PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Pickup alignment question...

JCD
02-11-2011, 03:35 PM
This question is for Tom (or anyone else that knows the answer)...

I noticed on my Drop Top 7 that the pole pieces on the pickups align in an interesting way. The bridge lines up quite well with the strings but the neck pickup does not. Especially when you get to the low B, the string is BARELY passing over the edge of the pole piece at all! I thought it was a mistake and asked Markus a while back and he said that's how it's done on TAG's. I looked at my Cobra S and sure enough the alignment is the same (comparing strings 1-6).

What is the thinking/design idea on this? I was always told that the common rule of thumb was for the string to pass directly over the pole pieces for an even-balanced tone. I've been wondering about this for a while.

tom
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
spacing is of course wider at the bridge than the neck and all the pickups are the standard spacing like most guitars. our magnetic field is so soft and poles so big that alignment is never a problem, they're just no sensitive that way. for some of our"anderson only" pickups, we have made narrower spacing neck pickups for cooler looks.

JCD
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
spacing is of course wider at the bridge than the neck and all the pickups are the standard spacing like most guitars. our magnetic field is so soft and poles so big that alignment is never a problem, they're just no sensitive that way. for some of our"anderson only" pickups, we have made narrower spacing neck pickups for cooler looks.

Oh interesting. Thanks for the clarification, Tom!