PDA

View Full Version : I quit smoking.

GASMAN
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably a traditional thread at new years time but............just wanted to say it. I'm on day 2, chewing the gum. (Has to be better than inhaling smoke into your lungs, right).

Anyway.......that's that. 54 in Jan. , so-----it's definately time.

tom
01-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats! Keep it up.

dannopelli
01-02-2012, 10:20 AM
COOL! Congrats!

guitarzan
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm proud of you. My mom was in a constant state of trying to quit so I've witnessed how difficult it can be.

mdrs
01-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Good Move, G-man!! All the best to you!

Pietro
01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Keep workin' it! When you get crazy, plug in and turn up!

GASMAN
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Congrats! Keep it up.

Now personallly, that means an awful lot to me. The fact that the builder of some of the finest guitars made today is giving me (just a guitar player from Iowa) encouragement to stop smoking.................I mean really--------thanks ,Tom.

And thanks to everyone else, too. I've tried before over the years, but this time I really feel like stopping. I already feel better!

strat56
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Congratulations, good luck, I know it's tough but you'll feel much better about yourself after you quit.

I finally quit almost 14 years ago, It was tough, I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker. I tried several times before it actually happened. I used the NicoDerm patch. What really helped at the beginning was not doing the things that I used to do that triggered the desire for a cigarette and I kept myself busy all the time so I didn't think about it. There are some things that can't be avoided like wanting a smoke after a meal but if you can change your habits it will help.

tom
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
my dad was a smoker all his life, then at about 65 he quit cold turkey. my mom had died about 10 years prior to that, and he said he quite because of our kids, his grand kids. (but i think it was because he met a lady)he's 92 this year and still with that lady!

picnic
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I hope you stick to it. Nothing wrong with fresh air

Ray K.
01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
That's fantabulous news! Quitting is one thing...staying "quit" is another. It may not always be easy, but it can be done. We'll hold you accountable if you like.

Besides, there's something about "Gasman" and lit cigarettes that sounds a bit unhealthy. (minor attempt at humor ;))

Ray K.

FFOGG
01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I quit 4 years ago ..good luck ...Get the Book the Easy Way To Stop Smoking and pray ..thats how I did it after 34 years of smoking ..Good Luck !!

markus
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats & great news! I quit some years ago myself and know how hard it can be. Keep it up!

GASMAN
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I quit 4 years ago ..good luck ...Get the Book the Easy Way To Stop Smoking and pray ..thats how I did it after 34 years of smoking ..Good Luck !!

Yes, I've read that book. Found it quite helpful and am using much of what he wrote to help get through this initial phase.

Almost bedtime, and I've made it through my second day!

curtisjames
01-03-2012, 01:26 AM
nicotine is a powerful force in every form consumed. I work with guys who chew. I see their emotional roller coaster everyday. I don't know you, but am proud of you. it takes courage.

FFOGG
01-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Gasman I read it and then got the audio version and would listen to it in car ..really helped reinforce the lessons ..my family got sick of it but they understood .... I also used Chantix and got off the gum ..If I could quit you can ... it really doesnt help or make anything better .

GASMAN
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Gasman I read it and then got the audio version and would listen to it in car ..really helped reinforce the lessons ..my family got sick of it but they understood .... I also used Chantix and got off the gum ..If I could quit you can ... it really doesnt help or make anything better .

Well, I'm certainly hitting the gum so, hope I don't get hooked on that. I'm also chewing some sugarless gum ( not to over-do the nicotine gum.)

Day 3 folks. NOT easy, but seem to be on a roll here. Thanks for all the support.

Briggs
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
You can beat this, just think of how quickly that saved money will add up to a new andy!! Seriously though, both my mom and mother-in-law quit after after 20+ years and it wasn't easy but both are so glad they did now. You can do it.

FFOGG
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I just sent you a pm

GASMAN
01-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I just sent you a pm

Sorry. Did not recieve it. Maybe try again?

FFOGG
01-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Sent to wrong person it should be there now

GASMAN
01-07-2012, 12:49 AM
UPDATE:

The support from everybody has meant so much to me-------that I feel an obligation to be nothing but honest with you all. I slipped and bought a pack this week. The good news is that I have cut way back from my usual pack a day. Still, that's not "quitting", and tomorrow is another day.

I have vowed to not give up this fight and go back to smoking as usual. So, I will keep trying everyday to beat this habit.

Thank you all for taking the time to throw your support my way. No need to reply, really. When I win this battle----I'll let you all know.

strat56
01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I tried several before I was finally able to quit. Keep trying,you'll get there.

FFOGG
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I smoked from age 13 to almost 49 ..a little over a pack a day ...its not easy but get on Chantix and start listening to Allen Carr again...I try and failed 7x till I did it .... and pray it helps !!

harritone
01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
That is phenomenal!...Man, I wish I could...I'm 37, smoke 1.5 packs a day, and have had fears on not being able to quit. I want to very bad. Thanks for the inspiration, that it can be done!.....So, at 1.5 packs a day, that's what, ~$3000/year?....If I quit, I could buy a brand new Anderson each year after that!.....among many other benefits....Congrats again!

Raven
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I wish you the best Gasman !!!!! I quit 8 years ago cold turkey. No pills or gum .... I would get home from work and go right to bed for the first 2 weeks ... I figured if I was asleep I would not be smoking or have the urge to ... I would sleep right through till was time to wake up and go to work ..... Once you get through those first 2 weeks with withdrawls you pretty much have it licked...... Best thing I ever did .... I feel a heck of alot better not smoking ..... Try the sleep method !!!! It works !!!!!!

tom
01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
sometimes i feel like we should offer a discount on service on non smokers guitars. sometimes they smell so bad we have to take them outside before we can work on them:eek:

Raven
01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
sometimes i feel like we should offer a discount on service on non smokers guitars. sometimes they smell so bad we have to take them outside before we can work on them:eek:

Mine is being built in the shop now should be almost ready to ship !!!!!! Yes keep the smoke outside !!!!! :D

marzzz
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
This was in the New York Times today:

Study finds patches and gum don't help smokers quit. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/health/study-finds-nicotine-gum-and-patches-dont-help-smokers-quit.html?partner=rss&emc=rss)

But all of you trying to quit- keep at it!!

strat56
01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
This was in the New York Times today:

Study finds patches and gum don't help smokers quit. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/health/study-finds-nicotine-gum-and-patches-dont-help-smokers-quit.html?partner=rss&emc=rss)

But all of you trying to quit- keep at it!!

All I can say is I tried to quit several times and was not successful until I used the patch. I was smoking over 2 packs a day for 30 years. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

marzzz
01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.Source was The New York Times, but then again, I don't necessarily believe everything I read there, either.....!:D

GASMAN
01-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Next week they will probably have a study stating the opposite. Their study is not going to influence me one way or the other.

I think some think that the patch, or the gum is going to "magically" make you not want to smoke any more. When that doesn't happen----they assume it is not working.

I've never used the patch, but have found that the nicotine gum does help me. ( Me----maybe not everyone). It certainly is not a magical feeling that makes you not want to smoke anymore. But I am getting nicotine from it (I can taste it). Don't know if it's phycological or because it is an actual nicotine replacement-----but it HELPS me to not smoke. That's the bottom line.