PDA

View Full Version : Replacement neck for 1996 Cobra. Serial number 10-16-96P

sjanis
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I know Tom Anderson actually hops on this forum from time to time so I'd like to share my plight. Alread sent an e-mail to TA guitar. works.

My 1996 Tom Anderson Cobra..which I bought brand new 15 years ago at Manny's
Music in NYC...was stolen in 2008. Luckily for me the police report and serial
number was distributed to almost every music store and tech shop in NYC. Well
..I got her back however, it looks like whoever lifted it did a 'Pete Townsend'
on it. Take a look at the pics but make sure you're sitting down.

Anyway ...the neck and joint is still solid. Nothing came apart there so I
should be able to just bolt a new neck on it. I know the Cobras now come with a
3 bolt neck. How much would the original 4 bolt Cobra necks go for?

I really love this guitar and morned it for almost three years.

Thanks

SJ

GASMAN
07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Excuse me. I need to step outside for some air. (Gulp)

sjanis
07-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Ha...I know right? Isn't that horrible? I was sobbing like a little girl. That was like ...my kid. It is pretty shocking that I even got it back after three years. Kudos NYC police Dept!!!!

I have high hopes that I can get a replacement neck. The joint is perfect. No separation there are all.

I'll keep ya'll posted!!!

SJ

octatonic
07-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Man that is brutal- at least you got it back.

GASMAN
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, I would think a new neck could be put on. You're dealing with a GREAT company. If it's do-able, they'll do it.

tom
07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Got your email, we can definitely make a new neck for you .

dplight
07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Ouch! Hope all the damage was to the neck.

sjanis
07-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey thanks for the reply Tom. That's great news! So happy to hear that. I guess I should call your support/product # on Monday?

sjanis
07-23-2011, 10:21 PM
There is a bit of a chip on the side, the toggle switch is slighty bent and the cap is missing from it ...and I'm missing a knob but that can all be replaced fairly easy.

As I mention though ....luck was 'kinda' on my side. The 'remaining' part of the neck that's attached to the body is still very much attached so ...a replacement neck should just bolt right on. I have a luthier here in NYC whose built a few guitars for me over the years so he'll be able to slap on the new neck and set it for me.

bacos_630
07-23-2011, 11:52 PM
wow, that's just awful man.. mess anything but a man'g guitar! i'm glad that you at least got her back and will be able to get a new neck for her.

King Cobra
07-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Got your email, we can definitely make a new neck for you .

Seriously. See if the head of other guitar companies would get back to you so quickly. Just another reason to go Anderson. ;)

Did they catch the Sumbitch? Whats wrong with people?

sjanis
07-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I know. And I know that's how TA rolls. He cares about his customers. The Cobra is the best guitar I've ever owned. I don't want to drop names, but I've got 'em all. 22 guitars. Name it; I've got it. None of them provide the absolute effortless picking , fulcrum/arm position and the ability to pick every note like a Cobra. And I'm pretty confident in assuming that's exactly what TA went for when he designed the Cobra.

sjanis
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh ..and to answer your question. No. They did not catch the guy. The person that brought it into the store who eventually called me said he bought it for really cheap from someone else on craigslist. He brought it in to see if it could be repaired. The shop ..since they had my police report and serial number ..called the cops and they pulled up my case number. The NYC police dept. called me and said "we have your guitar". I was so happy until I saw it. Then...well...I was not so happy. Amazing that I even got it back.

GuitArtMan
07-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Looks like you're already in touch with the man himself. I had a new neck made for my HDTC last spring/summer. In my case I just wanted a bigger neck. Glad to see you got your guitar back - sad to see that neck - ouch!

mdrs
07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Tom will put your precious axe back to specs. I bet it ends up as if nothing had happened! What a great story. So glad you got your guitar back!!

Importantly, note that the neck broke mid way on it's shaft. The neck to body joint held, and from the photos seems to be totally intact.

Could there be a better tribute to Tom's neck joint designs?????

sjanis
07-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes...the neck joint is totally in tact.

RVA
01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Now there is a guitar with a history. Like one of those pets that makes it home to their owner by traversing hundreds of miles! Glad it is home safe and strummable again!