PDA

View Full Version : looking for a pedal steel

tom
12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
looking for a single 10 or 12. got lots of things to trade.
whatcha got?

FFOGG
12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Just sold mine

chriswhite
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Just sold mine to Steve Kimock ..... ok I am name dropping but he lives near me ..as does Chris Martin who I see shopping at Wegmans every week

shameless i know but its great to be in Pa .
I dont think you wanna get in the name dropping challenge with Tom... I think he'll always win :D

tom
12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
nah, sometimes it's fun to know famous people, sometimes not. but it didn't help with my search:D

FFOGG
12-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I can delete easily just having some fun today :)

tom
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
no harm, no foul.

tom
12-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Got a new to me steel on the way! Thanks jack(strat56)

Ray K.
12-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Look out Robert Randolph...! ;)

(yes, more "name dropping" :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_921908&src_vid=aKEM-hKAFbo&v=DHIy6kC2iD4

(If anyone doesn't have time for the entire video, hit the 3:10 mark.)

Hope you have a ton of fun, Tom. I tried to get acclimated to lap steel for a little while, humbling. Helped me have a real appreciation for steel players.

Ray K.

tom
12-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I played for a few years about 25 years ago, looking forward to getting reaquainted. Robert is certainly pushing the instrument into a new place. Am hoping to cover some electric 6 string territory with it this time.

Suriel Zayas
12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
looking forward to getting reaquainted. Robert is certainly pushing the instrument into a new place.

Here comes the pedalboard from hell!!!!!!!! I was going to suggest to build the new TAG model. lol Enjoy! Btw, Happy New Year to all!

dplight
12-31-2011, 03:16 PM
I played for a few years about 25 years ago, looking forward to getting reaquainted. Robert is certainly pushing the instrument into a new place. Am hoping to cover some electric 6 string territory with it this time.

Be careful. Pedal steel will make you insane. I used to work with a guy that was very good at pedal steel. He could barely tie his shoes. His nick name was "Wingnut".

tom
12-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Pedalboard will be interesting. Feet are pretty busy with pedals and knee levers so I may need to get creative with how I activate the pedals.

Ray K.
01-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I've seen Robert reach over and turn on/off or tweak his pedals by hand. The pedalboard is just to his right, up off the floor. Can't say for sure he's still doing it that way.

For whatever that's worth...

Ray K.

tom
01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Thatswhat he dies, and it looks kind of silly. I'm sure theres a better way.

Ray K.
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep, gotta be. And we definitely don't want you looking silly on stage! ;)

Ray K.

strat56
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Tom, your PM box is full.

tom
01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
cleared it.

chasyboy
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey Tom...you'll have endless fun. I know you have one on its way but I have a beautiful double Mullen 8x6 if you want to have it for awhile. I haven't played it in a year. Also have the Peavey Amp made for pedal steel along with the Teltronics volume pedal.

I really like the BJS bars, btw....really helps with the tone.

ALSO - download or ask the Turbo Tuner guys for their offsets for tuning the steel. I takes into consideration the guitar 'sag' as part of what will make it more in tune (which means something to you...:).

Let me know if you want to mess with it. It's yours for as long as you like. Call me at the Brainyard office...and I can arrange to get it to you.

Brian

tom
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
mullen! wow, that's for the big boys! but you always have the cool gear.
i've got a single 10 coming so i can see if i remember anything from 20+ years ago. i'm sure it will be painful at first. will definitely call roger over at sonic research.
that is a very generous offer about your steel, but i think i'll start with this one so i don't overload my brain with too many strings and pedals.
i'm also very interested in a different tuning that allows for some strumming, gotta be able to do power chords:D

will let you know how things progress.
guess i'll have something to look for at namm this year:D

bud
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
but i think i'll start with this one so i don't overload my brain with too many strings and pedals.

I sat down at Brian's steel a couple of times when it was in the office and it gave me a headache. I have nothing but respect for anyone who can master pedal steel. Good luck and much enjoyment in this endeavor.

tom
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
my wife will suffer greatly with this i'm afraid:o the last time she said it sounded like i was stepping on cat's tails.

1990hollow-t
01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting B J Cole at a Chris Whitley gig years ago. Great guy and such a talent on the pedal steel. He's our most prolific player....

http://www.bjcole.co.uk/

morty
01-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Stepping on cats tail! haha.. I am sure you will be able to get som nice sounds in a while Tom! I am playing the Dobro just for fun, and have used it on some folk music project. Its a new way to play, but very fun when you just get into it! My favouriote players is Jerry Douglas! and I wish i could play the pedal steel like Paul Franklin!! the sound on his Pedabro is awsome! Talking about Paul Franlin, I am also a Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fan!! :-)

Happy Playing!!

Danny21
03-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Hey Tom, how are the cats tails? Or your wife's ears?? Hehe.... Hope you've een digging the pedal steel.

tom
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
with getting ready to move the shop, i've been busy with all those details and have not spent much time on it. it has been a very humbling experience. my right hand is not cooperating at all, asking what the heck these metal fingertips are for? enjoying surfing the web for info in my down time, and looking forward to having enough time to spend on improving tone and pitch. frets make everything so easy.

Danny21
03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Anderson Stainless steels make em even easier :D I would love to mess around with banjo, sitar, pedal steels but i confuse myself just playing the good ole' 6 string. Maybe one day. One day far far away lol.