

Interestingly enough, I like the sound of the polys better on my "real acoustic".

dannopelli
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
The HD500 arrived yesterday. I only had time to register it, update everything, install the editing software and driver, and run through about half the presets in the first set list. Also have dug through the manuals and think I understand what it can do now. It's pretty amazing how versitile it is. Now comes the task of overwriting the presets with my stuff.

Does anyone here know of a road case that will work well it and allow for a 2nd expression pedal?
Consider getting a Pedal Train board. Gig bag or case up to you. You can go to Home Depot/Lowes, buy parts to make a short extension cord, (or buy one), say 10" or so. Mount the HD 500 wall wart to the bottom of the board, you can use zip ties, with its cable bundled and run plugged into the unit. Plug your home made extension cord to the wall wart and use zip ties to lock them together. Run the cord out one of the holes in the front of the board. You can then mount your second pedal to the board too.

This is what I do anyway. I just don't use a second pedal. PM me and I'll send some pics.

dannopelli
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Consider getting a Pedal Train board. Gig bag or case up to you. You can go to Home Depot/Lowes, buy parts to make a short extension cord, (or buy one), say 10" or so. Mount the HD 500 wall wart to the bottom of the board, you can use zip ties, with its cable bundled and run plugged into the unit. Plug your home made extension cord to the wall wart and use zip ties to lock them together. Run the cord out one of the holes in the front of the board. You can then mount your second pedal to the board too.

This is what I do anyway. I just don't use a second pedal. PM me and I'll send some pics.

Here are some pics. I also included a pic of the snake made for me by Todd at Pro Cables and Sound. (the stickies on the pedal board are colored to make it easier to make connections in the dark.

I use my HD 500 with a Maz 38 or Maz 18. I use it both as a pedal board and sometimes use the amp sims. The four cable method allows you to do both.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/dannopelli/POD%20HD%20500/PODHD.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/dannopelli/POD%20HD%20500/PODHDFront.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/dannopelli/POD%20HD%20500/PODHDBottom.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/dannopelli/POD%20HD%20500/PODHDSnake.jpg