PDA

View Full Version : Advice on M's

GASMAN
12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
OK. I've been playing VA's for quite a few years. Always been a "strat"--single coil guy. Can anyone tell me what to expect from two M1's and an M2 in the bridge, compared to the VA's that I'm used to hearing?

Yes-----I'm considering another Anderson. (I'm addicted)

Thanks.

lumco
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I want to read the answer to this question..

GASMAN
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I know sound "descriptions" are hard, but can expect: hotter output? not as bright of over-all tone? fuller (basser) response?

That kind of thing.

Pyrrhic Victory
12-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm very curious about this as well. How close to a humbucker is that M3, for instance?

dannopelli
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
First of all, they sound great and are very versatile. Everyone I know that has them or has played them remarked on how nice they sound.

OK, so take a newer Strat PUP, like a 57/62 or something, marry it with a P90 and split the difference. That is about the output. But without the noise.

As far as tone, they do not sound like Vintage Pups, but they are not modern either. Voiced warm and round, but still chimey. So lean towards the P90 as donating a few more chromosomes then the 57/62. And they will do ducks, but not as good as real singles. There is just a bit more high end needed to get real ducks, and you can't tweak that in. But they WILL do ducks. And that is important to a singles player like me.

But that said, unless you are playing them RIGHT next to a guitar with actual single coils, you won't notice.

Oh, and overdriven, they sustain for days.

I have them in a DTC, and a HCS. I can even get ducks out of the Cobra!

tom
12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
i usually say that M's are for the guy, like me, who can never quite be in love with the way vintage single coils work for them. singles always feel just a little too thin or the string grab just makes me crazy. i love the way others can make vintage singles sound but was never able to make them work for me. the m's are bigger sounding, but i feel like they have a similar ability to have the kind of dynamics that let them be pretty when played softly yet get nasty when you dig in hard. an m1 in the neck position gets me the greatest strat neck pickup sound i've ever had.
now if you've always played vintage single and they work perfectly for you and you've got your rig dialed in perfectly for them, you may feel like the m's are to fat sounding.

pipedwho
12-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Think of it like this:

VA - crystal glass
SC - bullet proof glass

M - polished steel
P90 - rusted wrought iron

HF - brass
HO - bronze
H - nickel plated brass
HN - titanium

:)

Pietro
12-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I think the CMAs in my Crowdster Plus 2 are pretty similar to the sound of Ms... to me, at least on a hollow guitar, they sound very "Gretsch-ey" but do a really nice job when you gain them up.

guitarzan
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Think of it like this:

VA - crystal glass
SC - bullet proof glass

M - polished steel
P90 - rusted wrought iron

HF - brass
HO - bronze
H - nickel plated brass
HN - titanium

:)

I love this!

csd
12-17-2011, 05:22 PM
agreed. piped you are killer at the descriptions! up there with roy..maybe ;)

pipedwho
12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I try my best. :D

tom
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Loves me some rusted wrought iron:D

GASMAN
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Hmmm............I really like the crystal glass ,but also would like to hear it bullit proofed. The rusted wrought iron was very cool-----however do not own any, at the moment.

Right now I'm interested in steel----polished steel to be precise.

Polished steel------Hmmmmmm...............

mdrs
12-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Oh man, NOBODY is up there with Roy.

......maybe........

:eek:

:cool: