PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Rig Do I Need

djphaneuf
10-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Still consider myself a new guitar player after 3 years and not very good but nonetheless interested in some advice regarding what a good home setup would be for someone who just likes to play and wants to be able to practice and play along with a few songs.

I own a couple nice TAGs along with a Vox AD30 Combo and Blues Jr amp but find it is kind of a pain in the neck to try to play along with songs or work on a lick. I have a Boss Micro BR and looper pedal which are useful but I imagine I can do a lot better. I am guessing a laptop PC and some software might get me there. Do not want to break the bank but would be willing to fork out a couple thousand for the right tools.

Would appreciate input from the knowledgeable folks here.

Thx,
Dave

Babow2
10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
For practicing at home with recorded music, I just use a line6 Pod (XTLive in my case). You can plug an ipod, mp3 player, whatever into it, headphones and set any sounds you want.

dannopelli
10-29-2011, 08:14 PM
A couple thousand? Get a MacBook, HD 500, and a USB cable. Get a decent set of earbuds too. The Sennheiser series are nice. With these you can play along and advance to recording as the HD will act as an audio interface. MacBook has Garage Band built in. All you will need for a good while.

dannopelli
10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
That said if you just want to "play along get a pocket POD or something like that. $100 or so.

djphaneuf
10-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I sometimes use my iRig with iPhone if I am just doing a simple play along with headphones and it works pretty well but I have seen a guy playing solo at our open market with a little system to back them up and it sounds pretty cool. I should have asked him what it was.

strat56
10-30-2011, 02:19 AM
I use a Digitech RP250 and my laptop or iPad running The Amazing Slow Downer software. You can pickup a Digitech 250 for $100 and the Amazing Slow Downer software is $30 I think.

I run the headphone out of my laptop or iPad in to the Aux input of the RP250,plug my guitar into the RP250 and plug my headphones into the RP250. Works great.

Pietro
10-30-2011, 12:49 PM
A couple thousand? Get a MacBook, HD 500, and a USB cable. Get a decent set of earbuds too. The Sennheiser series are nice. With these you can play along and advance to recording as the HD will act as an audio interface. MacBook has Garage Band built in. All you will need for a good while.

This is a great way to go!

kevin h
10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Carl Martin makes a little pedal called the "Rock Bug".

It has a guitar input, stereo RCA inputs, a headphone output and an XLR output.

It also has cabinet simulation filtering with settings for open or closed back cab.

I plug into my pedalboard, out to the Rock Bug, feed my MacBook output to the RCA inputs and monitor with headphones.

I like this set-up because I can practice tunes for live performances using the same pedalboard I'll be using live.

I even used this set-up live without an amp once, using the XLR output right to the FOH and it worked surprisingly well.

djphaneuf
11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Good Ideas, thanks guys

curtisjames
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
korg PX4 or PX5. small, fairly inexpensive, tons of amp models and effects. easy to travel with and meet all the needs you have with an MP3 input, AC adaptor, headphone jack, 1/4" input. check out EBay and find a decent used one and if you need more, upgrade. when I'm learning new material and I've played it for the 10,000 X.....Im still welcome in my own home. All good ideas prev mentioned. good luck!

djphaneuf
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Bought it, now figuring out how to use it. Manual not too great but figured out how to select an amp with a few effects.

Pietro
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Get that thing hooked up to a computer for editing. You'll thank me. The edit software is very good.

dplight
02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Second on Pietros comments. The computer editing software is a piece of cake to use. I am slowly learning my way around editing from the front panel for when I want to tweek at a gig or at practice, but would not really want to start from scratch without the software editor.

dannopelli
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Note that there are some things, like switch postions, input impedance options, and location of the looper, that can only be changed on the unit.

But yeah, getting tones is MUCH easier with Line 6 Edit!