PDA

View Full Version : Installing a pre-wired guard

Casper
12-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I've never done this before. Isn't it just matching wire for wire..unsolder one, solder another? Going form 3 VAs to SCs with Hum. Input anyone?

tom
12-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Should be as simple as connecting the hot from the jack to the center of the volume pot. The ground from the jack and string ground to the back of a pot.

markus
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
It's very simple if you know the basics of how to solder. I ordered a pu loaded and pre-wired pick guard from Tom some time back and it's in essence soldering 3 wires.
I guess the biggest mistake people make in my experience (me included when I started soldering a few years back) is using a too small soldering iron, which will end up not getting hot enough or might not have a big enough tip. But if you use the appropriate tools, it's extremely easy...
Hope this is helpful.

Casper
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give 'er a go..

dannopelli
12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Considering that I can do pretty much anything mechanical, I personally never do soldering. I mean, I'll work on things that require such fine detail, its nuts. Have put in entire bathrooms, done auto body and tons of engine work, repaired china cups, done PC and MAC tech, not to mention working on my own guitars.

But for the life of me I can't get a clean solder! I just make a big mess. Heck if I burn up a guitar cord I take it to a friends house to solder it!

Oh yeah, have fun Shaun... ;)

Casper
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I used to work for a communications firm in my younger days, and have soldered a mic cable or two...its been Years, of course. I need to buy a soldering kit. I know DT could do it in his sleep, I just feel like I oughta try??I just hope I remember which wire is which..I foresee a call to either TAG or the Fire department in my future:o

tom
12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
we can always send a pdf wiring diagram if you need it.

Casper
12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
thanks-send it to me in a PM if you don't mind?

markus
12-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Whenever I re-wire something I'm not 100% sure about (e.g. changed some pu's on my TAGs recently), I also snap a quick picture of how it was wired originally with my iPhone - besides writing down how it was wired of course. That has saved me a few times... :)

I used to work for a communications firm in my younger days, and have soldered a mic cable or two...its been Years, of course. I need to buy a soldering kit. I know DT could do it in his sleep, I just feel like I oughta try??I just hope I remember which wire is which..I foresee a call to either TAG or the Fire department in my future:o

Casper
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I had planned to do that anyway, Thanks Markus!

markus
12-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Having multiple TAGs with the same pu and switching combo of course always helps as well! Worst case, I just open up one of my other TAGs to see how it should be wired. Nice sales pitch for owning more TAGs, eh? :D :p

I had planned to do that anyway, Thanks Markus!

dannopelli
12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
...I foresee a call to either TAG or the Fire department in my future:o

NOW THAT'S FUNNY! I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE!:D

ConnemaraGuitar
12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
FWIW, like Danno I used to really struggle with getting good solder joints. Eventually, I broke down and bought a soldering station...just like the grown-ups at TAGW use. I got the Weller which I bought from Tube Depot for about $140. It's made a huge difference. For guitar wiring I use the very fine tips, since the wires and terminals are so small.

The real trick is in technique...let "iron" get hot, wipe it with a slightly damp sponge, then apply some solder to the tip. Here's the scary part: when the tip is nicely covered with solder, I "flick" off the excess onto the floor (not carpet or finished hardwood, dummy), but the concrete slab in my shop.

The tip is nicely "tinned" at this point. I apply a small amount of solder to the tip and hold it against the joint to be soldered for maybe a second or two, and then apply a tiny bit more solder to the joint (where the soldering iron is placed) so it "flows" over the junction. Then the soldering tip is removed. Most of us tend to use too much solder, which goes everywhere. Hence, I use small diameter solder (0.032") to avoid this problem.

Putting a bit of solder on the tip of the iron is needed to transfer heat from the iron to the joint. This is probably the most important element in good soldering.

Good lighting is a must, as are bifocals for the over-40 cohort. Most solder contains a little lead...don't breath the fumes unless you want to become a John Belushi impersonator.

Practicing this procedure is advised. Repeat until you've got it down: the 10,000 hour rule does not apply...10 minutes of practice is probably enough.

Another trick is to use "heat sinks." Huh? These are nothing more than heat absorbing clamps which are applied between the solder joint and the items being soldered. They minimize the amount of heat transferred from the soldering iron to sensitive components like capacitors or resistors. My preference is hemostats, but effective alternatives can be bought at Radio Shack for a dollar or two.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the joint to be soldered is nice and tight to begin with...if soldering wire to a terminal, make sure the wire is tightly wrapped around the terminal. This is the essential connection...solder is nothing more than the glue which keeps the bits together.

Too much information? If so, I apologize!

Casper
12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
ANY info is welcome..thanks Lofton!