PDA

View Full Version : Static buildup on back of neck of my Les Paul?!

Ray K.
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
This is a strange one that I've never personally encountered before, and it's driving me crazy! I'm assuming it's something to do with the finish that Gibson uses...

Btw, this is a 2008 Historic Chambered Reissue '58 with VOS finish/treatment.

Anytime I pick it up to play, as soon as I touch the back of the neck and/or move my hand up and down it, I clearly hear static noise through the amp. Even if I have my right hand touching any of the metal parts. I've check the ground wire with a meter and it is good.

Naturally, I hear it very prominent when playing clean. Add some gain, where the S/N ratio increases and I don't hear it as much. Still, not good!

Also, I've noticed that if I move my hand across the back of the neck, the static gets worse, to a point. If I then remove my hand from the neck and tap on any of the metal (ground) parts, say the tailpiece, the static noise starts decreasing in volume. After about 10-15 taps it has completely dissipated. If I touch the neck again...static immediately! It's almost like a capacitor...

I've tried different amps. I usually run wireless, but have tried cables, nothing changes the scenario. This is only on the back of the neck, not the fretboard (different wood/finish, of course)

It is still officially winter, but I'm in Florida and trust me, we have humidity just about all the time. Currently 92%.

I don't have this problem with any of my other (5) guitars.

I need some help/ideas, please!!

Also, I have taken some of the clear coat off the back of the neck using 0000 steel wool and then waxing it with Turtle Wax. This was to take care of "sticky neck syndrome," which has worked beautifully. I don't mind taking more clear coat off, if needed. But, I'm hoping not to have to take any other finish (color) off.

Thanks in advance!

Ray K.

bruce
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Try wiping a dryer sheet on the back of the neck and report back.

Ray K.
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
How goes it Bruce?

Yes, when I first got the guitar I tried wiping the back of the neck and also the control cavity covers on the back of the body with a dryer sheet. No change in results.

I still have the same dryer sheet in my rehearsal room. I wonder if it can loose it's effectiveness over time? If you would like me to try a fresh one, I'll be glad to and report back.

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Last night I tried a new dryer sheet. This didn't solve the issue 100%, but made a significant difference!

I had to wipe the neck about 3-4 times and I didn't care for the feel of the "coating" that the sheet left. But, I started playing it and had a really enjoyable session for a couple of hours. This guitar is sounding, and now starting to play great!

So, this is a quick fix - not permanent. Maybe I'll get used to the feel versus the glassy smooth and fast neck feel before wiping it with the dryer sheet. Btw, I used a scented dryer sheet, generic brand. Is there a preferred brand that might not leave as much "coating" and work better?

Also, I'd love to know if there is a better alternative. If I were to remove the clear coat, would this solve the static problem for good? If so, would I need to seal it to protect the wood, or is there enough color coat to protect the grain? Or, should I send it to someone to have a refin done - hopefully just the back of the neck?

Thanks for any help, from anyone!

Ray K.

EDIT: I'm still searching for answers and found this one. Someone claimed that putting a dryer sheet in the control cavity of his Les Paul worked. Something I'll try later when I get home. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this?

Ray K.
02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm still trying to find an alternative to dryer sheets, because of the film that it leaves on the back of the neck.

I went by a store today and picked up Static Guard in a spray can. Sounded like a great idea, but it did not work for me.

So, next I tried Endust for Electronics. I had an 8oz spray can already, that I had short of forgotten about. Anyway, I sprayed a bit on a paper towel and rubbed the back of the neck down. This wasn't quite 100%, but worked equally as well as the dryer sheet. It also did not leave a film on the neck, so I was happy about that!

All the searching and researching and I've never seen anyone mention this...

As an added bonus, I tried rubbing a dryer sheet on the neck first, which does leave the film that I've already mentioned. Then I followed that up with a wipe down with the Endust for Electronics. This smoothed out and sped up the neck and worked extremely well!!!

I didn't have the time to play for a few hours, so I don't know yet how long this remedy will last.

Also, I bought some dryer sheets today that were dye and scent free, which I prefer. They were Walgreen's generic version of Bounce.

I plan to stop by a computer store or Target tomorrow and pick up more Endust for Electronics in different forms.

They have a smaller 4oz pump spray bottle and also pre-moistened pop-up wipes. I'm thinking I could put a few of the wipes in a plastic baggy, maybe. These would certainly fit in my gig bag much easier: http://www.endustelectronics.com/products.php#297000

I'll continue to update as I find more solutions. I know I am not the only one we has encountered this problem.

Meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray K.

bruce
02-24-2011, 02:18 AM
All I can say is WOW..

markus
02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Exactly what I'm thinking! You dish out 3 g's for that axe and then have to deal with this? :confused:

tom
02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
static can be an illusive foe, sometimes it comes and goes with no real explanation.

Pietro
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I thought of a perfect solution.

It's a simple 3 step process.

1. Sell LP on eBay

2. Buy a Bulldog

3. Experience intense joy.

Just a suggestion, of course...

markus
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
You read my mind, Pietro! :D :D :D

Ray K.
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Tom, I really appreciate you chiming in! Your tasteful comment is insightful and helps make me feel better about my situation. :)

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Markus & Pete,

I can take good natured ribbing from friends, but unfortunately, that's not how I read either of your comments. Not cool! :(

I posted in the correct sub forum with a problem and have been asking for help of the constructive kind.

This is the only forum on the web that I choose to be a member of and to post on. Comments similar (and worse) to yours are what I see elsewhere.

I can only hope that this does not "kill" this thread.

Ray K.

tom
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
it only read like teasing to me. there's plenty of les paul owners here.
sounds like you did some good homework and found a solution to the problem. like i said earlier it can be an illusive one like when you take your car in for service and it won't misbehave.

markus
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Oh, c'mon Ray! You know we're only teasing...
No bad intentions here whatsoever.

Markus & Pete,

I can take good natured ribbing from friends, but unfortunately, that's not how I read either of your comments. Not cool! :(

I posted in the correct sub forum with a problem and have been asking for help of the constructive kind.

This is the only forum on the web that I choose to be a member of and to post on. Comments similar (and worse) to yours are what I see elsewhere.

I can only hope that this does not "kill" this thread.

Ray K.

GuitArtMan
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm with Tom - static can be very elusive, especially when it is dry out. I get static shocks in some of the weirdest places. My car especially likes to give my little static jolts (I think from the seat) as does my couch at home. Is it dry right now where you live? If so, can you add some humidity back into the air?

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
it only read like teasing to me. there's plenty of les paul owners here.Tom, thanks for being the ever classic voice of reason. Much appreciated!

Oh, c'mon Ray! You know we're only teasing...
No bad intentions here whatsoever.Markus, my friend, what can I say? Somehow you two "clowns" managed to get the better of me and I went into hyper-sensitive mode. I took my time about replying so I truly hope it didn't come off that I was angry with you and Pete. Not the case at all! I've done my fair share of taking good natured jabs and barbs around here. This is such a cool/fun place to hang out!

Anyway, I do sincerely and humbly ask for forgiveness for my part. :)

Now, what say we get back to the regularly scheduled program...I'm hoping for a good ending where the cowboy kisses his horsey on the mouth instead of that ghurly, yuuck!

Blessings,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm with Tom - static can be very elusive, especially when it is dry out. I get static shocks in some of the weirdest places. My car especially likes to give my little static jolts (I think from the seat) as does my couch at home. Is it dry right now where you live? If so, can you add some humidity back into the air?Hey Bob, Well I'm in Florida which is humid pretty much year around. Currently 88% outdoors. I don't have a hygrometer in my music room. I think I'll invest in one. But, in almost 40 years of being a guitar player/musician this is the first one I've ever played with the elusive static neck syndrome.

I've had a "few" guitars of various types and finishes over the years. Never a problem with static on the neck or pickguards, neck warping, fret sprout, etc. I also don't get the static shocks after walking across the room and touching something that would discharge a static buildup.

That's why I've been a bit baffled by this. I've read about, and am thinking it has something to do with the clear coat finish that Gibson uses these days (?). I was hoping someone might be able to answer this for me and let me know if there are any permanent remedies.

I'm willing to take the clear coat down on the back of the neck, even if I have to remove all of it. But, of course, I don't want to without being certain this will do the trick.

If there are no answers here, I may talk with one of the guys that Tom and others have mentioned that do refins.

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
sounds like you did some good homework and found a solution to the problem.Thanks. Yeah, I have been digging everywhere it seems. I basically stumbled on the dryer sheet/Endust for Electronics formula. Man, it I could only market this...:)

I was trying some other things last night. Do you happen to remember the Zerostat "pistol" by Discwasher, used for remove static from LP's (records, not the guitar). Here's the new version http://www.tweakshop.com/Zerostat.html

I happen to still own an original one, remembered where it was and tried it. It sounded really cool as I was "zapping" the back of the neck with the guitar/amp on. Very sci-fi and also reminded me of EVH using an electric drill motor near his pickups. Really quite funny/silly thinking about it... ;)

Ray K.

Pietro
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
For the record, I ADORE Les Pauls and am actually jonesing for one bad right now...

It's all good. (I hope.)

Did the zerostat work?

csd
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
ray, is the back of the neck have the 'gibson gummies?' i had a strat neck that was finished with similar stuff (did myself-don't recall exactly what my buddy had been using this stuff for?) but really resembled the same stuff on a paul. i was getting zinged in our winters as you described. my remedy, if you're willing to do/try, was i took a razor blade and scraped the back of the neck down. came off like using a plane on wood, in little curled shavings. but it did the trick and i have not had a jolt since. it came off quick and it was down to the wood, but i liked the feel of the neck much better.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
For the record, I ADORE Les Pauls and am actually jonesing for one bad right now...Hey Pete, Good luck with your hunt for one! Truthfully, I thought I was done with them (because of weight, shoulder/back issues). Mine sort of "fell in my lap," so to speak, to make a long story short. 7.1lbs of pure fun, IMO!
Did the zerostat work?Nah...maybe you would've had to have been there, but it was just funny to hear the zzzziiippp/zzzzaaappp sounds. Hehe, at least I found another "effect," though I've got to figure out how to incorporate it in modern worship music. :)

Hope you saw my reply to Markus above...meant for you too.

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 04:16 PM
ray, is the back of the neck have the 'gibson gummies?' i had a strat neck that was finished with similar stuff (did myself-don't recall exactly what my buddy had been using this stuff for?) but really resembled the same stuff on a paul. i was getting zinged in our winters as you described. my remedy, if you're willing to do/try, was i took a razor blade and scraped the back of the neck down. came off like using a plane on wood, in little curled shavings. but it did the trick and i have not had a jolt since. it came off quick and it was down to the wood, but i liked the feel of the neck much better.If you mean "sticky neck syndrome," it did have it. I took care of that with 0000 steel wool, 1000 grit sandpaper and Meguir's wax. The neck is smooth as silk, so no "gumminess mess" going on. Just the annoying static.

So...glad you shared your recipe!! That's what I'm very tempted to do, though I will be honest I had not thought of a razor blade.

I was planning to go at it with various grits of sandpapers, steel wool and
abrasive pads. I was thinking I would have better control over how much to take off. Try a bit at a time, check for static and repeat if necessary.

Btw, I did this to my '56 CS Strat which is a light relic. I also love the feel of the bare wood! Plays like a dream now.

I just found this pic today of the neck of an LP for sale: http://chrisguitars.com/gib80lpstandard-goldtop3.jpg

I'd personally like a less subtle look, but if it has to come down to something like that, I'm about ready to do it.

Thanks!
Ray K.

tom
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM
a thought, did it have the static problem before the wax?
also, if you scrape to bare wood, bare mahogany is going to be more wiggly(a technical term) with weather changes than a maple neck would be.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Tom, yes the static was already there. Good thought though!

I also would clean the neck with Naptha in between times I was trying different applications of products. I think that would have removed most, if not all wax?

I'm hoping not to go to bare wood, that's why I'll probably sand a bit at a time.

If I do have to go to bare, I would certainly want to seal the Mahogany. We can talk about that later, if it happens.

This is great information! Appreciate your time!

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I forgot to mention that I went over all of the electronics last night. Even though everything looked good, I re-flowed every solder joint.

I also checked continuity. Ground wire from cavity to bridge and other metal parts, including strings was fine. Ground and hot wires from output jack to toggle switch were also good.

Last, I rubbed the backside of the access plates really well with a dryer sheet.

Ray K.

csd
02-25-2011, 09:37 PM
ya the mahogany thing differs a maple neck for sure. the strat i did it to was a maple neck, actually the only flamed maple neck i have.
what if you were (hyp.) going down to the wood and then was it to seal it at that point with a wax or polishing??? not my specialty, just thinkin' out loud?

markus
02-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Never any worries, Ray. Sorry of we hit a nerve there with our comments. We'll go easy on you for a while now! ;) :D
One thing is for sure: we all want to keep this the fun place that it is! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Tom, thanks for being the ever classic voice of reason. Much appreciated!

Markus, my friend, what can I say? Somehow you two "clowns" managed to get the better of me and I went into hyper-sensitive mode. I took my time about replying so I truly hope it didn't come off that I was angry with you and Pete. Not the case at all! I've done my fair share of taking good natured jabs and barbs around here. This is such a cool/fun place to hang out!

Anyway, I do sincerely and humbly ask for forgiveness for my part. :)

Now, what say we get back to the regularly scheduled program...I'm hoping for a good ending where the cowboy kisses his horsey on the mouth instead of that ghurly, yuuck!

Blessings,
Ray K.

Ray K.
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Markus, Apology not necessary. But, gladly and wholeheartedly accepted. Please don't take it too easy on me though, I don't want any special treatment. Let me have it! :eek: :D

Ray K.

Ray K.
02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
what if you were (hyp.) going down to the wood and then was it to seal it at that point with a wax or polishing??? not my specialty, just thinkin' out loud?Well, I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm off base. But, I would put something on first to help seal the grain. You could shoot a light coat of Nitro - or, I see a lot of folks recommending Tung-Oil or Tru-Oil.

This should not affect the way your neck feels. You can then add a wax over that. It will make it glassy smooth and very fast.

Keep in mind that I have not had to seal any of my necks, so take that into account. I don't believe these will harm your neck, and you can sand them off if it's not to your liking.

I have applied wax to various necks with great results. I think I said Meguir's earlier, but I use Turtle Wax paste. If I remember correctly, Tom had recommended it in another post some time ago.

Hope that helps!

Ray K.

ps. After posting I located an interesting article on how to apply Tru-Oil to a guitar. Also a pore filler, but it is optional. Interesting read to me, see what you think: http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/truoil.htm

dannopelli
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Does it happen when the guitar is unplugged?
Does it happen everywhere, or just at home or at church?

(Maybe you said this already and I missed it, but there are a lot of posts and I tried to speed read.)

This happened to me for a while when I lived in VA. Weird, only happened at home and where my rig was, not in any other room. Then it went away. I never figured it out. Just wondering if it is an environment thing.

Ray K.
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Does it happen when the guitar is unplugged?
Umm, I'm not understanding what you mean by unplugged, Dan? Do you mean do I hear a static buildup or discharge when the guitar is unplugged? Hadn't thought to try this.

Does it happen everywhere, or just at home or at church?Hmm...I've only used it a few times at church so far, and now that you mention it, I don't recall hearing static. But, now I'll have to try it there again and see.

But, I also only notice this when playing clean. If I add any gain, from pedal or amp dirt channel I don't hear it while playing. I'm assuming the S/N ratio is good enough to mask it.
(Maybe you said this already and I missed it, but there are a lot of posts and I tried to speed read.)Evelyn Woodhead would be proud. :)
This happened to me for a while when I lived in VA. Weird, only happened at home and where my rig was, not in any other room. Then it went away. I never figured it out. Just wondering if it is an environment thing.Dan, was this a Les Paul by chance?

You may be on to something, though for the life of me I can't figure out why none of my other guitars are having problems. Things that make you go hmmm?!

Thanks,
Ray K.

pipedwho
02-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Static electricity is built up when various materials are electro-positively or negatively charged as the electrons are stripped/absorbed from the material's surface by rubbing against a material of differring triboelectric potential.

Some materials like air, nylon, dry-skin/hair and glass become positively charged because they have a tendency to give up their electrons. Whereas, other materials like vinyl/pvc, teflon, silicone, and polyurethane tend to become negative as they tend to absorb electrons.

The effect is most noticeable if your carpet/shoes/hands and the guitar neck material are at extreme opposite ends of the triboelectric series. Also, if you use a clean rag/cloth that is made of a material that is triboelectrically opposite to the material coating the guitar neck, then you'll end up with the same problem. The effect is maximally pronounced between dry skin and teflon. However, skin normally contains enough moisture to cancel the effect.

This is a huge problem on electronic assembly lines, and as such anti-static techniques and equipment are crucially employed.

Some things you can try:

1. Make sure your carpet/floor material is neutralised with whatever product is recommended for that type of material. This will get rid of any latent charge that has built up over time.
2. Make sure the 'wipe cloth' that you're using to dust/polish/wipe the neck of the guitar is triboelectrically neutral in relation to the neck material (try a damp cotton cloth if all else fails).
3. Check that your shoes aren't part of the problem (ie. leather is electrically very different to pvc rubber).
4. Hand moisturiser can help keep your skin from drying out and may also help if the problem is related to dry skin contact.

Ray K.
03-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the in depth words of wisdom. I really appreciate your help! I had pretty much eliminated all of the things you suggested.

To go further, I started removing the finish last night...and couldn't seem to stop. I would pause during this madness from time to time to plug in and see if the static was still there.

Well, about 98% of the neck, from heel to the nut area, is absolute bare mahogany. Finally, I am able to touch the back of the neck without static! If I still touch any of the remaining finished areas...static! And, still only on the neck.

Makes me wonder if the truss rod has something to do with the equation? This is a Historic, so it has the long neck tenon.

Anyway, though I am feeling quite confident that the culprit is the finish, I have now reached a point where I'm willing to admit I'm out of my comfort zone.

Yep, I'm going to admit defeat and send this out for a refinish (hopefully neck only) to someone that has plenty of experience doing such.

If anyone has recommendations on who to send it to, I'd like to hear from you. I want to get the ball rolling ASAP, so I'm hoping to have it shipped out tomorrow.

I can chalked this up to a few lessons learned...

Thanks,
Ray K.

p.s. I don't know if I just wanted to hear this, but it sure seems to sound much better with all of that finish removed. More "woody" and with that truly classic mid range "honk." Wow!

bruce
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
The paint Gibson uses isn't 100% nitrocellulose lacquer. They use something else, or put additives in so the finish doesn't check or crack like real nitro does. Is it possible real nitro won't have the same affect with static?

FWIW, I am having the same issue with a customers' Les Paul Standard, (non-Historic).

pipedwho
03-02-2011, 04:31 AM
The paint Gibson uses isn't 100% nitrocellulose lacquer. They use something else, or put additives in so the finish doesn't check or crack like real nitro does. Is it possible real nitro won't have the same affect with static?

FWIW, I am having the same issue with a customers' Les Paul Standard, (non-Historic).

Maybe they've started mixing in a bit of teflon or pvc to take away some of the tackiness? Both of those materials are particularly problematic when it comes to static against the skin.

Ray K.
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I certainly don't know what Gibson's secret formula is these days...

But, in all of my researching I've read many times that they are using plasticizers. While I'm at it, there are several reports that they put an electrical charge on when shooting to help in bonding. Just as I have, take this for what it is worth. Also, does any of this contribute to the very real static problem I am having, I don't know?

I just know with the finish removed, no static...

Bruce, I hope you are able to figure out the problem soon. Best of luck!

I shipped mine out today. They are going to do a complete refin, with "real" Nitro, etc. I won't see it for about 3 months, but I'm cautiously expecting great things when I get it back.

Ray K.

bruce
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I certainly don't know what Gibson's secret formula is these days...

But, in all of my researching I've read many times that they are using plasticizers. While I'm at it, there are several reports that they put an electrical charge on when shooting to help in bonding. Just as I have, take this for what it is worth. Also, does any of this contribute to the very real static problem I am having, I don't know?

I just know with the finish removed, no static...

Bruce, I hope you are able to figure out the problem soon. Best of luck!

I shipped mine out today. They are going to do a complete refin, with "real" Nitro, etc. I won't see it for about 3 months, but I'm cautiously expecting great things when I get it back.

Ray K.

Curious.. who's doing the paint work for you?

Yes, I've heard of the added plasticizers you mentioned.

Ray K.
03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
RS Guitarworks.

I had a very nice/comforting talk with Scott. I feel like my guitar will be in good hands.

I plan to leave the color/burst the same, but will go with their "Played, But Loved" aged finish: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=50

Ray K.

dannopelli
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Ray,

I do recall it happened with my LP and 335. Again, just at home. Not on a gig.

Weird.

Good luck!
Dan

Ray K.
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Dan.

That is interesting and useful information for sure. I appreciate your trying to help!

I'm feeling confident the problem will be gone when I get it back.

Ray K.

Ray K.
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
It's finally on it's way home! :)

As I was writing the review on the new Access Stage Three HT case I received yesterday, I got the call that it was ready to ship. 3 months and 1 week to the date. Scott had said 3 months, so not too shabby.

Funny thing is, I've done surprisingly well so far while waiting on it. I only contacted them one time for an update and it needed a few more weeks to dry. There's no way I wanted to rush them or the process.

But, something tells me the next 3 or so days are going to be the longest, hehe.

I hope it will be everything I hope for...we'll see.

I'll post again when it arrives and give my impressions of the job done by RS Guitarworks.

Ray K.

bruce
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Looking forward to reading your results.

Ray K.
06-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Whuuuooooww!! If I didn't recognize the serial number, I would almost think this was a totally different guitar.

It arrived late Friday and I played it for at least a couple of hours. First acoustically, then straight into my Marshall Haze and finally through my "B" rig with various OD's and effects.

I also used it live Sunday and was quite happy with it there.

I am amazed at the tones and versatility I'm getting. The guitar sounded quite good when it left here, but I truly believe the new finish allows the guitar to be more resonate, more harmonically rich. I am extremely pleased with the tones/sounds.

So, as for the complete refinish...again, I am truly amazed! The folks at RS Guitarworks did a stellar job. I have looked this thing over more than once and cannot find any flaws.

I have to believe the old finish was sanded off instead of using a stripper. Part of the original finish is still in the recessed area under the control cover. I don't mind that, as it helps remind me of why I took on this project in the first place.

The back of the neck is as fast as I would ever want it. It has that broken in feel to it. This one almost plays itself. It's effortless.

I did have them "age" the guitar as mentioned above. Their "Played, But Loved" level of aging. I am also very pleased with this. They did not over do it. To my eyes, it looks authentic and very appealing. Much better than the VOS factory treatment, IMO.

I realize some are not into this, and that is cool, but I much prefer this over a shiny/glossy looking finish. Especially when this is supposed to represent a Les Paul from '58.

I felt this guitar had good bones (or tone woods) and thought it would be worth taking a shot at a refin to correct the problems with the finish from the manufacturer. It's been a bit of a long journey, but I believe it has been worth it. I feel as if I have one of those rare, true custom built guitars without the huge financial investment.

I appreciate everyone's help with this guitar. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can, if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Ray K.

dplight
06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can, if anyone is interested.

Pictures are required after that post. I'm glad it turned out so well.

bruce
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
+1 on the pics... a must after this journey!

I know the static(y) season is over, but let us know if you experience any.

Ray K.
06-21-2011, 06:09 PM
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Top1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Top2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Top3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Top4.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Back.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Neck.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Head1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ke4unr/CR8%20Head2.jpg

Comments or questions welcome.

Thanks,
Ray K.

dplight
06-21-2011, 09:30 PM
It really looks nice. I'm not so much into relic'ing but I do wonder how the finish checking is done, and it does look aged without that beat to crap look treatment that seems to be popular now. One could easily think it an old guitar that was played alot and taken care of.

Ray K.
06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your comments!

I truly get where you are coming from. I absolutely didn't get the intentional "aging" or "relicing" trend until I wound up having a '56 CS Strat Light Relic fall into my lap last year. I love everything about that guitar. And then, I got it about aging some guitars. I wouldn't dare do so with my HDT!!! I do draw the line at a certain point... ;)

There are various methods to get the finish to "check." I can't say for sure how RS did it, but one way is to actually use a razor blade. I don't have what it takes to personally do something like that...too squeamish. So, I left it to the experts.

Thanks,
Ray K.

Ray K.
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I know the static(y) season is over, but let us know if you experience any.Yep, it's back. At home anyways. Comes and goes, though...hmm?! I didn't have any static when I used it live this past Sunday or when it first arrived.

Fortunately, I'm not as overly concerned about it now, as odd as that may sound. I believe all has been done to the guitar itself. I'm extremely happy with it otherwise, so I'm just going to play it and enjoy it!

But...I'm going to look into getting a hygrometer for my music room. Even though none of my other guitars seem to be affected. We've had 40% relative humidity outdoors lately with temps in the upper 80's. Our central air HVAC runs most of the time.

I also have electronics, including two desktop computers with dual monitors powered on 24/7 in my music/studio room. Add tube amps and effects powered up and it could very well be just a case of dry air. I've never had to deal with this issue, but I would like to think adding a humidifier would solve the problem.

Anyway, that's where I plan to start investigating next.

Any recommendations on hygrometers are welcome. I did a quick search and found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Instruments-00613-Acurite-Humidiy/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1308838765&sr=1-1

Bruce, were you able to fix the static issue with your customer's guitar?

Thanks,
Ray K.

bruce
06-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Yep, it's back. At home anyways. Comes and goes, though...hmm?! I didn't have any static when I used it live this past Sunday or when it first arrived.

Fortunately, I'm not as overly concerned about it now, as odd as that may sound. I believe all has been done to the guitar itself. I'm extremely happy with it otherwise, so I'm just going to play it and enjoy it!

But...I'm going to look into getting a hygrometer for my music room. Even though none of my other guitars seem to be affected. We've had 40% relative humidity outdoors lately with temps in the upper 80's. Our central air HVAC runs most of the time.

I also have electronics, including two desktop computers with dual monitors powered on 24/7 in my music/studio room. Add tube amps and effects powered up and it could very well be just a case of dry air. I've never had to deal with this issue, but I would like to think adding a humidifier would solve the problem.

Anyway, that's where I plan to start investigating next.

Any recommendations on hygrometers are welcome. I did a quick search and found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Instruments-00613-Acurite-Humidiy/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1308838765&sr=1-1

Bruce, were you able to fix the static issue with your customer's guitar?

Thanks,
Ray K.

Not able to fix my customers' Les Paul... but now that the season has changed, not more static.

Ray K.
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, I was hoping you had found a miracle cure. ;)

I did pick a hygrometer yesterday, and also a humidifier.

It is reading 45% in the room, which is just on the low end, if I understand correctly. I'll try hooking up the humidifier a little later and see if it changes anything.

Also, I don't keep the guitar in it's case. Wondering if that would make any difference? Maybe even add a Humidi Pak or whatever they're called?

Ray K.

tom
06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
45% sounds perfect.

Ray K.
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Tom. So, how low can it go? It's dropping and is at 42% now.

45% sounds perfect.

tom
06-24-2011, 07:23 PM
this is seldom a perfect world, but 40-50 is pretty perfect. i know my stuff sees at least 35% with no lasting affects.

Ray K.
06-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Cool. I guess I can return the humidifier then. :)

Now, I'm curious. Has any of your guitars ever met with the elusive humidity foe?

Thanks,
Ray K.

tom
06-24-2011, 09:41 PM
We get crazy dry weather here so if I'm careless I can get some shrink.one of my acoustics needs a drink pretty badly.

Ray K.
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry, I meant the elusive static foe. Have you had to deal with it either at the shop or with your own personal guitars at home?

Thanks,
Ray K.

dplight
06-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I meant the elusive static foe. Have you had to deal with it either at the shop or with your own personal guitars at home?

My studio is like a basement (although it's not under ground) and suffers from high humidity in the summer and low in the winter. In the winter I often run a humidifier and in the summer a de-humidifier is mandatory or the place is like a sauna. I've had static problems with my electronics gear (crackles and pops and shocks when touching things) and have never noticed and static build up on my guitar finishes. I try to keep the humidity between 50-60%. That seems to be the sweet spot where the electronics and guitars can both be happy.

tom
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Never had a problem with the finish. Have had a handful of customers with static on vinyl pickguards. Is always a temporary weather thing. We did start totally shielding pickguards a few years ago and that helps some too.

Ray K.
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the "411" Tom. ;)

Used it live yesterday. Pre-rehearsal and two Worship services. Not a hint of static and really enjoyed playing it! So, at least I can use it live, but maybe not for recording at home. Oh well...

Thanks,
Ray K.

Pietro
06-27-2011, 08:20 AM
So, at least I can use it live, but maybe not for recording at home. Oh well...

Move... :D

Ray K.
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, when the music/mood strikes I move pretty cool for a...HEY, I think you mean that move...

LOL, Pete! Go twiddle your Bigsby... :D

Ray K.

Pietro
06-27-2011, 02:14 PM
LOL, Pete! Go twiddle your Bigsby...

Thanks... I will!

The guitar makes me want an M1/M3 hollow Atom Special with a bigsby ad btw...

tom
06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
i know a guy who has a couple solid ones with m1 in the neck and hwhatever in the bridge...

Thanks... I will!

The guitar makes me want an M1/M3 hollow Atom Special with a bigsby ad btw...

Pietro
06-27-2011, 02:39 PM
i know a guy who has a couple solid ones with m1 in the neck and hwhatever in the bridge...

Unfortunately, I also badly want a job... and then some money...

but... I've had some good contacts, could be employed before too long!

Ray K.
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
but... I've had some good contacts, could be employed before too long!Sounds good, Pete!

If I didn't already know better, I would be wondering if you were "our guy." Wherever you are led to go, the people are already anxiously waiting on you, and that's a good thing. So, shout it out here when you get there!

Ray K.

Pietro
06-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Sounds good, Pete!

If I didn't already know better, I would be wondering if you were "our guy." Wherever you are led to go, the people are already anxiously waiting on you, and that's a good thing. So, shout it out here when you get there!

Ray K.

Thanks... not looking in Florida, though... My wife and I aren't "florida people".