PDA

View Full Version : Soloway NYA H232

kirkham13
09-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Just picked up a used swan from Jim Soloway, inspiring guitar, check it out. If you squint real hard it looks like a drop-top-LOL
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/kirkham13/H232UsedFullLength-800.jpg
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/kirkham13/H232UsedTop-800.jpg
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/kirkham13/H232UsedPocket-800.jpg:)

Pietro
09-03-2011, 08:49 AM
I had a Swan in my possession for a few days. I thought the tone, fit, finish, playability were off the charts... about the same as the Andersons I've played (my buddy just got his Shell Pink T Classic, btw... what an UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous guitar and color!).

I wish I could have bonded better with that guitar it was so very nice... but I traded it pretty quickly for something that is WAY MORE me...

Jim makes an amazing guitar.

kirkham13
09-04-2011, 06:54 PM
The guitar is amazingly fun to play. It has tele pickups at neck and middle, and the combinations of the pickups and scale and lightweight body makes for lots of sounds. I hope to try his new shorter scale models with 1 13/16 nut soon... the one above is an 08.

tmihm
09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
That was an overwhelmingly fast ownership period, Pietro! I remember that one. Came & went. ;)

I've never played one, but have heard the same thing - excellent craftsmanship, but a funny scale to get used to.

Terry

I had a Swan in my possession for a few days. I thought the tone, fit, finish, playability were off the charts... about the same as the Andersons I've played (my buddy just got his Shell Pink T Classic, btw... what an UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous guitar and color!).

I wish I could have bonded better with that guitar it was so very nice... but I traded it pretty quickly for something that is WAY MORE me...

Jim makes an amazing guitar.

Pietro
09-14-2011, 04:32 PM
That was an overwhelmingly fast ownership period, Pietro! I remember that one. Came & went. ;)

I've never played one, but have heard the same thing - excellent craftsmanship, but a funny scale to get used to.

Terry

Actually the length took no adjustment whatsoever. It was the functionality and tone that was awesome, but not what I need for the music I made...

I realized that I just needed a Les Paul... preferred heritage, and found one that someone wanted to trade for a Soloway (yay!). It even had a Bigsby (which I have totally fallen in love with... Right now I never want a non-Bigsby guitar again... no lie...) and as of this afternoon, it now has a Fishman PowerBridge (all my guitars need to be two-voice).

But there was no adjustment and no issues with the Soloway. It was just that I needed something different.

Alas, however, the Heritage is now in my top 3 (along with my two Andersons) and my poor PRS is very lonely. It appears I can only rotate between about 3 guitars at any one time.

kirkham13
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
The swan in this original body style (as opposed to his larger hollow bodies he now solely builds) is actually a small guitar, and the bridge is shifted back on the body. It ends up feeling the same size as a strat, as well as being a lot lighter, even with a solid body, and very resonant. Its kind of like playing a small bass, and especially the wound strings get a lot of vibrance being longer scale thus higher tension. I have small digits and have no trouble playing jazz chords, granted I prefer to play around the 8th fret (LOL).