PDA

View Full Version : balancing act

Rick
06-17-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm wondering about whether chambered guitars are prone to being neck-heavy (particularly with the T-shape). I know TAG's hollow-T classics are famous great guitars, but when the body's so light, is it necessary to compensate with a particularly light type of neck?

tom
06-17-2004, 04:39 PM
i have seen some that are getting neck heavy. it's usually not a problem. they do tend to hang more level, if you're a body low neck high guy you might have troble getting it to stay that way.

mbrown3
06-18-2004, 07:58 AM
I keep my neck a little higher than body (studied classical in college so got used to that posture) and haven't had any trouble with my HDTC, for what it's worth.

Hollow Cobra S
06-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi Rick, I have 1 hollow cobra and 1 hollow cobra S. Both guitars are not neck heavy at all. You just need to tell Roy and your dealer that you don't want to get a neck heavy guitar before placing your order.

Rick
06-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks! This has all been very helpful.

andersonguy
06-21-2004, 09:29 AM
I wondered about when I ordered my hollow T. After receiving it I have found it perfectly balanced. The most comfortable guitar I own. It did add a couple of pounds to all my other guitars though.:)

AG

tmihm
06-22-2004, 07:33 AM
My Hollow T was a little neck-heavier than some of my other guitars. Tom gave me a good tip....use a strap with suede on the back of it. It works very well to keep the strap from slipping / sliding. ;)

nickdahl
06-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by tmihm
My Hollow T was a little neck-heavier than some of my other guitars. Tom gave me a good tip....use a strap with suede on the back of it. It works very well to keep the strap from slipping / sliding. ;)

That's a good idea. My "new" Hollow T is a little neck heavy, but I don't mind because I keep the guitar slung pretty low. It's definitely not so neck heavy that if you let go of it it'll crash to the floor. It just prefers to sit a little low, compared to the body. Also, my guitar has a bigger neck (1-11/16" '62 Roundback) so that might make a difference.

Nick