PDA

View Full Version : Medium Guitar Picks

Casper
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Whats everybody using these days? Fender? Clayton? Dunlop?
Why do you like them or do you change?

tom
11-08-2011, 01:53 PM
love the dunlop ultex. go back and forth between a couple thicknesses.

Ray K.
11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes...love the Ultex picks also. I use the Triangle shaped ones. I'm currently using .60 for guitar and .73 for bass.

Why...

They're the closest ones I could find to my all time favorites that are no longer made (brand/name escapes me right now!). I also prefer "triangle" shaped versus "teardrop." You have your choice with the Ultex.

These have just the right amount of flex versus stiffness for my needs. They seem to be easier to grip also. Last, they are durable, not that I'm overly concerned about that.

Ray K.

strat56
11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I use Ultem from Clayton. .8 I think is the thickness.

Ray K.
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
They're the closest ones I could find to my all time favorites that are no longer made (brand/name escapes me right now!). I also prefer "triangle" shaped versus "teardrop." You have your choice with the Ultex.
http://pickcollecting.presspublisher.us/upload/579/595/Flex_Back.jpg

Shown on the far right...Herco Flex 60 are the ones!

I had done tons of searches in the past but could never find them. Did a quick one today and the first hit has more info, including pics, than I would ever need. :rolleyes:

Also, when I said I liked "triangle" shaped, I meant the type with the rounded off corners.

And, I'll stick with Dunlop Ultex. $25 each for these is a bit much for my taste. :eek:

Ray K.

Briggs
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I use Dunlop Tortex .73 for the crowdy, a bit thicker (1.0) for electric... however, it seems I might need to give the ultex a try

tom
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
anyone else remember when picks were 3 for a quarter?

LearnedHand
11-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Yes, I do sir!

dplight
11-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I've been trying to get used to the Ultex .6 picks to replace the celluloid thin picks I've been using since the late 70's (that's when I bought the gross or so of the personalized picks). I'm looking to place my second order for personalized picks and am leaning toward the Ultex. I still prefer the .5 thickness for some reason but really like Ultex material. Coming up with artwork for the picks has also been a problem.

dannopelli
11-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Cool Juratex Jazz picks. As heavy as I can get them.

kevin h
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM

ah, the good ole days.

i've heard good things about the dunlop ultex picks, but i've been using the small teardrop shape picks since the mid '70's and i don't think that dunlop makes that shape in the ultex material. guess i'm sticking with celluloid.

Casper
11-09-2011, 09:35 AM
i've been using Legend Custom Picks for the last 4 or 5 years. (got our logo and my name on them.) Greg's great to deal with and the prices are reasonable. They are equivalent to the Fender med pearlesent ones but bigger and a little stiffer. I find that once in awhile i'll pull an old used slightly worn Fender med out of my wallet and I actually enjoy it. the pick I'm using may actually be too big? I am about out of the legend picks and need to order..so I may try some of these suggestions..especially either the Clayton or the Ultex
thanks everyone for the input!
shaun

Big Harry
11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
now you can buy one (1) pick for $70 ! :D (USA dollars , not Zimbabwe ones )
if you are fool enough , you could find chipper ones , for say $20 or $30 .
I am one of such a fools , playing V picks and waiting for Bluechips (2 of them) .

I think Anderson guitars deserve such a picks , doesn't matter if they worth so much money or not .
My 5-20 dollars V -picks worth each and every penny .
I am playing my favorite V pick for almost two years....
Will see for BC's .
Cheers! :)

guitarzan
11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I used the Jazz III all through the 90's, then switched to "whatever was available" between 2000-2005. Then in 2007 I found the Cool Pix with the grip tape on one side and went bonkers buying out every store I visited. Then I discovered the Ultex Sharp from Dunlop and have been using only those for a couple of years. Last week, my oldest son left a black Jazz III on my dresser and I've used those for the last week (after digging up 4 more from my pick drawer). I love the weight and sharp point on the Ultex Sharp .73 but I think that I can get a little faster runs with the Jazz III because of a stiffer pick and rounder tip.

It never ends.

tom
11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
years ago roy and i were up at gelb music in the bay area and after dinner one night we decided to do a pick shoot out. i sat and played till my fingers bled and they kept handing me different picks. it was amazing how different they all sounded, both by shape and material. for years i used the stubby from dunlop in the orange thickness but in the past year i have transitioned into the regular triangle shaped ultex .73 or the one that is slightly thinner, .6something.

guitarzan
11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
it was amazing how different they all sounded, both by shape and material.

Totally. I often grab pics and drop them on the counter to see how they sound. Some sound like glass, others like soft plastic. To me, that gives an idea of how they'll sound when being scraped across wound strings.

Briggs
11-09-2011, 02:06 PM
years ago ...and played till my fingers bled

Hey Tom, was that the summer of '69? ....sorry, I couldn't resist :D

BrownDog
11-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultex 1.0. Although I use the newer ones with the black logo, psychologically I like the older ones with the Rhino.

The first pick I remember using was a green Herco.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike

strat56
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I ordered some ultex and some nylon Jazz III's today. I've never tried them but figured it was time. I bought an assortment of V-Picks a while back but couldn't use them, I play too hard most of the time.

tom
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
the V's are too thick for me. i also miss being able to get an edgy sound with the edge of the pick. for sweep pickers they do sound good though.

Pietro
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I have used, exclusively, the Snarlin' Dogs "Brain" picks for about 8 or 9 years now.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=brain+picks&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1184&bih=622&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12636474731718275782&sa=X&ei=mM67TuCwD8uztweVvqXVBw&ved=0CHQQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

A lot like the famous Herdim Picks that all the Edge-wanna-bes get to do the pick scrape (which I enjoy occasionally). I like the sound and find that I don't drop them very often. Also, the thickness I like comes in RED and I can see them on a music stand or floor or whatever really easily.

Since I mainly play rhythm, I don't like the little stubby hard picks that much.

GuitArtMan
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Not a medium guy, in fact I prefer heavies, but I've been using the Mesa gel pics (the yellow, heavy ones) since I borrowed some at Winter NAMM 2010.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mesa/gelPicksAll.jpg

Shhh... don't tell Randall... shhh...

curtisjames
11-14-2011, 01:00 AM
v-picks. it's amazing to me that I use to lose my picks everywhere. I'd lose em weekly. but now that I've settled on the V's, I ordered 5,..... And still have all 5. I rub them with bow rosin before I play and they pretty much never get dropped. vinny is also a good guy and really cares about his products.

LearnedHand
11-14-2011, 08:23 AM
I am now using D'Andrea .71 mm