PDA

View Full Version : Bigsby problem

MapleGuitar
12-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I was using the Bigsby on one of my Atoms at a gig Saturday night. I don't do anything aggressive with the Bigsby (no dive bombing); but, about an hour into the gig, a did a little trem work and suddenly all my strings dropped in pitch several steps. The strings were suddenly very floppy.
My best guess is that the big spring re-seated itself and the tension dropped big time. For the remainder of the gig, I was struggling to keep it in tune (I think, from the change in tension).
What do you think happened? Any experience with this kind of problem with Bigsby trems?
(This was only the second gig I've played with this particular Atom.)
Thanks very much.

tom
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
have never seen that happen, but it could be that the spring or spring washer was not sitting flat in the hole when it was tuned up then it slid into the correct position. the only other moving part is the set screw that holds the arm mounting piece onto the pivoting bar. check to see that it is tight. it sits in a deep pilot hole so it should only be able to tighten in the correct place.
let me know what you find so i can know for future questions.

bruce
12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
This has happened to me a few times. After restringing, you must make sure the springs is seated. It's easy for it to get moved if you take all 6 strings off at once and like to wipe/polish the guitar at that time.

The tuning issue you were having was just a simple and completely normal string stretching/settling that occurs at the tuning post, nut, the bridge saddles, and the two Bigsby rollers since they now had different resting points after the re-tuning.

MapleGuitar
12-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I checked the set screw and it was tight. So I think Bruce nailed it. All the strings were removed during the last string-change.

The improper seating might have been at the top of the spring because it feels like it's easier for the spring not to be in the perfect position at the top, rather than the bottom, during a complete-set string change.

In the future, during string changes, I plan to rotate the spring when there is some tension, but before bringing all the strings up to pitch. I think that should catch any mis-seating if it happens again.

Thanks very much for your replies.

-FL

tom
12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
hey, didn't i say spring in my first sentence? :D

bruce
12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Yep, Tom nailed it first.

tom
12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
bru, you know i'm just teasin'.

MapleGuitar
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, it's great to have both of you here to help. That's fer sure. :)

tom
12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
we sure miss bru here at the shop. there's nobody like him.

bruce
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
And, for that matter, there is NOBODY like Tom.

Miss you too Tom. See you in January/February.