PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a guitar begging for bigger strings?

BFC
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
So I have this new Classic with 10-46 gauge strings... And it's just so slinky and loose feeling it's almost begging me for 11-49. Granted I've been mostly playing bass lately so they feel tiny. My Short T has 11s and that guitar is just perfect feeling and sounds huge. I'm thinking the Classic needs 11s and tuned a half step down. Anyone just felt a guitar is leaning that way personality wise?

Big Harry
05-29-2011, 04:55 AM
I think the same for my Bulldog , 11's in Eb might be worth to try....
wondering if nut string slots have enough room for thicker strings ???

Pietro
05-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Used to like 11s on 24.75 inch stuff (mostly Gibsons and Heritages) and 10s on 25.5 inch stuff (G&Ls, etc.)

But I like 10s on my Cobra, my 25" scale PRS, and even my 27" scale Soloway.

I like 11s on acoustics.

And tuning down to Eb only works if the whole band does it... (That Soloway is cool tuned down to D, though! WAY cool.

BFC
05-29-2011, 12:01 PM
I've usually stuck with 10-46 on 25.5" scale but this guitar is just especially slinky feeling for whatever reason. Almost plays like 9-42.

paleolith54
05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
So I have this new Classic with 10-46 gauge strings... And it's just so slinky and loose feeling it's almost begging me for 11-49. Granted I've been mostly playing bass lately so they feel tiny. My Short T has 11s and that guitar is just perfect feeling and sounds huge. I'm thinking the Classic needs 11s and tuned a half step down. Anyone just felt a guitar is leaning that way personality wise?

I love 11s on a 25.5 scale tuned a half-step down, that's what I use my Classic for ('62 roundback neck). I stick with standard pitch and 10s on my DTC, though (standard taper neck) .

In terms of the intangible "personality", I agree that my Strat (seldom played, thanks to Tom) has more of it with 11s, even at standard pitch. I don't know why.

dplight
05-29-2011, 03:13 PM
I like 11s on acoustics.

That Soloway is cool tuned down to D, though! WAY cool.

Do you use 11s on the Crowdster? I strung mine up with 11s and the E1 string broke after an hour of constant stretching out of tune. Must of been a bad spot on that string. Anyway I didn't get a chance to play it amplified during that time, but it felt pretty good.

Have you tried the Soloway tuned to D with the low D droped to C?

paleolith54
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Do you use 11s on the Crowdster? I strung mine up with 11s and the E1 string broke after an hour of constant stretching out of tune. Must of been a bad spot on that string. Anyway I didn't get a chance to play it amplified during that time, but it felt pretty good.

Have you tried the Soloway tuned to D with the low D droped to C?

Better fingers than mine may get a better sound, but I couldn't stay with 11s on my Crowdster; I had to go back up to 12s for the sound. Sure did like the feel, though. I might feel differently if I had a C+ or C++, I suppose.

dplight
05-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Better fingers than mine may get a better sound, but I couldn't stay with 11s on my Crowdster; I had to go back up to 12s for the sound. Sure did like the feel, though. I might feel differently if I had a C+ or C++, I suppose.

I was hoping to hear that 11s sounded as good as 12s. I was thinking I could use the C+2 on more electric songs and the 11s would allow for G string bending a bit better.

Pietro
05-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Well... imho, 011s sound as good as 012s, but ymmv...