PDA

View Full Version : Floating Vibrato

uburoibob
09-04-2011, 04:20 PM
God help me...I am a couple weeks into this Shorty T and am already building my next Anderson.

Question: Can the vintage vibrato be set up to float and still give low action?

Thanks,
Bob

PS: It's gonna be a Shorty T with HC1- or TF1, TF3, Drop Top with flame (curlyish like Pearly Gates) maple top, swamp ash body, vintage trem, locking tuners, 1 11/16 nut, heavy frets, happy medium neck with rosewood board and satin back, matching headstock gloss, finished in Burnished Orangeburst with binding. (that's from memory).

dannopelli
09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
God help me...I am a couple weeks into this Shorty T and am already building my next Anderson.

Question: Can the vintage vibrato be set up to float and still give low action?

Thanks,
Bob

PS: It's gonna be a Shorty T with HC1- or TF1, TF3, Drop Top with flame (curlyish like Pearly Gates) maple top, swamp ash body, vintage trem, locking tuners, 1 11/16 nut, heavy frets, happy medium neck with rosewood board and satin back, matching headstock gloss, finished in Burnished Orangeburst with binding. (that's from memory).

Short answer: Yes. I have four with that trem and they all have low action.

bruce
09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
String action height is not depended upon a trem floating or not... So yes, you can have a floating trem with whatever action you desire. Also, if you are ordering a new Anderson you can specify how you would like your trem set from the get-go.

Stys
09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I had a few Anderson Classics set up to float a 1/2 step up. Just enough for some fun.

dannopelli
09-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I had a few Anderson Classics set up to float a 1/2 step up. Just enough for some fun.
Same here. Just enough to make for a pretend Bigsby sound!

uburoibob
09-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks all!

Bob

malabarmusic
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Question: Can the vintage vibrato be set up to float and still give low action?Follow up question:

Can the body under a vintage trem be routed -- like on the sunken Floyds --thereby keeping the bridge "flat" while allowing for pull ups of ~3 semi-tones on the G-string??

- DB

tom
09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
you could do that but i don't see that it would work any better/different than just floating it. 3 semi tones is asking a lot on a vintage style trem. what it would do is decouple the bridge from the body and with that, the tone would certainly be different, like a floating vs. blocked floyd.

uburoibob
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I just use it for a slight wavering sound but want to make sure I can get it high enough to not be banging back onto the face of the guitar. Is it done by loosening the screw to the piece that secures the springs to the body inside the spring cavity so the springs become a little more slack? As on my PRS?

Bob

tom
09-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Yes, loosen the two screws a turn or so then retune. Do that until gouge as much space as you need. the higher you go, the more you'll need to lower the saddles to get the action back where it was.