PDA

View Full Version : D-Tuner installed!

dplight
06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Late Tuesday I purchased the D-Tuner. Early Wednesday it shipped. Friday it is here! I was not expecting it till next week some time since it was West to East Coast shipping.

It installed in about 10 minutes at most, and that was being careful about it. Once installed I thought the tuner felt a little looser than I expected it should, but after the string tension was on it felt right. There is no learning curve to speak of. Use the regular tuner knob to tune to E and the drop the lever and tune the thumb screw to D (or whatever). I went back and forth with the tuning a few times and once set it seemed to stay tune pretty good in both positions. I'll get around to checking it with a tuner, but the ear says it works.

So I look forward to quicker transitions between songs and moreso eliminating that occassional oops when I switch guitars back to the HDT start playing and realize too late the last song was drop D and the current one is not. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this (more than once).

Stys
06-10-2011, 04:42 PM
What brand D-Tuner did you buy and where did you purchase it from?

tom
06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
have done that many times:o
a couple tips about using the d tuner. tune the E, flip the lever a few times back and forth. the E may be a little sharp, tune down to E. when you tune the D, i tune it 4 cents flat(normal E is 2 cents flat with bfts) and it works out great when fretting G at the fifth fret and E at the second fret.

dplight
06-10-2011, 06:23 PM
What brand D-Tuner did you buy and where did you purchase it from?

Got it from Tom Anderson. I've been looking around at different ones and thinking I could find one that would work with the least fuss and modification. A thread about a Bulldog got a bit OT and Tom mentioned that he used a D-Tuner and it was on (even has some pictures). Turns out he had one that dropped right in with no modification and matched up with the tuners I have and it has a big A on the back too. There's no other option at this point. Had to do it.

dplight
06-10-2011, 06:27 PM
have done that many times:o
a couple tips about using the d tuner. tune the E, flip the lever a few times back and forth. the E may be a little sharp, tune down to E. when you tune the D, i tune it 4 cents flat(normal E is 2 cents flat with bfts) and it works out great when fretting G at the fifth fret and E at the second fret.

Thanks for the suggestions. I use a Turbo Tuner and have it set up for BFTS. I wonder if I could add another string to the custom setup and make it a D 4 cent flat.

tom
06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
yes, i have string 7 as a D with a -4 cent offset.

Pietro
06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
That would confuse me as much as a coil tap on a Crowdster...

:p

dplight
06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
yes, i have string 7 as a D with a -4 cent offset.

Good. Now I have to figure out how to set the tuner up again.