PDA

View Full Version : Crowdster DI question

paleolith54
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey guys, simple question: do I need a DI box or pre-amp of any kind between my Crowdster and the PA? I'd swear I've seen folks on here (I think Tom was one, actually) say they just go direct to the board.

Thanks!

ClayCromer
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Yes, you can go directly into the board. I haven't done that personally b/c I run mine through an AER compact 60, which serves as my monitor, and that has both a 1/4 line out and balanced XLR out. I have to say, that amp is PERFECT for the Crowdster. Bought on ebay several years ago. I usually run the C+2 in stereo with the acoustic side going just through that. But recently I've been going mono just using that amp for a change. But anyway, there are lots of options for you....as you know, such a versatile guitar. I always enjoy reading about what other crowdy users are doing on here, thus I digressed. Let us know how going directly to the board works for you.

I'm sure Pietro will chime in b/c he's pretty much done it all with the crowdster rigs :)

dplight
12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
In my live rig for gigging (today's setup anyway) I run stereo with the acoustic output going to a line input of a small mixer that is on stage with me. The mag output is going thru a amp sim and then to the same mixer. It works fine with the acoustic out going to the line in with no direct box, but the mixer is very close. If I were to plug into a snake going to a PA mixer I would want to go thru a DI box to balance and isolate the signal.

paleolith54
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes, you can go directly into the board. I haven't done that personally b/c I run mine through an AER compact 60, which serves as my monitor, and that has both a 1/4 line out and balanced XLR out. I have to say, that amp is PERFECT for the Crowdster. Bought on ebay several years ago. I usually run the C+2 in stereo with the acoustic side going just through that. But recently I've been going mono just using that amp for a change. But anyway, there are lots of options for you....as you know, such a versatile guitar. I always enjoy reading about what other crowdy users are doing on here, thus I digressed. Let us know how going directly to the board works for you.

I'm sure Pietro will chime in b/c he's pretty much done it all with the crowdster rigs :)

Thanks for the info and confirmation. Concur on Pietro. I actually have and currently use a PZ Pre, and have also thought of using my Fishman Loudbox like you're using the AER, but also want to look at results from going straight on, thereby clearing pedalboard space and reducing cable. I'll let you know the results.

bruce
12-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Simple answer: No, you don't NEED to run a DI or preamp because the output of the Crowdy is a preamp.

paleolith54
12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Simple answer: No, you don't NEED to run a DI or preamp because the output of the Crowdy is a preamp.

Thanks. My belief is that if I think I want extra tone shaping or whatever, then various EQ or modeling boxes might be in order: but in terms of the basic wherewithal to plug into the board, my thinking was that the Crowdster has that built in as long as my battery has juice. That seems to be getting confirmation.

Pietro
12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I think that an acoustic preamp/DI is great between the Crowdster and the board, but if you have to go right to a passive DI box or right to a mixer, the EQ on the instrument will get you what you want. But... before you do much, leave it flat, it usually sounds awesome right out of the instrument.

I think a Baggs Para DI or some such REALLY makes a big diff, though...

GDane1
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone try the Fishman Aura Spectrum with the crowdster, I assume this would work fine also.

Pietro
12-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Anyone try the Fishman Aura Spectrum with the crowdster, I assume this would work fine also.

I didn't like it. Others, however, have liked it a lot. (Somebody here I think... can't remember...