PDA

View Full Version : Pickup differences

pluto
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Can anyone explain the differences between the h2+, hn+ and hc3 (or hc3+)? Thanks, i am very familiar with the h2+ as almost all of my andersans had that as a bridge pickup. Also, what pick up splits the best for convincing single coil tones? Thanks!

pipedwho
08-12-2011, 06:46 AM
The H2+ is a good baseline to start from. It's spectrally very even across the board - not too much or too little of anything - and very robust in its delivery. This is my favourite pickup for chunking hard rock.

The HN2+ and HN3 by comparison have a very clear mid emphasis - not 'honky', but definitely edging in that direction. Being neodymium pickups, they have a huge dynamic range without farting out when the strings are hit hard. The highs are far more controlled than the sparkly chime that can be heard in the HC series. This is a beautiful pickup for driven lead tones where the mid emphasis is clear and direct, letting the amp work hard driving the single notes without being distracted by farty lows or ice picking highs.

The HC3 is a powerful pickup with a more vintage mid emphasis (the Alnico sound to my ear) and sparkly high harmonics. It's not as even as the H2+, in the sense that it has a bit of that 'AM radio' sound to it that is typical of traditional humbuckers. I love the HC series for those characteristics and the HC3 doesn't let the team down while providing a frying pan hot sizzle.

Regarding splits - they all split extremely well with some elements of their base characteristic sound (just thinner and smaller).

Big Harry
08-12-2011, 08:36 AM
if I may say , this is brilliant answer from pipedwho .
not to rip this thread , but what might be a difference between hc3 and hc3+ ?

i am looking for more distinctive difference between hc1 and bridge pickup (hc3 ,thinking that hc3+ might be a solution .
please check this thread with original question , audio clip included , with showing amazing balance between h1 and h3 in DT , which I want to achieve in my Bulldog as well.
http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=8549

(sorry again if I interrupted this thread :o )

pluto
08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks pipedwho for the most excellent description. Big Harry, no need apologize, i would like to know the diiference between the hc3 and hc3+ too!

tom
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
the plus is just a bit hotter and darker.
harry, or zoran, i think you're liking the big fat bottom that the h3 has in the drop top. there is a big difference between the h1 to the h3, so you really get a jump. there is less of a spread between the hc1 and hc3 and the hc series, as explained wonderfully by piped, does not have the extreme deepness that the h series has so the spread appears even milder. if you could handle the look of an uncovered pickup in the bridge position, the H3 might be what you're after.