PDA

View Full Version : greenback speakers for hi gain

pluto
06-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Has anybody had success with greenback speakers for hi gain amps? I'm used to using vintage 30s and classic 80s, but I'm looking for something different. And no, I'm not going to blast the amp, so I'm not worried about low wattage speakers like greenbacks or GH1230s.

tom
06-30-2004, 08:07 PM
neither of those worked for me, but i was using them in a 1x12. they weren't as big on the bottom, and the top end was too soft for me. but i think a 1x is real different than a 4x. they worked well for bruce in a 4x12. he ended up with the g1230's in his 2x12 marshall combo.

pluto
06-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks Tom. I was thinking about 4 greenbacks in a 4x12 cab (marshall ax cab).

sonicparke
07-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately I can't comment on it in a high gain amp (which might make all the difference in the world) but I have an 18 watt 2x12 with one greenback and one V30. They really compliment each other well. You might try 2 of each. I like it. Plus you can choose which one you mic up for a little different sound here and there dependnig on what sounds good that day. :-) Just an idea.

joe1962
07-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Generally speaking with high gain you're using the preamp (or pedals) to get the gain so you need the power section and speakers to provide a solid clean sound to amplify the preamp. I love greenbacks for bluesy overdrive and classic rock type tones but I'm not crazy about them for high gain.

What are you hearing that you don't like with the V30s and Classic 80s? If you have V30s now you might want to try mixing them with H30s. That combination seems to work pretty well for most anything, with the H30s adding sparkle and bottom to the V30's full mids. If you haven't done it already you might want to check out the sound samples on the Celestion website. They are a good representation of what the different speakers sound like.

pluto
07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by joe1962
Generally speaking with high gain you're using the preamp (or pedals) to get the gain so you need the power section and speakers to provide a solid clean sound to amplify the preamp. I love greenbacks for bluesy overdrive and classic rock type tones but I'm not crazy about them for high gain.

What are you hearing that you don't like with the V30s and Classic 80s? If you have V30s now you might want to try mixing them with H30s. That combination seems to work pretty well for most anything, with the H30s adding sparkle and bottom to the V30's full mids. If you haven't done it already you might want to check out the sound samples on the Celestion website. They are a good representation of what the different speakers sound like.

Joe, I don't have any problem with either the V30 or Cl80 speakers. Just looking for something new, that's all. I used to own a Dr Z Z best cab that had the V30/GH1230 combination. I thought it was very a great combination of speakers. The only thing I didn't like about the combination was (and it could have been the cab itself since it's tuned to a certain frequency and not the speakers) there seemed to be a lack of high end and overall presence.

michaelomiya
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Has anybody had success with greenback speakers for hi gain amps? I'm used to using vintage 30s and classic 80s, but I'm looking for something different. And no, I'm not going to blast the amp, so I'm not worried about low wattage speakers like greenbacks or GH1230s.

Mark, call me on this one. I've got the 75W Sheffields in the 300W 5150 straight cab (always go w/ the straight cabs). These spkrs are very similar to the Celestion G12T75's in terms of "brightness" and freq response. Also, I've the Silver Jub Slash cab (V30's) 280W, a little less dark (due to the size of cab and Celestions). Finally, I landed a MojoTone cab, 100W, (BV 25W spkrs). I use this w/ the 71 Super Trem/Variac/load box, for screamin' VH. I agree that 100W cabs aren't really voiced for modern hi-gain amps (ala MB recto's or 5150's or Ubers), way too much midrange honk and not enough wattage to dial in that tight low-end "chunk" you kids are always trying to get. I will say that my bonestock 81 2204 loves the 5150 cab. And you'd figure a Marshall 50W head couldn't possibly thump like a "modern" hi-gain head? maybe not. BUT, the tight, low chunk is definitely present, especially w/ those 280-300W cabs. So to answer your question, no, on the success of matching a single 100W cab w/ a hi-gain amp. but, maybe, on the combination of a 100W 4x12 and a 280/300W 4x12 -you'll get that mid-range presence and the low end chunk. It's just a matter of eq'ing to taste.

joe1962
07-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Joe, I don't have any problem with either the V30 or Cl80 speakers. Just looking for something new, that's all. I used to own a Dr Z Z best cab that had the V30/GH1230 combination. I thought it was very a great combination of speakers. The only thing I didn't like about the combination was (and it could have been the cab itself since it's tuned to a certain frequency and not the speakers) there seemed to be a lack of high end and overall presence.

Have you tried a Marshall 1960A cab with the 75 watters? To me they can sound harsh for blues and clean tones, but they excel at high gain, especially if the V30/H30 combo didn't have enough high end for you.

dpeterson
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
i had a mesa recto 2x12 cab with v30's and it was fluuuuuubbbbby on the low end.. no definition at all, I sat scratching my head wondering how anyone would use them at all with a high gain amp.

I have 2 4x12 boogies (half back metal grille) older cabs that have mesa black shadows 90 watters, and i've pulverized those over the years since the 80's and they are still awesome. very articulate even under the most demanding gain and volume.

dave

pluto
07-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
I agree that 100W cabs aren't really voiced for modern hi-gain amps (ala MB recto's or 5150's or Ubers), way too much midrange honk and not enough wattage to dial in that tight low-end "chunk" you kids are always trying to get.

Hey Mike, I had to quote you on the "kids" part!! Ha, ha. Man, I'm an old fut!! I was toying with buying a Marshall AX with the 4 greenies-thought it would sound great with the Camerons. But, this thread is probably moot anyway since I don't think my wife will let me buy a 4x12. The one and only 4x12 I owned was the Ubercab-2 vintage 30s and 2 GT75s-YUCCCKKKKK-that cab sucked big time. It retained a tight low end, but everything else about it was bad. My wife was more than happy to let me return it to Dan's shop since our house is tinier than a tin can.

(edited for grammar)

pluto
07-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by joe1962
Have you tried a Marshall 1960A cab with the 75 watters? To me they can sound harsh for blues and clean tones, but they excel at high gain, especially if the V30/H30 combo didn't have enough high end for you.

I played it with 2 Splawns modded Marshall heads at one of the local guitar stores. It was alright-I didn't have that much of an impression of it to be honest.

pluto
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dpeterson
i had a mesa recto 2x12 cab with v30's and it was fluuuuuubbbbby on the low end.. no definition at all, I sat scratching my head wondering how anyone would use them at all with a high gain amp.

I have 2 4x12 boogies (half back metal grille) older cabs that have mesa black shadows 90 watters, and i've pulverized those over the years since the 80's and they are still awesome. very articulate even under the most demanding gain and volume.

dave

Wow-that's the first time I heard a complaint about the recto 2x12. What amp was connected to that cab?

dpeterson
07-01-2004, 02:25 PM
my old refrigerator rack actually, was a triaxis with a stereo 2:90 poweramp... whenever i hit the gas it would fart hard... plugged up my 4x12's and it ripped.

Dave

dpeterson
07-01-2004, 02:34 PM
double post

michaelomiya
07-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey Mike, I had to quote you on the "kids" part!! Ha, ha. Man, I'm an old fut!! I was toying with buying a Marshall AX with the 4 greenies-thought it would sound great with the Camerons. But, this thread is probably moot anyway since I don't think my wife will let me buy a 4x12. The one and only 4x12 I owned was the Ubercab-2 vintage 30s and 2 GT75s-YUCCCKKKKK-that cab sucked big time. It retained a tight low end, but everything else about it was bad. My wife was more than happy to let me return it to Dan's shop since our house is tinier than a tin can.

(edited for grammar)

Mark, lemme gess, aluminum siding, dakine shake-shingle roof dat really shakes when da trades blow, eh, you live in one plantation 'kine house, o' wat, brah?!?

and yeah, combining V30's and those T75's are probably NOT the sound you'll want to match w/ that Cameron head. Honestly, I'd really try a 5150 cab. I really think that based on the gear you've been playing (modern) combined w/ the Cameron head (80's style mid-range sizzle), you'll really be happier w/ a high wattage cab. It'll keep the low end tight while letting that gain come through. let me know.

pluto
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Mark, lemme gess, aluminum siding, dakine shake-shingle roof dat really shakes when da trades blow, eh, you live in one plantation 'kine house, o' wat, brah?!?

Hey, that's my house!! Nah, but pretty close except you forgot the chickens in the back yard.

pluto
07-01-2004, 05:30 PM
and yeah, combining V30's and those T75's are probably NOT the sound you'll want to match w/ that Cameron head. Honestly, I'd really try a 5150 cab. I really think that based on the gear you've been playing (modern) combined w/ the Cameron head (80's style mid-range sizzle), you'll really be happier w/ a high wattage cab. It'll keep the low end tight while letting that gain come through. let me know.

Ah, we'll see. Next week when I come back from Hilo, I'm going to go to Dan's and plug in the Cameron into all his cabs. There's really nothing wrong with my oversized Bogner 2x12 with V30s, I'm just looking for something a little bit more "classic" sounding. Maybe, I'll buy back my Z cab from Dan, pull the vintage 30, buy a greenie and combine that with the GH1230. That would be an interesting classic sounding speaker combo.

velcro-fly
07-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Pluto -

I've got Greenbacks in both of my Bogner Oversize 2x12's that I run my Splawn and 101b through.....unreal sound. Like it waaay better than the THD cab I had for a bit, and the Shiva 2x12 cab with the CL's in it...

More amp GAS??? I'm thinking an Aiken Sabre might be happenin:D

Steve E

pluto
07-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by velcro-fly
Pluto -

I've got Greenbacks in both of my Bogner Oversize 2x12's that I run my Splawn and 101b through.....unreal sound. Like it waaay better than the THD cab I had for a bit, and the Shiva 2x12 cab with the CL's in it...

More amp GAS??? I'm thinking an Aiken Sabre might be happenin:D

Steve E

Eh braddah Steve, da guy with da broke da mouth poke, howzit goin'? Thanks for the reply! What is it that you like about the greenies compared to other speakers? As far as the Sabre, did R.Aiken finally finish it yet?

velcro-fly
07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Eh braddah Steve, da guy with da broke da mouth poke, howzit goin'? Thanks for the reply! What is it that you like about the greenies compared to other speakers? As far as the Sabre, did R.Aiken finally finish it yet?

The Greenbacks seem to have a warmth to them that lacks in the others....this might be because they're on the verge of exploding:D Although - my Splawn is a 50 watter and I usually run the 101b at half power....The tone is more saturated if that makes sense...FWIW - I've been on a pretty serious rocking tear as of late - and the Greenbacks are not the speaker I would reccomend for killer clean tones...Tim Rose has several Bogner 4x12's all loaded with different speaker combos - and we always end up going back to the GB loaded cab's when messing around....how's your Cameron treating you??? heh...Tim didn't know about the switches in the back until after he sold it to you...classic.

Aiken posted on the HCAF that he's shipping the first completed Sabres this week and that they are pretty much screaming! Got to check one out soon!

Later,
Steve E

pluto
07-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by velcro-fly
The Greenbacks seem to have a warmth to them that lacks in the others....this might be because they're on the verge of exploding:D Although - my Splawn is a 50 watter and I usually run the 101b at half power....The tone is more saturated if that makes sense...FWIW - I've been on a pretty serious rocking tear as of late - and the Greenbacks are not the speaker I would reccomend for killer clean tones...Tim Rose has several Bogner 4x12's all loaded with different speaker combos - and we always end up going back to the GB loaded cab's when messing around....how's your Cameron treating you??? heh...Tim didn't know about the switches in the back until after he sold it to you...classic.

Aiken posted on the HCAF that he's shipping the first completed Sabres this week and that they are pretty much screaming! Got to check one out soon!

Later,
Steve E

Thanks Steve for the explanation. As far as the Cameron, it's my favorite amp right now. It's just organic and ballsy. I just sold my Engl Savage because the Savage sounded too fake compared to the Cameron. I rarely play my Mesa Mark IV or Uberschall either these days. I was impressed enough to buy another amp and have Cameron mod it for me, but who knows when he'll get it done. As far as Tim, I still can't believe he sold the amp to me. He must have a monster amp collection to let the Cameron go! Thanks again, Mark

Casper
07-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I just switched my speaker in my trusty Peavey Classic 30 112. I had a 75w Sheffield and I put a Celstion v30 in last night. Immediately the warmth came out. Its too early to tell, but it may have shaved a bit of the high-end off and a bit of the low, but the mids are wicked, especially in the gain stage. From 75 to 60 made a big difference to me. Just my opinion, I think I made the right choice...

PS I also changed back over to JJ tubes from Sovtek!!