PDA

View Full Version : considering selling grosh, need opinions...

slowburn
07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
been jonesin' for a hollowcobra/hollowdroptop t real bad

I've got a grosh retroclassic, #583.
made late 1998 I believe.
alder body
maple neck/rosewood board, vintage tint on maple
1 5/8" nut, 10" radius, med/roundback neck
deep jewel green finish, mint pickguard and pickup covers.
3 dimarzio virtual vintage single coils
volume, tone, blend, etc...
I would say the guitar is in very good condition. the only things wrong are cosmetic:

no fret wear than I can tell, but there are some dings on the body, a scrape a few inches long and .5 cm thick along part of it, and two places where the nitro finish on the sides had some sort of reaction with the foam on my guitar stand, cause it's eaten away right there and you can see the natural wood. (I think it looks cool).
sounds amazing, although I should probably get it set up again.

I know the fact that it doesn't have fralins hurts its value cause everyone's googoo for fralins and dimarzio has a stigma about their vv pups, but I love em. maybe it's cause I grew up playing humbuckers and don't really know what a true single coil is supposed to sound like, but all I know is I get a real nice fat clear tone.

what could I expect to get for a guitar like this?

killerburst
07-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Completed items search at ebay shows the last successful transaction on a Retro Classic w/ Fralins @ $1,000. Same vintage as yours, too. There's a mint condition sunburst RC up there now with 1 bid @ $1,000 and 6 days to go.

I'll give you $500 for yours. :D

slowburn
07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
or how about I just trade you for a synsonics terminator...

in all reality, this guitar will probably be my last. I may just have grosh send me a couple of pickguard fitted with triple anderson m-series pickups, and dual seymour duncan '59 humbuckers as an alternative.. gotta love that swimming pool route. kind of like a "hollow classic" without the $60 upcharge

Stan Malinowski
07-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Slowburn,

Even though Grosh Retros are GREAT guitars (I've owned 4) they are difficult to sell. eBAY rarely yiels more than $1100-1200 for RCs with Fralins. With Dimarzios I would expect bids in the $1000 range.