PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Landreth in Richmond next week...

Wbb
06-18-2004, 11:57 AM
June 24 at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Early show 6-9:00, $10.00. Any Richmonders interested in meeting there for a great show. I've been told this is a "must see" event for guitar players!

Bill

tom
06-18-2004, 12:14 PM
sonny for $10!!!! it doesn't get any better than that. almost worth the plane ticket.

Wbb
06-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Tom: you show up and *I'll* buy your concert ticket...if you sign my pickguard! :-)

Casper
06-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey Bill, My friend Tim is running sound for those gigs! I may just have to be a roadie! Have fun!
Shaun

Wbb
06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Casper: Are you referring to soundman Tim Wyatt?

Casper
06-18-2004, 12:54 PM
No Tyler...plays with Bill Roberts band. His co is doing all the series there...

Wbb
06-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Small world, Tim Wyatt does occassional sound for both Bill and me, Tim Tyler plays with Bill...it all ties in somehow!

I'm driving straight from work and meeting Bill R at the front door at 5:30 for Sonny's show...if you get a "roadie" break, come on over and hang out.

Casper
06-18-2004, 01:15 PM
It IS a small world! Thursdays are kinda shaky for me. (hard to get from henrico to Powhatan and back to richmond! I was only kidding about roadying, I don't get to help out Tim much these days because of scheduling conflicts. Hes a great soundman though, and one of my best friends. You'll enjoy his mix and PA. I may try to get a ticket to this show although this gig sells out in a major hurry! If I don't make it, I've still got your date in Midlo on my calendar.
Hope to meet you soon..

Wbb
06-18-2004, 01:46 PM
"I've still got your date in Midlo on my calendar."

Hey Shaun, my last date with the "old country" band was Wednesday. Unfortunately my wife had serious issues with me going back to late nights at Buckinghams, the club scene in general, and that's where this group is looking to play. It was the most fun gig I've ever had, really good vibe going on, I'll miss it. Our Wednesday practice included my replacement, a killer West End player using a sweet Victoria Bandmaster/ Tele...check them out at Bucs if it's still on your calendar, I think you'll enjoy it.

Casper
06-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Damn. Sorry I missed it. I also missed Dannos show at Potters on Sunday (I had to move a piano). With a rig like yours, I would have to insist on playing out often. My wife doesn't like to let me out of the house unless I have a gig, it seems. She knows I have to pay for the house somehow:) We'll meet soon. Sorry to hear the news, let me know if you get a pickup thing going (especially in frisbees!)

Wbb
06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
What a great show! This guy just flat out wowed the crowd of about 400. We got a space up front just 10 feet from Sonny and was able to see him do on a guitar, what I would have sworn was done with overdubs. I guess when you can expertly and efficiently use all fingers of both hands it stands to reason you can sound like two or even three players at once.

He used two Strats (trading off each song as they were tuned accordingly), into a Matchless head into a 4 x 12 Marshall cab...huge fat tone.

Shaun: Bill introduced me to your friend Tim...he did a great job on the sound. Met Lindy Fralin too. Nice event.

tom
06-25-2004, 06:20 PM
did he have the transperformance bridge on either of the guitars?

Gary F.
06-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Seeing Sonny live is simply a remarkable (and humbling!) musical experience. If he comes to your town, it is a don't-miss. I saw him most recently a few months ago, Tom, and the trans-trem bridge thing was affixed to his Les Paul only.

tom
06-25-2004, 07:52 PM
did either of the strats have the triolgy bridge on it? if not how did he deal with different tunings?

Wbb
06-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Tom: Sonny's tech tuned/swapped between each song...he did a great job for such a delicate procedure, no room for mistakes.

Casper
06-28-2004, 05:40 AM
Glad you met Tim, Bill. He has a great PA doesn't he? Those Yorkvilles sound just as good as my band's Turbosounds. Glad you got to meet the great Lindy Fralin, nice guy and monster player, I have had the priveledge of jamming with him before as well. Sorry I missed the show!
Shaun