PDA

View Full Version : New Pedal Day

GDane1
08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Actually got it yesterday, King of Tone v4 from Analogman. High gain on both sides and set for OD yellow left, Distortion red right. Riot pedal and MI Audio Blue Boy may not have a long life on the board. Moved my wah in front of the board and was very pleasantly surprised. Much better/deeper wah sound through most of the pedal movement.

Two words describe the KoT, "thick & creamy". Very good note articulation. Excellent sustain.

Haven't used the Kokoboost much with the short DT HF1+/HF3+ since those pickups are so clear and powerful. Every PU position on my DT is very usable and enjoyable/different. I can see going to wah/tuner/KoT/delay and amp overdrive only. Will play with it a lot this week.

btw, I ordered this in April 2009!!!

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/gdane4/IMG_0997.jpg

allicio
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
congrats man
ive always fancied trying one of these but theres no way i could do the wait time id spend the money long before it arrives!

GDane1
08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, 2 + years is ridiculous to wait. I had forgot I put my name on the list. I was thinking I could sell it very easily if I didn't like it. I do like it a lot and it will stay on the pedalboard. Not sure it's worth the wait and $$ though. I didn't seem to be 'missing' anything before it arrived. Kind of like frosting on the cake. Very smooth, powerful, and well-defined frosting.

santellavision
08-29-2011, 05:47 PM
I waited about that long for a Zen Drive pedal.

BigE
08-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I waited about that long for a Zen Drive pedal.
And how do you like the Zen Drive? I use a Trex Mudhoney but have been kicking around the idea of getting the zen.

Also anyone have a high gain pedal they really like? I have modded DS-1 I've been using but to thin, lacks the punch and rip i'm looking for.

santellavision
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I really like the Zen. Very transparent and clean. Some say it gives you the Robben Ford tone. Well, maybe a little. That's 95% in your hands anyway. I've owned a lot of cool pedals over the years, like an original Klon. I would add the Zen to the list of great ones. The wait was crazy long back when they came out. I think you can actually get them quick now.

GDane1
08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I really like my Riot pedal for hi gain.

I like the mini toggle for different eq settings (hi-mid-low) so it works with all types of pickups.

strat56
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Barber Dirty Bomb?

curtisjames
08-31-2011, 01:20 AM
The Paisley Drive, by Wampler. Such a great great pedal. After Anderson guitars...my 2nd greatest discovery.

dannopelli
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Paisley for high gain? I tried it in NYC and found it to be more a mid drive OD pedal. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the tones, but just don't see it as "high gain." But that is JUST my ears, my amp. And I start with a pretty clean sound.

Same with the Zen, and I have both the Zen and Zen II. The Zen does get pretty gainey, but for REALLY high gain stuff I have the Hermida Mosferatu which is like a Zen on steroids. There is a kind of point where you can get them to sound VERY similar. But the Zen gets noisy at that point, where the Mos is still quiet. In other words, the Mosferatu will take off where the Zen leaves off. The big reason I have stuck with the Hermida products is they are really quiet. And yes, Alf's turn around is now just a few days.

I also hear the Wampler Leviathan Fuzz and SLOstortion are great choices for modern high gain sounds.

curtisjames
08-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Paisley for high gain? I tried it in NYC and found it to be more a mid drive OD pedal. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the tones, but just don't see it as "high gain." But that is JUST my ears, my amp. And I start with a pretty clean sound.

Same with the Zen, and I have both the Zen and Zen II. The Zen does get pretty gainey, but for REALLY high gain stuff I have the Hermida Mosferatu which is like a Zen on steroids. There is a kind of point where you can get them to sound VERY similar. But the Zen gets noisy at that point, where the Mos is still quiet. In other words, the Mosferatu will take off where the Zen leaves off. The big reason I have stuck with the Hermida products is they are really quiet. And yes, Alf's turn around is now just a few days.

I also hear the Wampler Leviathan Fuzz and SLOstortion are great choices for modern high gain sounds.
Agreed! Not a high gain.....its a mid. My Monte Allums OD308 handles that. My Zen and Paisly handle the nuts and bolts and I kick in the M.A's OD308 when I need to loosen the nails in the walls.

guitarzan
08-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Since the OP mentioned a King of Tone, I figure this is as good a place as any to mention that I have one for sale.

$375 to whomever wants it.

Yay for new pedals.

harritone
09-19-2011, 02:02 AM
I hate the word 'wait'...:rolleyes: