PDA

View Full Version : guitar lesson rates

slowburn
06-30-2004, 03:18 PM
thinking about starting to give guitar lessons. what's a reasonable rate? I'm in austin, tx.

JoeB63
06-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by slowburn
thinking about starting to give guitar lessons. what's a reasonable rate? I'm in austin, tx.

I give guitar lessons in Austin. But I don't need the competition, so I'm not going to help you.

Seriously, I started charging $15 for a half-hour lesson (or $30/hour), but I decided that was leaving money on the table, so now I charge $20 for a 30 minute lesson. I also don't travel, all my students come to my house. I know that the "Austin Guitar School" charges more that those rates, but I figure I'm not as good as they are, so I charge less.

pluto
06-30-2004, 07:39 PM
In Hawaii, I believe it's usually 18-20 dollars for a half hour at the guitar/music stores. Non music stores is a little cheaper-about 25-30 bucks an hour (not a half hour).

Joel
07-01-2004, 09:25 AM
I pay $83.50 a month for lessons in Austin. They are 30 min lessons once a week.

slowburn
07-01-2004, 09:31 AM
83.50 sounds familiar, I've been calling around to see the going rates. that wouldn't be one called pfluger rock or something like that, would it?

Joel
07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Yep that's them. I used to take lessons down at Austin Guitar School but I live up north so the timing wasn't good. Todd's school is up in Pflugerville which is close to home so it works out much better for evening lessons.

slowburn
07-01-2004, 09:56 AM
small world. I'm in pflugerville...

JoeB63
07-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I sure wish you Pflugerville guys would stop saying you live in Austin. That's like a guy from Teaneck, NJ saying he lives in Manhattan.

Well, at least you're in the same state.

:D

slowburn
07-01-2004, 01:15 PM
well i work in austin, and if i write austin, people know where that is, if I write pflugerville, people don't know where that is.

there. i've updated my location.

sylvanshine
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JoeB63
I sure wish you Pflugerville guys would stop saying you live in Austin. :D

The way Austin is growing northward, y'all will be called South Dallas soon enough! :D

JoeB63
07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by sylvanshine
The way Austin is growing northward, y'all will be called South Dallas soon enough! :D

Heaven forbid!!

Does that mean my wife will have to grow big hair??

Joel
07-01-2004, 04:37 PM
I sure wish you Pflugerville guys would stop saying you live in Austin.
:D

All right. I'm a Plugervillian and damn proud of it. I guess you're a Caveman right?

sylvanshine
07-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Heaven forbid!!

Does that mean my wife will have to grow big hair??

And shave her armpits!

I'm kidding you JoeB63 and the lovely Mrs. JoeB63. I love Austin! My favorite store is Guitar Rez, but haven't been to the new location. I'm down there in a couple weeks for work. Anywhere else to check out? (Please don't say Heart of Texas or Musicmakers).

Joel
07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
The new Guitar Rez store is nice. Well the building isn't that nice but it is much, much larger than the old store. They have a separate amp room now.

You can also check out Austin Vintage Guitar and South Austin Music both of which are on S. Lamar. Strait Music has a decent acoustic room. Its furth south on Lamar off of Ben White. Or head out towards Dripping Springs and check out the Collings acoustic guitar shop.

Joel