PDA

View Full Version : Tight Neck Fits

Hollow Cobra S
06-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi Tom,

Do you believe that tight neck fits enhance the overall sound and resonance of a guitar? After checking out Tyler, Suhr, Grosh, McNaught, and other high end bolt-on neck guitars, I am convinced that TAG makes the best fiddles. However, your neck fits aren't really tight compared with Grosh and Suhr. I personally perfer your neck fits because the necks are easier to be removed and I can't really hear any difference. Are tight neck fits more likely to cause finish cracks at the neck pocket due to seasonal changes? Thanks.

tom
06-20-2004, 04:28 PM
are you joking? how could they be any tighter and still be able to get them apart? we put wax on ours so they don't squeak. sorry for the bluntness, but next to fret jobs, we work real hard at tight neck fits. i have seen suhrs and groshes, and i'd have to differ with you. yes i believe that a tight neck fit is important. it can also be the cause of small cracks in the finsh coming from its corners. a little smack sideways or dry weather can cause them.

Hollow Cobra S
06-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Tom. After borrowing my best friend's Grosh, I decided to take the neck off. After unscrewing the neck screws, I found that I really needed to pull hard to get the neck out of the neck pocket and pushed hard to get it back to the neck pocket. I never have to do that to my Cobras. I can just lift them off the neck pockets easily and that's why I prefer TAG neck fits.

killerburst
06-20-2004, 06:19 PM
That's interesting. My 3 Anderson necks (DT, HDT and C-Special) will stay in their respective bodies with no string tension and no neck screws, even if I tip the guitar face down. I wouldn't say I have to pull hard to remove the neck, but they are a tight enough fit that the necks don't come out on their own.

bruce
06-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Hollow Cobra S,

Can I ask how come you take the necks off of your Cobras and the guitars you borrow?

Hollow Cobra S
06-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi Bruce,

I took the Grosh neck off the body to adjust the relief and I had my best friend's permission. I knew I did not have to take the neck off to do that, but I was afraid that I might dent the maple top by accident.

I took the neck of my Anderson Classic off the body probably three times over the years to adjust the relief. The guitar was made in mid 1999. Again I was afraid that I might dent the top.

I took the neck of my Hollow Cobra S off the body because the neck alignment moved a little in shipping. Again I knew I didn't have to take the neck off to do that. All I needed to do was loosen the neck screws a little bit and gently moved the neck back to the correct alignment. But I figured that since I was going to loosen the screws, why not take the neck off and check out the neck fit?

And this is how I found out that I prefer TAG neck fits.

dpeterson
06-21-2004, 06:15 AM
not that i'm doubting you, just speaking from my experience...

i have 5 andersons and all of them are so tight you couldnt fit a hair between it and the body. to get a few of them out i've had to work them out of the pocket, kinda wiggle them out. your neck must have shrunk or something, but with all tom goes through to make sure the neck settles and is stable during construction, it seems odd.

Dave

Hollow Cobra S
06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi Dave, that's exactly why I prefer TAG neck pocket fits. The neck fits the neck pocket perfectly (neither can I fit a hair between the neck and body of my 2 Cobras), and I can still take the neck off easily after unscrewing the neck screws that really hold the neck tightly in place. I apologize if my comments have caused some confusion.

andersonguy
06-21-2004, 09:24 AM
I stuck a quarter in the side of the neck pocket to hold my neck in place tightly, does that mean its loose. LOL (kidding)

After taking off my first Andy neck, I would call it extremely snug. The neck needed to be coaxed out of its pocket. Very tight but not so much that you cant work on it. I think the word perfect describes it.

AG

tmihm
06-22-2004, 07:38 AM
You guys make me nervous sometimes....:eek: :D